TYG question

Guest MacLeod613

Guest MacLeod613

A local comc book store offers Asian movies, including TYG (obvious fansubbed bootlegs.) After what I've heard about the Miramax version, I'll be avoiding that one and going for an Asian version.

What are the odds that the bootleg will be as uncut as I'll be likely to find it? Are there official uncut versions currently available like there are for Ong-Bak?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest limubai2000
fter what I've heard about the Miramax version,

You would mean the Weinstein version and from indications this cut is probably better than the original (see below) and given what treatment we are seeing of SPL on the Weinsteins DVD label I think the TYG DVD released as Protector on DVD will have both cuts. Obviously its too early to tell but I think we safe in assuming that at the moment.

As for the cuts, the US version of Ong Bak was tighter and in some ways better than the original because it dropped some of the un-needed drug story etc. Given the fact that TYG looses it's way in the middle of the film and goes off on this Thai policeman story thing I'm willing to bet this cut, which I will see on the big screen, will be better.

Why did they cut out "Dirty Balls" in the US version of Ong Bak? I laughed my ass off the first time he called him that, then when his girl was mocking him - "buy Dirty Balls", it was weird at the end though when he died, they're crying and screaming Dirty Balls! Dirty Baaaalllllsssss! I didn't know if I should laugh or what:lol

Guest MacLeod613

Didn't the US version of Ong Bak also trim bits and pieces from the fights? That's the main reason I'm wary about "The Protector."

Guest limubai2000

I don't remember any of the fights in Ong Bak being touched and that cut was made by Luc Besson not the Weinsteins.

Guest MacLeod613

Regardless of who made the cuts...

Another problem I had with the American Ong Bak DVD is that there was no English subtitles - they had English close-captioning that also included descriptions of the sound effects - something I found very annoying to watch. It was almost like watching the Adam West Batman series. I'm hoping "Protector" doesn't make that same mistake.

Guest The Running Man
Why did they cut out "Dirty Balls" in the US version of Ong Bak? I laughed my ass off the first time he called him that, then when his girl was mocking him - "buy Dirty Balls", it was weird at the end though when he died, they're crying and screaming Dirty Balls! Dirty Baaaalllllsssss! I didn't know if I should laugh or what

It wasn't "cut out" of the US version. In fact, not one single official English translation of the film has "Dirty Balls" in the world. That was only in the fan subs that came out online.

Guest chen lung
I'm hoping "Protector" doesn't make that same mistake.

As that was the lousy bastards at Fox, it's doubtful DD will do the same;) .

Archived