Any other good "heroic bloodshed" films out there?

Guest Ministry88

One Armed Boxer

Does anyone know the English title of this movie, and if its available anywhere? It looks nuts....

AWgnvfW_GVY

Cold Bishop

That is its name (Revanchist). And you're right... this is exactly the thing I'm talking about!

EDIT: Found this... http://www.sogoodreviews.com/reviews/revanchist.html. There seems to be a custom DVD flowing around from Laserdisc, along with VCD. There seems to be an official Mainland DVD and I'd kill for someone to throw subs on it and make a new custom.

EDIT II: It seems like the same team (including Alexander Lo Rei as choreographer) also did a movie called 21 Red List/21 Red Treaty/The Great Conspiracy: http://www.sogoodreviews.com/reviews/21redlist.html.

One Armed Boxer
That is its name (Revanchist). And you're right... this is exactly the thing I'm talking about!

EDIT: Found this... http://www.sogoodreviews.com/reviews/revanchist.html. There seems to be a custom DVD flowing around from Laserdisc, along with VCD. There seems to be an official Mainland DVD and I'd kill for someone to throw subs on it and make a new custom.

If you find a place were it's possible to pick up a custom version of the movie, please let me know! I'd love to get my hands on a copy of it.

EDIT II: It seems like the same team (including Alexander Lo Rei as choreographer) also did a movie called 21 Red List/21 Red Treaty/The Great Conspiracy: http://www.sogoodreviews.com/reviews/21redlist.html.

'21 Red List' opens up this very clip! Check it out from the beginning to 1:12. You'll probably also enjoy 'Mirage', which you can see from 8:37 to the end of the clip.

-HojJDA-4Y0

PS A thread was actually made around this clip a few years ago, you can check it here -

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14033

Cold Bishop

7 out of 10 ain't bad!

I actually have a copy of Mirage lying around somewhere thanks to to Yu Rong-Guang connection.

Mainland Kung-Fu really seems to be the uncharted territory, and it'd be nice if, instead of bellyaching about stagnation in the genre, more people explored it. It seems to be the main thing keeping FLK active.

And if I get my hands on the DVD, I'll throw you a line.

The HK VCD of REVANCHIST actually has a tolerable PQ (for the format!) and burnt-in subs that can easily be followed. Gotta say though that I found this Taiwanese production so grotesquely OTT and poorly staged in the action department that I couldn’t even come up with those tired ol’ “its so bad that its good” justifications that one is usually tempted to resort to with films of this ilk. Maybe I would have if the film could pass as a messed-up action comedy, but REVANCHIST is played deadpan straight as a serious and lethal domestic drama. Acting was good in parts, the ever-dependable Wong Hap was great and Zhang Fengyi made a suitably slimy villain. But especially the final mansion showdown ruins everything here, its just batshit insane with the two antagonists (Lau Sek Ming and Zhang Fengyi, none of them with any semblance of talent as screen fighters) careening through the air like toy planes, getting killed and resurrected and killed again... Wire work just looks awkward, none of the elegance and fluidity that you’d expect in a HK feature from the time.

Yep, it might be regarded as a hoot and a minor diversion and I did laugh loudly during the final fight, but a "worthwhile" film to seek out this certainly ain’t!

12 hours ago, wasilewski said:

Over the weekend I re-watched John Wick and it got me thinking and I have to ask - what are your favourite gun-fu films?  

I’m not sure it’s possible to top hard boiled but Tiger cage 1, red wolf, angel terminators, full contact, the mission and iron angel 2 are on my fav list

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

I’m not sure it’s possible to top hard boiled but Tiger cage 1, red wolf, angel terminators, full contact, the mission and iron angel 2 are on my fav list

Thanks for the reply.  It took me a few months to figure out my thread had been merged with this one and I’m glad it did because there are loads of suggestions on here.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wasilewski said:

Over the weekend I re-watched John Wick and it got me thinking and I have to ask - what are your favourite gun-fu films?  

Not an all time classic, but if gung-fu is your thing, Hard Boiled 2 a.k.a The Last Blood(1991), is one I'd recommened.

Caught it on VHS, the old Eastern Heros release, I'm not sure how you would go about getting this on DVD?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Not an all time classic, but if gung-fu is your thing, Hard Boiled 2 a.k.a The Last Blood(1991), is one I'd recommened.

Caught it on VHS, the old Eastern Heros release, I'm not sure how you would go about getting this on DVD?.

Buying one of the five or so different DVD releases would be an option.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 8:33 PM, wasilewski said:

what are your favourite gun-fu films?  

img551.png

• Like 2

Not sure it qualifies but yeah, you have to watch it, Lady Terminator rocks :)

LT1.jpg

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rodolphe Dux said:

Not sure it qualifies but yeah, you have to watch it, Lady Terminator rocks :)

LT1.jpg

Looks good from the trailer.  Classic action film.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wasilewski said:

Looks good from the trailer.  Classic action film.

It is, the action is damn awesome in this one. I was astonished the first time, that movie is crazy. I mean can a demon inside a full leather 90s's model with an m16 can fail? Hell no.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux
  • Like 2

Golden Job actually has a lot of heroic bloodshed style to it. Two old Ti Lung movies, True Colours and A Killer’s Blues, also hit the spot for some heroic bloodshed. Hopefully Project Gutenberg will give us some good old school Chow Yun-Fat greatness in the action sequence/s and maybe Benny Chan will throw a little bit of hb style gunplay into Crossfire since he proved he can do it great with The White Storm. I’m hoping for something like Flash Point on a bigger scale!

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

Going to do customs of the 1080p remasters of City Wars, Peoples Hero and My Heart is The Eternal Rose and add English subs. Prints are great!

• Like 3

I recommend Colour Of The Truth, Breaking News (Johnnie To), City On Fire, A Better Tomorrow 1 and 2, John Woo's The Killer and Hard-Boiled.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:33 PM, wasilewski said:

Hard-Boiled, The Killer, John Wick 1 and 2 and just for the gunfu, Equilibrium.

Edited by gunswordfist
  • Like 3

NoKUNGFUforYU

I have to say City Wars has some good heroic bloodshed at the final 20 minutes. Plus Ti Liung throws in a little street kung fu. If you want mayhem and decent, if a little corny drama, see Tragic Hero. That needs to be remastered. Chow Yung Fat plays a mob boss with a soft heart. Well, soft until you push him too far!

• Like 3

Cognoscente
On 12/18/2007 at 3:25 AM, sammofan said:

I quite liked Purple Storm.

Here are the principal cast members in the November 25 - December 8 1999 issue of City Entertainment.

538.jpg

• Like 3