Any other good "heroic bloodshed" films out there?

Guest Ministry88

The Amazing Psycho Per

I think we can had Johnny To's recent Exiled to the category. I think it's the greatest addition to the genre in years... Really inspired gun fights.

Ringo could never shake Jean claude, but yes his early stuff is equal to Woo. City on fire, full contact. Great stuff.

not all of his later stuff should be this easily dismissed, Victim is good for example

Guest the8thsword

I can think of an upcoming kung fu movie that might fall into the category. the film is called Broken Path starring Johnny Yong Bosch and directed by Koichi Sakamoto.

there's a trailer you might still be able to find over at twitchfilm.com. Better yet, here's a link for the one I posted on youtube not too long ago. Just copy and paste, and enjoy dude!!!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OZyoWJkBE

speaking of Johnnie To and Ringo Lam, their new film Triangle co-directed w/ Tsui Hark is available to pre-order now, the HK dvd is coming out in just 1 more week! though it won't be a heroic bloodshed-type film, from what I've read it sounds like the end which is directed by To will have a lovely shootout, many people have said it's kind of similar in feel/style to the ones in Exiled. also, Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fai's new film Mad Detective opened up last week in theaters, so the dvd will probably be out in January. again, obviously not heroic bloodshed, but it also sounds like it will have a good shootout in the end. like another post indicated, practically all Milkyway crime films, directed by To or not, are pure excellence. I can't wait to see these two! going back to Ringo Lam, the vast majority of his work has also been excellent, however he doesn't really do the heroic bloodshed-style films very often. his On Fire films (City, Prison, School) are all very good, as is Full Contact and Victim. however, if I had to pick a fav. Ringo Lam film, it would be Full Alert which is just excellent in so many aspects. hopefully doing his 3rd of Triangle will get him back in the mood to do some more (Hong Kong) films. finally, two more great crime/action films that I dont think anyone mentioned yet which do have some good shootouts are Beyond Hypothermia and A War Named Desire, which I'm going to go watch both of them again right now!

I heard Triangle is very inconsistant in terms of pacing and flatness but whatever the case is, I'll still look forward to see it. as for Mad Detective, that's a def watch for me.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't think Long Arm of the law III has been mentioned yet. Great fights and great shootouts. Kirk Wong and most of the other actors are really evil in this movie.

As long as the thread's revived, anybody have any real deep cuts to recommend? I've seen or am familiar with a huge swath of the genre, but am looking for any new recommendations.

I would recommend fulltime killer, exiled, the big heat, the last blood (shamelessly marketed as hard boild 2 previously in the uk), naked killer, Killers romance, To be number one, return of god of gamblers, return to a better tomorrow.

But really most of the best gunplay choreography are found in movies that mix gunplay with kick ass martial arts action. For example I was watching the inspector wears skirts 4 the other day (not recommended), despite the movie being mostly crap, the action was great and intense and was equally gunplay and martial arts (Well, no. More martial arts). Tiger on the beat is an obvious example of the mix, Iron angels is a great classic example and many more from the 'battling babes' or 'girls with guns' subgenre. As influential as John Woo was, not many other movies have the style of slow-mo gun-fu that he pioneered (with the help of some great choreographers)

As long as the thread's revived, anybody have any real deep cuts to recommend? I've seen or am familiar with a huge swath of the genre, but am looking for any new recommendations.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "deep cuts" mean?

Musical term. The really good songs you'd only hear if you really dig deep into a certain artist or genre.

Not the cornerstones like The Killer or City on Fire. Not "second-tier" entires, the minor or cult classics, like On the Run or The Big Heat or My Heart Is That Eternal Rose or Gunmen. Maybe not even "third-tier" films (The Last Blood, Iron Angels) although you have to know a person before making that assumption.

I'm talking real deep, the stuff you wouldn't find unless you purposely set out to find out or had it recommended to you. Dreaming the Reality. Asian Connection. The Private Eye Blues. Fatal Termination. And so on...

I'm not particularly hardline on the distinction between "Heroic Gunshed" and the more martial-arts inclined "Neo-Bashers" (my preferred term, because "New Wave Kung Fu" is misleading). There's a lot of fluidity there and, if anything, the more I see the more I think its more uncommon for someone to pull off a film with only shootouts.

• Like 1

Musical term. The really good songs you'd only hear if you really dig deep into a certain artist or genre.

Not the cornerstones like The Killer or City on Fire. Not "second-tier" entires, the minor or cult classics, like On the Run or The Big Heat or My Heart Is That Eternal Rose or Gunmen. Maybe not even "third-tier" films (The Last Blood, Iron Angels) although you have to know a person before making that assumption.

I'm talking real deep, the stuff you wouldn't find unless you purposely set out to find out or had it recommended to you. Dreaming the Reality. Asian Connection. The Private Eye Blues. Fatal Termination. And so on...

I know what you mean. I usually use the term 'obscure' to define those kind of films. Films like future hero. the 1000 years cat, and raging angels.

Some more obscure titles I recommend are Andrew Kam's HEART OF KILLER with Max Mok and Yu Rong Guang, Herman Yau's CITY COP with Michael Chow and Danny Lee, Joe Cheungs TRUE HERO with Simon Yam and Anita Yuen and Clarence Ford's THUNDER COP.

When I think of fuzzy ol’ terms like “heroic bloodshed“ pretty much anything directed by the great, criminally underappreciated Wang Lung Wei springs to mind first. ..

BLOODY BROTHERHOOD

HONG KONG GODFATHER

FURY

ANGRY RANGER

ESCAPE FROM BROTHEL

As well as non-DVD titles like CITY WARRIORS.

To reel titles off of the top of my head that don’t get mentioned as often as they should in these type of debates, there’s THE GODFATHER’S DAUGHTER MAFIA BLUES, BULLET FOR HIRE, POOM POOM & HOT HOT and FATAL VACATION. And for less common, i.e. ‘deeper’, VCD (or LD)-only fare QUEENS HIGH, LOVE, GUNS & GLASS, THE LAST DUEL and THE UNDERGROUND BANKER to name just a few that would qualify in their totally unhinged way as minor gems in my book.

Been fascinated by those type of films for a quarter of a century and still dig out stuff from the late 70’s to the mid 90’s I’ve never come across before. Its a rich genre with deep roots!