Gordon/Conan's fight in Tiger on Beat w/ "surprise&quot

Guest W Hong

Guest W Hong

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

I think that while watching Ric Meyers' Hong Kong Movie Extravaganza at a San Diego Comic Con, a scene from "Tiger on the Beat" was shown. I don't think that I ever saw "TotB" before and after that scene was shown, but maybe I should just rent the DVD. I don't know why that I never rented the Tai Seng VHS or the H.K. imported DVD, but it sounds like a good idea to rent it now because it looks like such a good H.K. movie if it stars Conan Lee, Chow Yun Fat, and Gordon Liu. Do you know if it was directed by Lau Kar Leung?

In that particular scene, it showed Gordon Liu and Conan Lee fighting each other with some "surprise" weapons: chainsaws. That looked like a very dangerous fight scene to do of course, and I don't know how they were actually able to show it.

I don't know if I should talk about what happens after the chainsaw fight because I would probably have to change the message above from saying possible to heavy spoilers. So if any of you are going to reply, you can say if it'd be okay for me to talk about the scenes after the chainsaw fight.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jmungus
Do you know if it was directed by Lau Kar Leung?

yup, directed by LKL.

a good idea to rent it now because it looks like such a good H.K. movie if it stars Conan Lee, Chow Yun Fat, and Gordon Liu

it is in fact a very mediocre movie; way sub par even within the realms of LKL directed pieces (almost "crap" compared to his very best efforts).

rule 426 in the hk movie handbook states: a good cast doesnt necessarily mean its a good movie.

but its a good idea for sure to rent it first before u consider buying. its simply not that good a movie, no way to deny it.

dont get me wrong, its watchable and has a few good moments, but thats about it :(

say if it'd be okay for me to talk about the scenes

hey- youre at a discussion board. take your best shot ;) :\

if u make it clear your post is heavy on the spoilers and give ppl a chance to react to that accordingly.

I think that while watching Ric Meyers' Hong Kong Movie Extravaganza at a San Diego Comic Con

But the sheer amount of misinformation put out by this is what truly troubles me. :b

Guest limubai2000

I thought it was a solid film, not great mind you, but I'm biased as I love CYF. And yes that chainsaw fight was pretty awesome. The 2nd film is near as good as the first, though Conan does an admirable job trying to hold the film up.

If you liked these you might try the Tiger Cage series too.

Guest chen lung

The chainsaws had incense put on them to give the sparks effect. Only scenes that they were not fighting - the chainsaws were on.

Guest sevenhooks

Yeah, not a great film but still kinda fun.

VERY crass which is kinda suprising considering it's a LKL film.

Some of the action is well done if uneven and certainly not up to par with any of Lau's earlier efforts.

My favorite moment has gotta be the scene where Chow Yun Fat pulls out his big ol' "bayonet".

Gotta love his opponent's reaction.

Classic!

EDIT:

If you ever get a chance to check out Tiger On Beat 2, the scene where Conan jumps off the overpass and misses the post and falls dead on his ass is excrutiatingly painful to watch.

Ouch!! :eek

To me that one shot is the epitome of what HK stuntmen and women put up with every day of their lives... all for the sake of celluloid.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I really enjoyed Conan Lee's preformance in both Tiger On Beat films and Ninja in the Dragon's Den. I wish he would have starred in more films but I heard Yuen Woo Ping say in an interview that after Conan got a little bit of success he became arrogant and got the "Big Head". He started demanding extravagent pay and seemed like an ingrate toward Yuen who gave him his big break and worked with him closely on the fight scenes in NITDD. Somehow Lee caused Yuen to be beaten up badly by thugs from another film company who wanted to use Lee in one of their films because Yuen had him under contract and refused to lend him out. Lee was subsequently blacklisted in the HK film industry and nobody would use him after that.

Guest killer meteor

Apparently Conan's provisos for doing an interview (which, unsurprisingly, never came to fruition) for HKL were...undorthodox to say the least!

Guest Chen Zhen
He started demanding extravagent pay and seemed like an ingrate toward Yuen who gave him his big break and worked with him closely on the fight scenes in NITDD.

you mean Yuen Woo Ping or Ng See Yuen? or maybe Corey Yuen?

lol im confused...but i heard Conan got quite an attitude after NitDD.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I'm sorry, it was Ng See Yuen who was the producer of NITDD and Corey Yuen who choreographed the fight scenes and directed it, not Yuen Woo Ping. Thanks for that correction Chen Zhen, I guess I got my Yuens mixed up.:b Anyways, that interview with Ng(he's the one that got beat up) can be found in the extras on the HKL's disc of NITDD.

Guest chen lung

He also demanded so much for commiting to the HKL DVDs (only for 1 or 2 titles from the catologue, was only for 'Ninja' at the time) - demands included have his room cleaned every second Sunday (or something), co-ownership of HKL and obviously cash. He's hardly @#%$ royalty, is he:rolleyes ? HKL were doing the best they could with their limited resources, they didn't need bankrupting by some guy.

Guest Chen Zhen

co-ownership?? hey chen lung...whats the source for that?

Conan Lee makes Donnie Yen look like Wong Fei Hung in comparison.

agreed.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Speaking of Conan, anybody remember his role in the "classic" US movie Gymkata directed by Robert Clouse of ETD fame? I think this movie won an award for worst movie of all time or something.:P Anyways, after he was blacklisted Liu Chia Liang gave him a second chance with the Tiger On Beat film. After he starred in the sequel to that film I think he appeared in a Phillip Ko directed film called Cyprus Tigers and one more Ko directed film after that.. In that second film he got in an arguement with Ko about something. Ko got so pissed he killed off Conan's character in the film and that was that. :lol

Guest Yakuza954

Does anyone know any other actors or directors in HK Cinema that have been blacklisted? I've heard either Sammo or Jackie say its very easy to get backlisted if you don't watch your step.

Guest The Running Man

I heard that Donnie Yen was sometime after Drunken Tai Chi by Sammo and Jackie for supposedly running his mouth which was why he stuck with Yuen Wo Ping all those years.

He also demanded so much for commiting to the HKL DVDs (only for 1 or 2 titles from the catologue, was only for 'Ninja' at the time) - demands included have his room cleaned every second Sunday (or something), co-ownership of HKL and obviously cash. He's hardly @#%$ royalty, is he ? HKL were doing the best they could with their limited resources, they didn't need bankrupting by some guy.

Is this just some rumor you heard? That sounds so over the top.

It's not totally made up. Indeed, Bey comments on Conan's demands, trying to sound as polite as he could. He also gives you an insite on Conan's story after release of NITDD.

According to Bey, some looked at Conan as Jackie's replacement, or at least a competitor . He says that "people in Jackie's camp were REALLY concerned by this threat". (Plus, Conan could speak English, obviously, so his flicks would be easier to bring to the Western audience.)

Guest The Running Man

All I remember Bey saying in his commentary was that he made some requests that could not be fulfilled. I don't remember him saying anything specific.

Guest The Running Man

Hey, instead of replying with a eye roll smiley, why don't you actually answer my question?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember Bey Logan saying anything specific to what "demands" he set so where did you get that info from? Or did I indeed forget and Logan did say all that stuff on his commentary?

Archived