Fatal Fate (formerly 'Murder') (2022) - Gordon Lam

DiP

A new thriller directed by Soi Cheang, produced by Johnnie To and Yau Nai-hoi (glad these guys are still around), and starring Gordon Lam. Teaser trailer starts at 41:54.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

I've had pretty high expectations for this one. Unfortunately besides some interesting ideas and strong performances by its leads the movie doesn't offer much.

Trying to mix too many genres into a single premise rarely turns out any good. This could also be applied here.

While the central theme is focused on "fortune telling" which I'm still not sure the director tried to mock or actually give a deeper understanding. The movie sways back and forth between story lines trying to find its way.

There's also a dive into mental illness and the effects it can have on ones family. Sometimes even lethal ones. Added into this mix is a serial killer scenario which while towards the end somehow finds its place, for the most part actually feels out of it.

One thing I also want to bring up and I know this probably isn't doing the movie any justice. But what's up with the 90's style CGI effects in these. It immediately takes you out of the action! Why they decided to animate rain, cloudy weather and a black cat! is really beyond me. This could've easily been captured with real settings or animatronic! It's just painful to the eye for what otherwise is an excellently captured film.

Overall this would've been a sore disappointment if it weren't for the strong performances and it's great look (apart from the aforementioned). There's certainly an interesting concept here but unfortunately director Soi Cheang doesn't know what to do with it. It all gets drowned in its own premise.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review. I'm going in with no expectations when I'll get ahold of the HK bluray.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

I've already seen it but I will watch it again when it debuts at my local AMC starting this Friday. I'll try to catch the matinee screening. Yes, that's how much I enjoyed it.

Screenshot_2023-08-07 Mad Fate.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1