Ride On (2022) - Jackie Chan

SamSeed

This film will see Jackie playing an old stuntman who achieves fame after footage of him fighting off debt collectors goes viral.

It is said to be a tribute to Jackie's stunt filled career, and that actually sounds like a good character for Jackie to play, so I'm looking forward to it.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/golden-network-boards-jackie-chan-action-comedy-ride-on/5170613.article

• Like 4

That trailer actually made me laugh, and not in an 'the comedy's so cringey' way, it genuinely looks funny. Shame there was no glimpse of the action, but it's a good sign that I'm already interested in the story without seeing any fists flying.

• Like 6

QuietGamer90

As a first post, I wanted to mention that I have been away from any action movies from China/HK for the last few years. 

I saw this trailer pop up on my YouTube feed. And it seems promising!

Just like @SamSeed mentioned, I am already interested without any action being shown.

• Like 5

One Armed Boxer
11 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Does JC not make HK films any more?

Of course not, he hasn’t made a Hong Kong movie in over 10 years, and audiences there disowned him a long time ago.

Closest you’ll get is a brief cameo against Ken Lo in the 2021 COVID-19 charity flick ‘All U Need is Love’.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Of course not, he hasn’t made a Hong Kong movie in over 10 years, and audiences there disowned him a long time ago.

Closest you’ll get is a brief cameo against Ken Lo in the 2021 COVID-19 charity flick ‘All U Need is Love’.

Thanks. :)

The last JC HK movie I saw was Shinjuku Incident. Every other movie after that just looks so CGI filled pap.

Back in the day when a JC movie came out, I'd be all over it. I miss those days. :(

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 5/23/2022 at 3:10 PM, QuietGamer90 said:

As a first post, I wanted to mention that I have been away from any action movies from China/HK for the last few years. 

I saw this trailer pop up on my YouTube feed. And it seems promising!

Just like @SamSeed mentioned, I am already interested without any action being shown.

Welcome to the forum @QuietGamer90.

I agree, this seems like it could actually be Jackie going in the direction that a lot of us had hoped he would long ago. He's playing a character his age and I'm intrigued. I love animals and Jackie Chan, so... it could be a winning formula for this viewer.

2 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Thanks. :)

The last JC HK movie I saw was Shinjuku Incident. Every other movie after that just looks so CGI filled pap.

Back in the day when a JC movie came out, I'd be all over it. I miss those days. :(

Ah yes, reminiscing about "the good old days" when a new Chan film would be announced and I'd be extremely excited, immediately looking to see if it might play in any theater near me, or pre-ordering a home video release sight-unseen. There's been a lot of disappointing films in JC's later years for his fans, but I still- despite each one's deficiencies and CGI animals and nonsense- got some entertainment from parts of KUNG FU YOGA, SKIPTRACE, and even VANGUARD. They have their moments/scenes for me. Obviously a lot of the past decade's stuff is totally disappointing. Still, CHINESE ZODIAC (now 11 years old) had some great fight action from the star during it's climax (of course not at the same speed as classic Jackie stuff from his prime, but still some very cool action), and THE FOREIGNER popped up and was a nice change of pace for Chan and quite good. 

In spite of Jackie's real life choices, I still hold a (flickering) torch for his continued film work (and thanks to his past work he'll always be one of my favorites), always hopeful that he has more good stuff to share with us via film. I'm cautiously enthusiastic about RIDE ON that maybe it will capture some of the star's magic once again.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

In spite of Jackie's real life choices, I still hold a (flickering) torch for his continued film work (and thanks to his past work he'll always be one of my favorites), always hopeful that he has more good stuff to share with us via film.

Yeah, that more or less sums up how I feel.

Do I like the CCP? Not at all. Do I like that Jackie Chan cozied up to them? No, not really. Although, given the state of things, I'm not sure what his best options were if he wanted to stay in show business. He could've remained in Hollywood with his talent being underused/misused. Taiwan really hasn't had an action film industry since the 1990s. I don't know what he would have done in Hong Kong, since he was already losing popularity as I understand it before he allied himself with the PRC.

• Like 2

I didn't mind The Foreigner but I find that whenever JC gets a chance to act, he kind of over does it.

I tried watching Skiptrace (a whole 16mins) but I just couldn't be bothered to finish it. Johnny Knoxville being in it doesn't help.

JK should stick to breaking his dick doing something stupid rather than acting.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 1

Anyone see Accented Cinema's video about Jackie turning into a parody of himself post The Foreigner? Hopefully this and his directorial effort The Diary will be a course correction.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I didn't mind The Foreigner but I find that whenever JC gets a chance to act, he kind of over does it.

I tried watching Skiptrace (a whole 16mins) but I just couldn't be bothered to finish it. Johnny Knoxville being in it doesn't help.

JK should stick to breaking his dick doing something stupid rather than acting.

I think Jackies a good actor, its just we're so used to him being knockabout Police Story stuntman, its going to be naturally jarring seeing him being totally different- its kind of like a sense memory thing.

• Like 1

Owen_Johnston

In my opinion, Jackie's top 3 movies since 2000 are Shinjuku Incident, New Police Story and The Foreigner. The darker themes suit his age and the CCP sponsored CGI family fun movies are just ruining his career at this point. He is basically risking becoming the Asian Bruce Willis / Stephen Seagal. Which is a shame as he was also a great director, so he could've semi-retired from acting and still direct great action movies and appear in the occasional darker police thriller/drama the way the likes of Clint Eastwood has done.

• Like 2

I saw the trailer on Facebook a few days ago and this horse looked so funny that it gave me the idea to buy this movie.

• Like 1

36tripsofdeath
On 3/28/2023 at 5:27 AM, Owen_Johnston said:

In my opinion, Jackie's top 3 movies since 2000 are Shinjuku Incident, New Police Story and The Foreigner. The darker themes suit his age and the CCP sponsored CGI family fun movies are just ruining his career at this point. He is basically risking becoming the Asian Bruce Willis / Stephen Seagal. Which is a shame as he was also a great director, so he could've semi-retired from acting and still direct great action movies and appear in the occasional darker police thriller/drama the way the likes of Clint Eastwood has done.

Since 2000, I have only liked six of Jackie's movies.Chronologically, they are Rush Hour 2, The Medallion, Twins Effect, Spy Next Door, The Foreigner, and Bleeding Steel. These are all very good to great movies. I really love some scenes in Looking For Jackie and think Jackie did an excellent job with his role, as did the lead and his grandmother. The modern day scenes in Forbidden Kingdom I like as do I some scenes in Rush Hour 3 and New Police Story. Daniel Wu was excellent in Shinjuku Incident and I liked the gore in that film but that's it. 

The rest of the film's since 2000? Yikes, pretty much a disaster.

Jackie should return to Hollywood to star in films there and just direct films in China. It seems like the best career path for him at this point.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 1:41 AM, 36tripsofdeath said:

Since 2000, I have only liked six of Jackie's movies.Chronologically, they are Rush Hour 2, The Medallion, Twins Effect, Spy Next Door, The Foreigner, and Bleeding Steel. These are all very good to great movies. I really love some scenes in Looking For Jackie and think Jackie did an excellent job with his role, as did the lead and his grandmother. The modern day scenes in Forbidden Kingdom I like as do I some scenes in Rush Hour 3 and New Police Story. Daniel Wu was excellent in Shinjuku Incident and I liked the gore in that film but that's it. 

The rest of the film's since 2000? Yikes, pretty much a disaster.

Jackie should return to Hollywood to star in films there and just direct films in China. It seems like the best career path for him at this point.

I still think the final fight of Chinese Zodiac is one of the best things he's done post-2000, it had me grinning from ear to ear all the way through (the rest of the film, admittedly, not so much)

• Like 2

Apparently this is released in UK cinemas on Friday, the 7th. I haven't seen one cinema listing except the London premiere, is it actually coming out?

23 hours ago, SamSeed said:

Apparently this is released in UK cinemas on Friday, the 7th. I haven't seen one cinema listing except the London premiere, is it actually coming out?

got my ticket for this Friday looking forward to it 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:48 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

Does JC not make HK films any more?

Most Hong Kong actors and directors have gone from genuine HK film-making to making co-productions since the early 2000s. Co-productions took it to another level in the mid 2000s and has stayed that way ever since. Jackie's last genuine HK movie was The Accidental Spy, which was strictly produced by Golden Harvest.

I don't know, this looks underwhelming and just not interesting. In my opinion, Jackie hasn't made anything good since The Foreigner, and I was hoping to see him in more movies similar to that one. With him pushing his 70s, I'm not sure if he should continue pursuing acting (since he keeps churning out crap) or if it's time to hang up the gloves for good and focus more on working behind the scenes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DiP said:

With him pushing his 70s, I'm not sure if he should continue pursuing acting (since he keeps churning out crap) or if it's time to hang up the gloves for good and focus more on working behind the scenes.

Copy&paste for literally every "last action hero".

Super Ninja

Since it's a Jackie movie, I'm definitely gonna watch. Am I excited after seeing that trailer? No, not really. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, laagi said:

Copy&paste for literally every "last action hero".

Can't disagree. However, if they still wanna continue then that's their choice. More goodness from the vets is always good.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1