Any big actors you feel are shoved in our face that noone actually cares for?

Koravec

I think Bill Skarsgard looks quite cool in the JW4 trailer. I've not seen any of them but are those movies MA films or a mix of bullets and MA?

I more surprised people can stand Keanu Reeves being himself in pretty much everything. Not that I dislike him but as soon as I heard his voice in the JW4 trailer, I just went ugh! He has that weird slow way of talking.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
It's JW4, not 3.
  • Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 2

Brie Larson is the first to come to mind. I don't know how big she is, but they forced her down the throats of MCU fans for a while and she had absolutely no talent at all. But then again, Carol Danvers(Captain Marvel) has no personality and acts like a b*tch all the time, so I guess they found the right person. lol

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Brie Larson is the first to come to mind. I don't know how big she is, but they forced her down the throats of MCU fans for a while and she had absolutely no talent at all. But then again, Carol Danvers(Captain Marvel) has no personality and acts like a b*tch all the time, so I guess they found the right person. lol

08f2f50cdeaf6471de1c3030d12699dd--brie-l

Pretty big I'd say. :tongueout

• Haha 2

GraveOrneryHyrax-max-1mb.gif

I'd add Tom Cruise to the list. I think he was good when he was younger but but these days, I just don't get what is so amazing about him. Seems like he's another actor who for the most part just plays himself in most things. Plus he's a Scientology twat.

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2022 at 8:08 AM, Koravec said:

What about Bill Skarsgard being a big villain in John Wick 3? Thats the kind of scenario I made this thread for. I dont imagine the dude is a martial artist. I dont even dislike him, just seems silly sometimes when trendy actors are shoved in our faces. Do people actually care about this guy? Idk

Bill Skarsgard is on his way to being huge. He obviously blew everyone away as Pennywise and this year, he's appeared in one of the underdog horror hits of the year, Barbarian. Then, on top of that, he'll be the lead in the new reboot of The Crow. Expect to see a lot more of him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Bill Skarsgard is on his way to being huge. He obviously blew everyone away as Pennywise and this year, he's appeared in one of the underdog horror hits of the year, Barbarian. Then, on top of that, he'll be the lead in the new reboot of The Crow. Expect to see a lot more of him.

This is exactly what I have a problem with an actor gets famous for one role then gets put in Everything (even worse when they became famous for something other than acting, ie: modeling like cara delevigne, ruby rose for a minor tv show role or any stranger things actor for that matter, rapping like childish gambino, and yes even wrestling!).

Like oh lets take ‘scary clown guy’ and now give him another clown type character role as the crow! Maybe Im biased being a big fan of character actors, but this doesnt necessarily feel the same. Itd be like if they cast Micheal Keaton as the Joker (instead of batman) all because of his role as beetlejuice. Like oh this is what everyone will want to see.

I guess Im just not sold on the idea. In favor of his appearance I will say he resembles brandon slightly because of those big wide eyes and pretty exaggerated facial features and brandon being asian-american biracial. Anyway Ill have to hop over to the crow thread to see what you all are saying about it, personally dont find necessary rn. It will bring a resurgence to the legend of brandon and even bruce a little though.

• Like 2

Bill Skarsgard was only given the The Crow role after the Jason Momoa’s film fell through and I don’t think they made a “clown” connection when casting him. I think it’s more down to his wiry physique and the fact he looks a certain way. Gaunt and a bit tragic, perhaps.

I’m only saying this because I actually think it’s good casting. He’s obvious got the acting chops and is willing to put the effort in for a more physical role. His embodiment of Pennywise proves that. And his transformation for the upcoming action film, Boy Kills World shows his dedication.

0691F57D-7DBF-4E90-ADAD-C8E2FA32C055.jpeg

• Like 1

@Drunken Monk Wasnt aware of his level of fitness, definitely does look low body fat. But I still disagree with there not being a connection between playing It and now The Crow, there will be a huge market for people to see the crow based off his performance as the It clown to people who would probably have no interest in the movie if it was just say a martial artist actor. Very well may be a great casting choice, too soon for me to have a strong opinion.

• Like 1

There is and there has always been a dissonance between audiences actually liking an actor, and TPTB marketing them as the next best thing. And even when it's the latter, they do not always go away after a while.

I'd say a classic example is Nicole Kidman. Audiences didn't warm up to her for a very long while. She actually seems to have started being more accepted once she became slightly less high profile.

A more recent example may be Ryan Reynolds. He had like what? Four bombs in a row. But someone definitely wanted to make him happen because they kept pushing him until he finally succeeded with Deadpool.

Another example of endless attemps to make someone happen is Taylor Kitsch, but that one never really panned out.

Unfortunately these days many folks out there are sheep and content to be sheep. They'll tell you they like an actor, but when you ask them why, they'll tell you it's because they've got X no. of followers, because 'people' like them, or because they dated Y...

For me, it's the opposite: the more I have someone pushed down my throat the more I'll reject them.

Someone mentioned Jenna Ortega and she's a great example. I've never watched her in anything, no idea if she's a good actress or not. I've got absolutely nothing against her but I'm just not interested in her either. Yet, I'm so bombarded with her all the time that at this point I don't think I'll ever want to watch anything she's in. I've lost track of the number of times I've specifically told Instagram 'Not Interested' in posts with her, but the bs still goes on.

Anna D'Armas I really like, but I'm also starting to feel she's too overexposed right now, which makes me want to see less of her.

In other cases I just seem to be impervious to Hollywood advertising.

I remember Jason Momoa on Baywatch when I was entering my teens, and I actually had a bit of a crush on the other two guys while feeling indifferent towards him. This remains to this day, I just don't see it and I just don't care.

I also recall seeing the aforementioned Ryan Reynolds in a number of TV shows growing up and thinking he was one of the most annoying people on the planet. I still feel that way, and try to avoid his stuff like the plague.

But at least with these, I understand they're just not to my liking but they may be to other people's, which is fine.

A more extreme case is people like Vin Diesel or Channing Tatum, whose stardom will always be beyond my comprehension. Or in the realm of action, Jason Statham, who is not only inferior as a martial artist to any other MA actor out there but also very lacking in every respect.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Agent U said:

A more recent example may be Ryan Reynolds. He had like what? Four bombs in a row. But someone definitely wanted to make him happen because they kept pushing him until he finally succeeded with Deadpool.

Jackie Chan in the seventies was the HK equivalent.

• Like 1

One of my issues these days is the lack of female action heroes, and I mean the ones who don't have to train for a film, but rather be like the old days, have the skill set and acting chops. The closest as of late is clearly Amy Johnston, but then we started getting A-list actresses training just for films and it just gets tiring. Granted, I do like Ana de Armas' performance in No Time to Die and I am curious to see how she will do in John Wick-spinoff Ballerina. But then there's all these other ones...Halle Berry, Jennifer Garner, Sasha Luss (who I never heard of until Anna), and others. But we need more like Johnston and the likes of a new Michelle Yeoh, a new Cynthia Rothrock...there are plenty of talents out there and they should get a shot out there. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

One of my issues these days is the lack of female action heroes, and I mean the ones who don't have to train for a film, but rather be like the old days, have the skill set and acting chops. The closest as of late is clearly Amy Johnston, but then we started getting A-list actresses training just for films and it just gets tiring. Granted, I do like Ana de Armas' performance in No Time to Die and I am curious to see how she will do in John Wick-spinoff Ballerina. But then there's all these other ones...Halle Berry, Jennifer Garner, Sasha Luss (who I never heard of until Anna), and others. But we need more like Johnston and the likes of a new Michelle Yeoh, a new Cynthia Rothrock...there are plenty of talents out there and they should get a shot out there. 

Lauren LaVera, who recently played the lead in Terrifier 2, has 20 years of martial arts behind her and is currently looking for an action role. Hopefully, now that she's being more recognized, she will get to show off her action chops a little more. Don't get me wrong, she hasn't yet proven herself as a top tier actress, but hopefully, given the opportunity, she'll get a chance to shine.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Agent U said:

Someone mentioned Jenna Ortega and she's a great example. I've never watched her in anything, no idea if she's a good actress or not. I've got absolutely nothing against her but I'm just not interested in her either. Yet, I'm so bombarded with her all the time that at this point I don't think I'll ever want to watch anything she's in. I've lost track of the number of times I've specifically told Instagram 'Not Interested' in posts with her, but the bs still goes on.

It's funny. Earlier in this thread I expressed a dislike for seeing Jenna Ortega all over the place. Having since watched a number of her films/tv shows, I've warmed up to her quite a bit. She really is excellent in most things she's in. I might not like seeing her in every movie conversation on social media but I kind of understand why she's brought up.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Lauren LaVera, who recently played the lead in Terrifier 2, has 20 years of martial arts behind her and is currently looking for an action role. Hopefully, now that she's being more recognized, she will get to show off her action chops a little more. Don't get me wrong, she hasn't yet proven herself as a top tier actress, but hopefully, given the opportunity, she'll get a chance to shine.

Yes! I have to agree with that! She gave Art the Clown a run for his money in Terrifier 2. I would love to see her in an action film and also Liesl Ahlers, who had done a few horror films (one as a villain and one as the final girl), but she has trained in Hapkido for a number of years but has yet to find a project to showcase her skills. This would be the perfect time for that project to happen. 

All about celebrity Liesl Ahlers! Birthday: 29 May 1991, Pretoria, Gauteng,  South Africa! Fusion Movies

Another is Danielle C. Ryan who played Thing 1 in Cat in the Hat and trains in martial arts and stunts herself. She had the lead in last year's Double Threat, where she did all of her own stunts. Director Shane Stanley would love to do a sequel with Ryan and Amy Johnston as her sister as Amy is Shane's honorary goddaughter.

Danielle C. Ryan as Margaret on Finding Love in Mountain View

We need more talents like this, actresses who already have a skill set and can act. A new generation of female action heroes. Not just train and be done with it. 

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

Well now that John Wick 4 has been out, Im feeling the need to revisit this topic. I think the franchise deserves to be cinema sinned for their ‘new face’ celebrity worship. Ruby Rose, Halle Berry, Bill Skarsgard, this Shamier Anderson guy that is somehow the best but does very little the entire movie.

@Drunken Monk You convinced me so well the Skarsgard was this trained martial artist. That when I was eagerly anticipated his fight scene the entire movie 

Spoiler

I actually laughed so hard when he got blanked out real quick without a single fight! 

The non fighter celebrity worship in this movie has been bad in the few big instances its done it. Somehow even the actual martial artist representation has been poorly utilized in the case of skarsgard and adkins.  

• Like 1

Darth Kermit

I just want to agree with whoever said Ryan Reynolds is the plague. Most annoying actor I've ever watched. I hate his films. As a person, he might be nice, but I've never liked his comedy. He's the same in every movie.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 3:29 PM, TheMuffinMan656 said:

I just want to agree with whoever said Ryan Reynolds is the plague. Most annoying actor I've ever watched. I hate his films. As a person, he might be nice, but I've never liked his comedy. He's the same in every movie.

That's probably me. I believe I mentioned something like that. And yeah, I don't even doubt he may a nice bloke irl, I don't remember reading anything bad about the guy. But he's just got that 'stupid frat boy for life' vibe that immediately puts me off.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:05 PM, Koravec said:

Well now that John Wick 4 has been out, Im feeling the need to revisit this topic. I think the franchise deserves to be cinema sinned for their ‘new face’ celebrity worship. Ruby Rose, Halle Berry, Bill Skarsgard, this Shamier Anderson guy that is somehow the best but does very little the entire movie.

@Drunken Monk You convinced me so well the Skarsgard was this trained martial artist. That when I was eagerly anticipated his fight scene the entire movie 

Hide contents

I actually laughed so hard when he got blanked out real quick without a single fight! 

The non fighter celebrity worship in this movie has been bad in the few big instances its done it. Somehow even the actual martial artist representation has been poorly utilized in the case of skarsgard and adkins.  

I wouldn't call Halle Berry a 'new face'. The woman literally had an Oscar and a Razzie to her name more than 10 years before she was even cast in JW3. I actually think she did a good job in it

Spoiler

even if her one action scene was too long and repetitive, as so many in this series are

From the trailers and stuff, I could already tell exactly what type of character Bill Skarsgard (whom I had never heard of before) was playing. He was exactly what I expected, no more no less.

I actually had to google Shamier Anderson just now. Is he even a celebrity? My not knowing him prior to his non-entity of a character in JW4 clearly is no indication, but his IG page was one of the top results and his following is definitely tiny for someone in the business.

• Like 2

@Agent U Right ai was referring to Ruby Rose (already irrelevant? unsurprisingly) and skarsgard, the rest just ‘celebrity worship’ of sorts. Shamier is a new face, who was one of the main characters in the movie without doing much to impress.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Shamier Anderson is absolutely superb in this year's Bruiser. It's one of my favourites of 2023 so far. I recommend checking it out. I'm not saying we'll get tired of him any time soon but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing more of him.

• Like 1

Well, I've just seen the latest Indiana Jones, and I'm compelled to ask: is there a reason this Phoebe Waller-Bridge woman is in so many things right now?

She was by far the worst part of an already very mediocre movie.

That segment where she describes herself as resourceful, beautiful, self-sufficient and whatnot almost made my eyes fall off from how hard I rolled them. Clearly 'deluded' is the only adjective she needed...

Anyway, it seems she broke through in a TV series named Fleabag, which I haven't watched, so I cannot judge. And I'm sure there are areas where her comedy, or whatever, may work just fine.

But action movies? I just don't see how. She's clearly no femme fatale, no action star, and not even credible as a likeable or useful sidekick.

And now I hear she's being considered to be the next Lara Croft?! 😱 Give me a break!

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
8 minutes ago, Agent U said:

Well, I've just seen the latest Indiana Jones, and I'm compelled to ask: is there a reason this Phoebe Waller-Bridge woman is in so many things right now?

She was by far the worst part of an already very mediocre movie.

That segment where she describes herself as resourceful, beautiful, self-sufficient and whatnot almost made my eyes fall off from how hard I rolled them. Clearly 'deluded' is the only adjective she needed...

Anyway, it seems she broke through in a TV series named Fleabag, which I haven't watched, so I cannot judge. And I'm sure there are areas where her comedy, or whatever, may work just fine.

But action movies? I just don't see how. She's clearly no femme fatale, no action star, and not even credible as a likeable or useful sidekick.

And now I hear she's being considered to be the next Lara Croft?! 😱 Give me a break!

She was good in Fleabag but she's too over exposed now.

I get the feeling she's better in smaller roles than big ones. She comes across as a bit smug now.

She ain't no Lara Croft! I can't see her doing that type of action nor is she built like Lara.

• Like 1

I've come across this Rachel Zegler debacle, over which I had a good laugh earlier today, and thought of this topic.

The most puzzling to me is why, how and again why a girl that starred in only two movies, both of which very clearly bombed, is now getting lead roles in everything under the sun.

• Like 1