Tony Jaa Interview - Rush Hour 3 & Ong Bak 2

Guest limubai2000

Guest limubai2000

From Rotten Tomatoes -

Senh Duong writes: "On the day I was planning to leave for vacation, I was given the task to interview Tony Jaa at the Four Seasons hotel in San Francisco early morning. He was in the area promoting "The Protector" (aka "Tom Yum Goong"), his follow-up to his breakthrough martial arts hit "Ong Bak." Being a huge fan of his work, how could I refuse? Since I had read pretty much every interview he did for "The Protector" when it originally opened in Thailand and neighboring territories last year, I really didn't have much else to ask regarding the film, so we took the opportunity to discuss his potential upcoming projects. Read on for tidbits about "Rush Hour 3," "Indiana Jones 4," and "Ong Bak 2."

Rush Hour 3

Tony Jaa grew up watching Jackie Chan films and named him as one of his major influences. Brett Ratner had mentioned recently in interviews that he would love to have Tony Jaa in "Rush Hour 3." Ratner had actually called and discussed this with Jaa's manager and agent a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, they had to turn it down. Jaa will be extremely busy starring in and directing (his first project as helmer) the sequel to "Ong Bak" around the same time. He said he would love to work with Ratner in future projects, though.

Ong Bak 2

He was not allowed to say too much (especially with his manager there), but he did have a few tidbits to share. It will be a period piece and will showcase Muay Thai unlike anything that's been done before. It will also feature lots of ancient Thai weapons.

Indiana Jones 4

Tony Jaa listed Steven Spielberg as one of his favorite directors, so it wasn't too surprising to learn that the Indiana Jones movies are among his favorites as well. In a spectacular chase sequence from "Ong Bak," there's a message on a wall that reads: "Hi Spielberg, let['s] do it together." A disappointed Jaa revealed that he has yet to hear from Spielberg (who can blame him, the message is a bit ambiguous). Asked if he would be interested in taking a role in the upcoming fourth installment of the Indiana Jones franchise, he enthusiastically answered, "Yes! Yes! Very interested!" before the question was even finished.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He could be the adult Shortround! After Indy left him on his own, he became a treasure hunter himself. He's found the Eye of Anubus and needs Indy's help to get the treasure. The pair take off and during the course of the trip,Indy learns Shortround spent a brief period as a pit fighter...adventure ensues! :eek

Guest limubai2000

Sounds good Linn!!

I think he should have done what he could to be in RH3 like Jet was in LW4. Not to mention it could be a precussor to working with Jackie through an entire film. At least its good to know Ratner actually tried instead of just running his mouth. Say what you will about Jackie in the Rush Hour series but Ratner nails the directing in those and they are good popcorn movies. They definitely brought Jackie more into the mainstream.

Guest Liu chung liang

Jaa RH3? I'm sorry. Jaa with SS for IJ4? well........... i dunno. If they give Jaa the freedom to do what he wants, then maybe it might not be a stinker.

Well, d-uh! Of course he wouldn't mind working with Jackie or Spielberg. He just doesn't have the opportunity.

So, the interview just proved that all the rumors about multiple Jaa's projects are only rumors. No RH3, no IJ4. And we allready knew that OB2 is in the works.

What an informative interview!

Q: Tony, what about RH3?

A: No-go

Q: IJ4?

A: Nope

Q: But you're making OB2, right?

A: Yep

Thank u for your time!

Guest limubai2000

LOL totaly right on the money.

And I don't think Tony would turn down a small cameo role in an Indy film, who would? It's one of those things like Samuel Jackson wanting a walk on role as a Jedi to appease his kids.

OK maybe the RH3 stuff wasn't interesting to most but being an uber film geek I thought it was nice to see that Ratner followed through, the Indy stuff I could have done without as its a pipe dream at best. The OB2 stuff I thought was interesting. I didn't want to edit down the article and draw the fanboys flame wrath.

It will be a period piece and will showcase Muay Thai unlike anything that's been done before. It will also feature lots of ancient Thai weapons.

Sounds sweet, I'd like to see them do it up like the Shaw period pieces, showing Thailands unique culture.

He could be the adult Shortround!

:rollin

I think that kids still an actor, wasn't he the Asian kid in The Goonies? But regardless, I'm digging your storyline!

Guest gau dog
"Hi Spielberg, let['s] do it together." A disappointed Jaa revealed that he has yet to hear from Spielberg (who can blame him, the message is a bit ambiguous).

:rollin

Maybe Spielberg misinturpreted what kind of "do it" Jaa wanted.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I remember seeing Quan in a cheap US made martial arts film called Breathing Fire also starring Jerry Trimble and Bolo Yeung years ago. If that's a current pic of him he sure doesn't seem to age does he?

Archived