Śakra (2023) - Donnie Yen, Chen Yuqi, Cya Liu, Wu Yue

Donnie Yen will star in this adaptation of the classical 1963 wuxia novel Demi-Gods & Semi-Devils, which has been adapted to movies many times before, with Yen playing the character of Qiao Feng.

The movie will be directed by Steve Cheng (Man WantedTroublesome Night), and produced by Yen himself and Wong Jing. Shooting starts in July.

SAKRA-EMBED-2022.webp

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-donnie-yen-to-star-in-chinese-tentpole-sakra-exclusive-1235148414/

Edited by DiP
  • Like 4

This is the same source material as Dragon Chronicles, right? I wonder how it would compare it terms of plot coherence.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DrNgor said:

This is the same source material as Dragon Chronicles, right? I wonder how it would compare it terms of plot coherence.

Correct.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

In the books, Qiao Feng is one of, if not the best fighter of his time in the Martial World, and an interesting character. I am really looking forward to this. Hopefully Donnie Yen will show off his skills apart from CGI. BATTLE WIZARD only covers a ridiculous little part of the books, and few of the actual main characters (which is understandable as there are 5 tomes and the movie is really short) while in DRAGON CHRONICLES the source material is barely recognizable. So hopefully this movie will do Jin Yong some justice, as it's a really amazing epic tale. I had more or less given up on watching new movies but I will not miss this one.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

BATTLE WIZARD only covers a ridiculous little part of the books, and few of the actual main characters (which is understandable as there are 5 tomes and the movie is really short) while in DRAGON CHRONICLES the source material is barely recognizable.

Is this film an actual movie, or an edited version of the TV series?

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, Drunken Monk said:

So just another CGI filled fantasy movie? Great.

Donnie is picky with choosing roles these days so I think he chose this project because he must've seen something unique in the material. If that's the case, I hope this movie will be more in line with what he personally envisions, with himself also doing the action choreography.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

thundered mantis

Hope you'd be right about this one @DiP. I fear he has just seen another cash in and fat check on a familiar ground and on what the Chinese audience expects from him. 

What's his last noteworthy wu xia/swordsplay film, on terms of fighting choreography? I'd say only 2 films on the last 15 years, one being Wu Xia and the other The Lost Bladesman. Apart from that, we got bad CGI, awkward wielding weapons, 4 layers of dresses that limit the natural movementand and wires galore. I pray he stops the period films and gives us at least another modern thriller before turning too old. 

• Like 2

You bet me to it... The Lost Bladesman and Wu Xia are pretty much it in terms of wuxia sub-genre.

As for modern action movies... We've got John Wick 4 next year but I do agree with you. He should focus doing more moderns before he slows down.

• Like 3

Majin Android
On 5/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, thundered mantis said:

Hope you'd be right about this one @DiP. I fear he has just seen another cash in and fat check on a familiar ground and on what the Chinese audience expects from him. 

What's his last noteworthy wu xia/swordsplay film, on terms of fighting choreography? I'd say only 2 films on the last 15 years, one being Wu Xia and the other The Lost Bladesman. Apart from that, we got bad CGI, awkward wielding weapons, 4 layers of dresses that limit the natural movementand and wires galore. I pray he stops the period films and gives us at least another modern thriller before turning too old. 

god forbid he gets paid and takes care of his family

• Like 2

thundered mantis
6 hours ago, Majin Android said:

It's just that I would prefer that he was paid doing more grounded kung fu or modern day actioners. What you implied of my words was absolutely not deductible from them mate. 

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
9 hours ago, Majin Android said:

Does that mean we shouldn't judge Jackie Chan for Kung Fu Yoga? Or even Jared Leto for Morbius

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Does that mean we shouldn't judge Jackie Chan for Kung Fu Yoga?

Well, we can judge Jackie because he's big enough to choose his own roles and has more than enough to live the rest of his life in relative comfort.

Jared Leto...I dunno.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Well, we can judge Jackie because he's big enough to choose his own roles and has more than enough to live the rest of his life in relative comfort.

Jared Leto...I dunno.

Maybe you're right. It seems Jackie Chan's net worth is $350 million, while Donnie's is only $40 million.

Still, I think we can judge actors for choosing bad films.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Maybe you're right. It seems Jackie Chan's net worth is $350 million, while Donnie's is only $40 million.

Still, I think we can judge actors for choosing bad films.

I think it depends. I won't fault Scott Adkins as much for choosing a bad script as I might Jackie or Donnie. People who bitch about Adkins movies looking like he did it for the paycheck really should stop and think about it more.

We can fault the more established actors like Jackie and Donnie for choosing crappy scripts. But if it was a decent script ruined by bad direction or bland acting from a good-looking but less-talented supporting cast, you can't fault them too much...unless they were also serving in a Producer capacity.

• Like 2

thundered mantis

Me, I don´t even critizise them for choosing projetcs just on payment basis. I simply regret when those projects are bad wu xia efforts, ´cause those aren´t my particular cup of tea. If they give me the things I like, I´ll be happier than if they don´t. I think every one of us will be the same.

• Like 2

Guys... This movie was announced only two weeks ago and y'all already predicting a bad movie based on the type of story it will be about. At least wait till trailers are available before judging :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Veteran Japanese action director Kenji Tanigaki, who is handling the action scenes, has confirmed that shooting has wrapped. It's being prepped for a release during Lunar New Year.

• Like 3

Donnie Yen interview on the movie. He's not only the lead actor but is also producing, and directing (and action directing) the movie, making his 6th directorial movie since 2004's Protégé Dela Rose Noire.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/donnie-yen-sakra-interview-1235247231/

Edited by DiP
  • Like 2