On the Line (2021) - Byun Yo Han, Kim Mu Yeol & Kim Hee Won

laagi

Though not sure what to make of the trailer. Especially due to it's shifting of tone. It had me intrigued enough that I'm looking forward to this! I've been craving for some good korean action.

• Like 3

A solid crime drama! With the focus on voice phishing scams, which to be honest I don't think I've seen thus far.

Therefore from the get go I felt engaged and interested. Also the movie moves at a nice pace especially in the beginning. Keeping things simple and straight forward. Byun Yo Han is a very charismatic lead. Coming across as this bad-ass yet still human enough to get a beating.

Taking the role as the main villain Kim Mu Yeol seems to have a blast. At times really going over the top. Most of the supporting characters get a bit sidetracked mainly due to the two leads performances outshining them. They do a good job however to keep everything going.

The story especially once it takes a look behind the curtain is really interesting. Not sure how accurate it is depicted but you gotta hand it to these scammers on how sophisticated they operate. It's also well captured on how scrupulous these people are. Be it from the small fries to the very top. Having no conscience whatsoever on what their scams can lead to as seen in the movie.

Few downsides are that the movie significantly slows down in the middle, it feels a bit too long. Also one female character seems to be there for just comic relief which just feels out of place. Honestly a weird choice in another for the most part serious movie.

While the tease at the end is clearly there for a sequel. It also unwillingly shows how endless the fight against these scammers is, think Hydra. It's endless and must be depressing for law enforcement to say the least. But for every operation brought down at least some justice is brought to the victims.

• Like 3