RIP Jimmy Wang Yu

DiP

I hate to hear of his passing. As a kid, I loved his movies. As an adult, they meant so much more. The Master of the Flying Guillotine is a favorite of a mine and was of a friend that sadly passed some years ago. I still watch it and think fondly of my friend being there and enjoying it as much as I do. His movies will always hold fond memories and bring so much enjoyment for years to come. Rest in Peace.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Very sad news to hear, Rest In Peace jimmy I have great memories of your movies and hopefully now The Master Of The Flying Guillotine gets the upgrade treatment it totally deserves.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 3

He's been in poor health for a while I heard so this had been on the cards. Still, this is very sad news to be waking up to, some of his movies had been very influential to me. RIP

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I just reading these news and I'm absolutely shocked to hear so sad news, though I know that nobody is immortal...

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

An inescapable facet of Hong Kong action cinema; anyone who has gotten into these movies has surely seen at least some of Jimmy's work.  A long life and career that will be outlived by his legacy, to be sure.  Rest in peace.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

1 hour ago, starschwar said:

An inescapable facet of Hong Kong action cinema; anyone who has gotten into these movies has surely seen at least some of Jimmy's work.  A long life and career that will be outlived by his legacy, to be sure.  Rest in peace.

I didn't know it was him until some recent years, but the first time I saw him in a movie, it was on the big screen, in the French language version of Rage of the masters. He was oen of my favorite actors.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

8DiagramAuntieFighter

Me & my brother were just recently going through some of his best films. Left off on Return of the Chinese Boxer, but now I have to make sure to watch it in honor of the first true star in Kung Fu cinema. Safe travels Jimmy. 

8 hours ago, Graysman said:

Very sad news to hear, Rest In Peace jimmy I have great memories of your movies and hopefully now The Master Of The Flying Guillotine gets the upgrade treatment it totally deserves.

I feel the same. Can’t think of another movie that deserves it more.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Probably the biggest big star death in the realm of kung fu since Bruce Lee. He was a great pioneer and an absolute legend. Rest in Peace Jimmy, you will be sorely missed by your legion of fans. :monk_crying:

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

What I posted on Facebook:

Rest in Peace, Jimmy Wang Yu (March 28, 1944 - April 5, 2022)

Jimmy Wang Yu was a champion swimmer who entered the martial arts movie scene in the mid 60s. At a time when powerful swordswomen and effeminate male counterparts defined the genre, Wang Yu became the violent, revenge-driven male hero of the sort that would inspire the sort of character Bruce Lee would play half a decade later. Movies like THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN and the now-lost TIGER BOY set the template for that.

After several years of making wuxia (mo hop - swordplay) films for the illustrious Shaw Brothers studio, Wang Yu innovated once more by making THE CHINESE BOXER (1970), considered by many to be the first modern kung fu (i.e. open-handed fighting) film. While he made a few classics, like THE ONE-ARMED BOXER (1972), he was quickly eclipsed by other actors with actual martial arts backrounds, like Bruce Lee, Ti Lung, Chen Sing, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung, etc. Wang Yu was a brawler and street fighter, but not a formally-trained martial artist.

After leaving the Shaw Brothers in 1970, he jumped back and forth between Golden Harvest studios in Hong Kong and lower-budgeted Taiwanese fare, where it felt that his general philosophy was, "If I can't out-fight them, I'll out-weird them." He made the cult classic MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE and TIGER AND CRANE FISTS, the latter of which was edited into KUNG POW: ENTER THE FIST in 2001.

He eventually made something of a comeback in the 2011 Donnie Yen film WU XIA (released stateside as DRAGON) in a memorable role as the film's main villain.

Wang Yu famously acted as a mediator for Jackie Chan and director Lo Wei when the former broke contract for greener pastures and Lo Wei wanted to sick the Triads on him. This act of kindness resulted in the Chan showing up in films like the bizarre FANTASY MISSION FORCE (1984) and the prison-centered flick ISLAND OF FIRE (1990), released stateside as THE PRISONER.

While his screen-fighting abilities were limited, he is an important figure in the history of the martial arts film and has some important entries in his filmography.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Super Ninja

Just heard the news, filled my heart with sadness. It's like every week we loose someone, but this time it feels even worse. Jimmy was one of the greats, a true legend, a hero. But even heroes have to go. May he rest in peace.   

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

rest in peace my favorite actor, he was one of the first actors who would make kung fu movies known before Bruce LEE

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Very sad news. :sad

I'm lucky enough to have met the man, shook his hand, and spoke with him a bit in 2014. He was charming, funny, sharp, and still had a twinkle of mischief in his eye. I'm honored that I've had the chance to represent some of his films with my artwork and have enjoyed drawing and painting him over the years. I'm sure he'll be a subject I'll be returning to.

Through his films he'll live on for us forever.

Rest in peace, Jimmy.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
  • Buddha Bless You 3

RIP So many Great Movies, and a true Pioneer in the business, the definition of a OG Shaw Bro!!

As KFB said he and so many other will live on forever in our collections!! :crying

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1