RIP Jimmy Wang Yu

DiP

Iron_Leopard
44 minutes ago, khuu_2000 said:

rest in peace my favorite actor, he was one of the first actors who would make kung fu movies known before Bruce LEE

I saw an article about Bruce Lee saying Wang Yu was the one guy he wanted to surpass cause he was so popular. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

RIP, the first movie I saw was One Armed Boxer from our local video store back in 1998.   Me and my brother got hooked on his movies and started seeking them out such as Chinese Boxer and Master of the Flying Guillotine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Shaolin Patriot

Sorry to hear the news.  Such a versatile actor. Enjoyed following his film career from Shaw Bros. and beyond. RIP Jimmy! 

Tiger Boy.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

danthemandmv

Totally gutted by this terrible news ; when I found out while visiting Tumblr I flashed back to the passings of Panna Rittikrai , Lau Sifu , Jim Kelly & Sonny Chiba . Rest In Peace , Jimmy Wang Yu . A true original influential in so many ways ...

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

One of the greatest and most influential actors ever. Chinese Boxer was an instant favorite for me as were Golden Swallow and One Armed Swordsman. RIP

• Like 6
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Here's the translated message from Jimmy's eldest daughter, Linda Wong of her father's passing courtesy of Frank Djeng.

"It is with profound sadness that I let everyone know, that our beloved father Wang Yu (Note: Wang is his last name), after struggling with the demon that is his illness for the past 6 years, has passed away at Taipei's Jung Hing Hospital on the morning of April 5th (Taiwan time). He was 80 years old. My father was a man of chivalry who values friendship above all. Whether it's on screen or off, his way of life was just like the iron-clad swordsman or warrior he played on screen, and he had a colorful life. Even though we didn't want him to go, we will always remember our father, and we strongly believe that his handsome, charming image of a swordsman, just like the one he played in ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN, will forever remain in history and in the hearts and minds of his many fans." (Message from Jimmy Wang Yu's daughter, Linda ; Translation by Frank Djeng)

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

OpiumKungFuCracker

If someone were to ask me about wanting to get into martial arts films, Jimmy Wang Yu movies is the one I’d recommend. An absolute icon of the genre. RIP 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

45 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

What is the title of the movie in which he fights on a boat ? and the one where he fights in the mud ?

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
31 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

What is the title of the movie in which he fights on a boat ? and the one where he fights in the mud ?

The "mud" one is Magnificent Chivalry.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

The "mud" one is Magnificent Chivalry.

Ah, yes, thank you. I watched it only once, so, I had forgotten this scene !

• Like 1

Killer Meteor
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Boat one is Trail of the Broken Blade

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Boat one is Trail of the Broken Blade

Oh ! Shame on me ! I have this movie at least twice in vcd format and thrice in dvd format, I watched it at least twice, and I'm unable to recognize a scene from it !! I'm really ashamed !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

DragonClaws

R..I.P Jimmy Wang Yu

The first Jimmy Wang Yu movie I watched was Killer Meteors shortly followed by Fantasy Mission Force. Which put me off his movies for some time. Talk about a bad introduction to an actors filmography. Then I later picked up One Armed Boxer on VHS, and I was converted instantly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Killer meteors is a lot of fun though like the vast majority of his films!

I hope a slew of his films get a nice treatment now, I’m tired of watching dubbed washed out looking copies where half the stuff happens either off screen or is obscured by pixels.

Yeah wishful thinking.

Edited by WangYu
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Omni Dragon

I think Zatoichi and the One-Armed Swordsman or The Hero (1971)  (aka Rage of the Masters aka The Destroyer) was the first Jimmy Wang Yu movie I watched.

Also thought I'd mention that One-Armed Swordsman is actually the only Shaw Brothers movie my sister has watch (start to finish).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Killer Meteor
9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

R..I.P Jimmy Wang Yu

The first Jimmy Wang Yu movie I watched was Killer Meteors shortly followed by Fantasy Mission Force. Which put me off his movies for some time. Talk about a bad introduction to an actors filmography. Then I later picked up One Armed Boxer on VHS, and I was converted instantly.

Uncanny, that's the exact same order I was introduced to him by!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1