Gordon/Conan's fight in Tiger on Beat w/ "surprise&quot

Guest W Hong

Guest Beat TG
Does anyone know any other actors or directors in HK Cinema that have been blacklisted?

John Woo was blacklisted by Tsui Hark after their infamous falling out and spread rumors of John Woo being an unreliable filmmaker to work with.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chen lung
Hey, instead of replying with a eye roll smiley, why don't you actually answer my question?

Your question was answered by D1 Ma - "It's not totally made up. Indeed, Bey comments on Conan's demands, trying to sound as polite as he could." and myself - "Believe Bey said it in his commentary for the movie.".

It's just your phrasing that suggests I'm some kind of idiot that posts crap like Ric Meyers: "Is this just some rumor you heard?".

Believe me, I'm not one that'll post stuff that maybe untruthful without a source;) .

Guest Chinatown Kid

I do remember Bey saying on the NITDD commentary that he called Conan up and asked if he would like to take part in the commentary on the HKL's disc. He said Conan was very nice and charming on the phone and made out like he was interested in doing it. But shortly after this Bey said he got a call from Conan's manager who insisted on a list of demands before Conan would do it. I think mainly he was wanting alot of money but Bey did say as Chen Lung stated something about his list of demands was Bey making him a cheese sandwich everyother day for life and Brian White having to clean his apartment every second sunday in the month. I think Bey was just being sarcastic or exaggerating when he said that though but was mainly implying Conan was demanding alot of things but probably alot of money mostly.

Guest The Running Man
Your question was answered by D1 Ma - "It's not totally made up. Indeed, Bey comments on Conan's demands, trying to sound as polite as he could."

No he did not. He wrote that it is "not totally made up". Meaning some of it could be. And what he replied was not specific just mentioned it generally which did not answer my question.

and myself - "Believe Bey said it in his commentary for the movie.".

That doesn't tell me you are a 100% certain now does it?

Now you see why I asked?

It's just your phrasing that suggests I'm some kind of idiot that posts crap like Ric Meyers: "Is this just some rumor you heard?".

If I wanted to, I wouldn't suggest you are an idiot. I'd just call you an idiot. ;)

Guest W Hong

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that while watching Ric Meyers' Hong Kong Movie Extravaganza at a San Diego Comic Con

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the sheer amount of misinformation put out by this is what truly troubles me.

Sorry about that, Linn1, if what I said sounded a little bit confusing. What I was trying to say was I kind of remember that a scene from "Tiger on the Beat" was shown while I was watching Ric Meyers' "Hong Kong Movie Extravaganza" event at a SDCC that I went to. I also was trying to say that maybe I should just go ahead and rent the DVD. That's what I meant in the first paragraph.

I got what you meant. I mean the idea of Ric Meyers having something called Hong Kong Movie Extravaganza at the San Diego Comic Con makes me think about: "the sheer amount of misinformation put out by this." ;)

Joseph_Kuby

Conan's career decisions have certainly made him something of an oddity in Hong Kong cinema.

A sequel to Ninja in the Dragon's Den was rushed into production but Conan left during filming. His was convinced that abandoning the production to pursue a career in American cinema would make for an equally smart business move as when Jackie abandoned the production of Fearless Hyena 2 to work on The Young Master.

Andy Lau's role in God of Gamblers was tailored for Conan because Wong Jing wanted to capitalize on the success of Tiger on the Beat (as well as make a Hong Kong equivalent to Rain Man). Wong thought Conan and Chow have good on-screen camaraderie but didn't realize that the two stars thought ill of each other.

The reason why Conan didn't play the role of Little Knife was because Chow Yun Fat didn't want to make another film with Conan after being subjected to his arrogant attitude during the making of Tiger on the Beat (which also explains why Chow didn't appear in the sequel to Liu Chia Liang's film). Conan honestly thought that he was the star of Tiger on the Beat and that Chow was brought along so that Conan's fame would rub off on Chow (when obviously it was the other way round).

Not wanting to alienate Hong Kong's biggest star, Wong decided to hire Hong Kong's biggest pop star to replace Conan so as to create a new selling point. In doing so, he made a film which (temporarily) became Hong Kong's highest grossing film.

It's a pity that Conan didn't learn his lesson after the first time he became successful in Hong Kong. I think Conan would have brought more of a martial sensibility to the first God of Gamblers movie. Which, in turn, would mean that if he appeared in the second film (where he would have been paired with Chow Sing Chi), the martial arts factor could have been raised somewhat higher since Andy got to do more fighting than in the previous film.

Lee apparently had a fight scene in Lethal Weapon 4 that was removed (despite the fact that Joel Silver liked the Hong Kong films Conan appeared in).

Conan was the fight choreographer for Undercover Brother and he did a rip-off of Rumble in the Bronx called Rumble in L.A. (mainly known as Carjack).

What Bey has to say about the man formerly known as Lloyd Hutchinson:

"I first met Conan in Hong Kong way back in the 80s, and, despite my usually unfailing personal charm, we just did not get along. I find him much changed, and for the better. I wish could we have been friends in the old days, I tell him. Me, too, he says, ruefully. Lee seems to be in good health, and says he is planning a comeback."

Prince of the Sun is one of Bey's favorite guilty pleasures of Hong Kong cinema. I think it's a fairly amusing film and another good example of how Yuen Tak works capably without his usual cohort, Yuen Kwai.

Anyone seen Conan's less famous Hong Kong outings, like King of the Sea or Fury in Red?

Anyway, here's his filmography over at IMDB.

Guest Markgway

I've seen both King of the Sea and Fury in Red.

Fury was trash, but I seem to recall King being alright.

I don't think anyone has sabotaged their own career in HK the way Conan did.

Joseph_Kuby

True. :quiet:

Not even Donnie Yen (there were prevalent rumors that Yen had a cocaine addiction and is usually difficult to work with - even when sober).

Given what's been said so far, I feel tempted to quote what Bey said (about Donnie) a very long time ago:

"I still can't believe the quality product he turned down to star in dreck. He was supposed to play the Ken Lo role in 'Drunken Master II', the Chin Siu-ho role in 'Tai Chi Master', he fell out with Yuen Woo-ping over 'Wing Chun', he gave the deposit money back to Wong Jing rather than make any more films for him...even so, whatever Donnie's shortcomings, he's no Conan Lee!"

Ouch! :P

A similar example of a Conan-type actor (someone whose success falls in between Conan and Donnie) is Billy Chong. Like both actors, Billy could speak fine English and had a cocky attitude.

Coincidentally, Billy and Conan made cameo appearances in Aces Go Places 5: The Terracotta Hit.

Billy suffered a similar fate to what Conan went through with the latter's experience with Philip Ko. When working on the 5th AGP movie, Billy's role got reduced after friction on the set occurred.

In Conan's case, it was tension between him and director Ko (resulting in Conan's character getting killed off) whereas in Billy's case, it was trouble on the set between him and other stuntmen. Things didn't go down too well amongst the extras he was working with either. Eventually, his small role was reduced to that of a cameo.

The difference between Conan and Billy is that Billy was something of a star in his home country (Indonesia) whereas Conan was not.

Billy auditioned for the role of Wong Fei Hung when Once Upon A Time In China 4 was being cast. Apparently he had impressed the producers (and everyone else who attended the audition) to the point of winning the part until he started demanding more money. His battered pride once again did more harm than good.

What's King of the Sea about?

Guest Markgway

Fury in Red was the Philip Ko film you're referring to where Conan was suddenly killed off.

They had a stunt double get into a car and then it blew up. Exit Conan.

Guess it was easier than working with him. lol

LOL I remember that. Conan ended up doing the very bad sci-fi film Eliminators and played one of the contestants in Gymkata, only to get killed off mid-way through the film.

Does anybody know anything about Rumble In LA aka Carjack??

I have tried to find that movie for a long time but it seems like it doesn't exsist...

Chinatown Kid

I always thought Conan vs Jean Claude Van Damme would have been a great matchup fight on film, both being martial artists and both having muscular physiques. That would have definately been a clash of egos for sure though.....

Guest ekisha

Then what's this?

Conan's mother fell gravely ill of a rare disease, and the doctors had given her only a couple of months to live. He was very close to his mother, who had taught him that not only the strength and bravery his father had instilled in him was important, but also kindness and compassion. Out of love, a committed sense of filial piety and gratitude, he made a most crucial decision. He virtually gave up his filming career and dedicated his life to taking care of his mother and finding a treatment that would prolong her life in a dignified way.

Joseph_Kuby

Interesting.

Ng See Yuen said (on the Ninja in the Dragon's Den release by HKL) that Conan wasn't too much of a martial artist prior to working with Kwai.

Archived