Death Ring (1984) Chang Cheh

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I recently got through watching the shambles of a movie that was 1984's 'Death Ring', made the same year as 'The Shanghai 13'. Apparently Chang Cheh only directed the first half hour of this, which feels like a different movie all together (including the time period it's set in!), and Lu Feng was left to direct the rest in Thailand. Curious to know if anyone's seen this one and actually enjoyed it! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/death-ring-1984-review-cheng-cheh/

Spoiler Warning: This clip is the final fight - 

Death-Ring.jpg.f2e1e6ea7571aa15a037f01b287438b9.jpg

• Like 7

venomsreviews
8 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Curious to know if anyone's seen this one and actually enjoyed it!

I have seen this film quite a few times now. I discovered it maybe a year or two ago, and I actually did enjoy it. I have referenced it a few times on here myself! I really liked the fight scenes, and as I mentioned in one of my other posts, I was interested in the other elements of the film as well. I am a big fan of Lee Chung-Yat and Lu Feng, so I was quite excited that Lu Feng brought him to star in the film. I also appreciated that he chose to use some Thai actors, since I had not been introduced to many before. I thought both of them did excellent jobs. I did not really mind that it felt like two different movies. Neither did I get bored with it! It was quite interesting to me overall.

• Like 5

dionbrother

Watched it a few years back and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'd buy a buy blu ray in heart beat.  More interesting than its reputation would suggest.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

J.J. Hayden
25 minutes ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

The Better "Death Ring" unlike the 1992 film, lol.I wish this was on Blu-Ray.

The one with Billy Drago? I have that on DVD, it's a very odd film. For US martial arts movie fans there's some interesting cast members such as: Mike Norris; Chad McQueen and Victor Quintero. But overall there's nothing much to see here.

• Like 4

J.J. Hayden
12 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Lu Feng was left to direct the rest in Thailand.

Filmed in Thailand around 1984? I wonder if Panna had any involvement.

• Like 3

TheFlyingPanda
36 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

The one with Billy Drago? I have that on DVD, it's a very odd film. For US martial arts movie fans there's some interesting cast members such as: Mike Norris; Chad McQueen and Victor Quintero. But overall there's nothing much to see here.

Yup! that's the one, very odd indeed, it can be thrown in late night US Martial arts viewing and I actually have it  on Blu-Ray.

• Like 4