Any big actors you feel are shoved in our face that noone actually cares for?

Koravec

As the title suggests, is there some big actors out there constantly starring in big movies that have constantly been shoved in our faces that way but noone actually cares for?

With this will smith oscar scandal Im seeing so much disdain for him where I previously thought he was a well around liked actor. Now this could be people just wanting a story to latch onto as an excuse to spread their hatred toward somebody (legitimately perhaps as well, thats fair, but not my point here). Or it could be ‘cancel cultures’ behavior of seeking hatred towards once beloved celebrities, ie: ellen or jackie chan being disliked for portraying police officers, etc.

Neither the will smith oscar event or cancel culture are headaches Im trying to conjure here. But I think it raises an interesting question over whether people even care for some of the big named actors out there.

Ill go first and say maybe will smith, nicholas cage, scarlett johnansson, etc. Maybe you can come up with better ones than me

Chances are Im wrong and plenty of people adore all those names. Keep in mind, I live under a rock alongside half of the members on this forum haha. If this is a flopped thread so be it. And I should mention I love work from the 3 names that came to mind, while only actually being a fan of cage. 

I think one of the great examples of actors being shoved in our faces is when they gain some steam for a big picture then start being endlessly cast in almost everything for 2-3 years for example childish gambino.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane

All of them. They can all go fuck themselves. I don't care about anything that has come out of Hollywood in the last 10-15 years and I wish the whole place would just burn to the ground.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

All of them. They can all go fuck themselves. I don't care about anything that has come out of Hollywood in the last 10-15 years and I wish the whole place would just burn to the ground.

Holy shit bud 😧. I mean I kinda feel it, but you dont think there isnt great titles and concepts coming out? By the way isnt that what we do here (well at least thats what the ‘world cinema’ section gets used for) root for new movies coming out? Things were much better in the 80s and 90s?

• Like 2

btw asian/kung-fu actors included if you want, any starring actors. I mean are people in India really fawning over Shah Rukh Khan still? I mean they probably are, I only question it because Im unaware. 

Hate to do this but back to will smith, people actually gave a shit about that father tennis movie he just did? Granted I dont know the real story but it amazes me that people would be voting on that.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
21 minutes ago, Koravec said:

Holy shit bud 😧. I mean I kinda feel it, but you dont think there isnt great titles and concepts coming out? By the way isnt that what we do here (well at least thats what the ‘world cinema’ section gets used for) root for new movies coming out? Things were much better in the 80s and 90s?

No, I don't. Well, maybe for other people, can't speak for them. I have ZERO interest in anything coming out of there. Hollywood is 100% dead to me. The 00's was the last decade where I even mildly cared about anything produced in that void of creativity.

HK cinema is also long gone, and I basically have no interest in current cinema of any kind. But it's cool.... plenty of stuff from the past to still explore. I'll never run out.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

I don’t dislike any actor - even those forced upon the general public - as long as they put out good work. For example, Scarlett Johansson has been in plenty of fantastic productions. Yes, she’s had a looooong time in the limelight but I’m not against it at all. Same for Will Smith, Tom Cruise etc.

The ones that typically irk me is when they take a pop star or model and desperately try to convince us they’re an actor. Some have talent, granted. Others, not so much. There was a good ten year stretch when we were forced to believe that pretty much every rapper alive was an actor. I didn’t care for that despite rap being by genre of choice. 50 Cent didn’t deserve a single acting role.

But Hollywood is Hollywood. They force feed us pretty people and I, for one, accept it with open arms: I’m not bored with Marvel, DC, Mission: Impossible films etc. I still think Hollywood puts out plenty of great stuff and I think their A listers are pretty solid for the most part.

• Like 5

Cognoscente

Ezra Miller is a good candidate, especially given his notorious nature. He should have been cancelled a long time ago. In 2020, there was a video of him attacking a woman...yet he was still allowed to be in the latest Fantastic Beasts movie. Compare that with Johnny Depp who was jettisoned from the franchise.

• Like 3

@Cognoscente Ezra Miller is under fire now too? Making that actor number 2 (at least) in the fantastic beast series? What a disaster, I know zoe kravitz was strongly anti will smith slap too. Once again this isnt a ‘who should we cancel next thread’, I dont subscribe to that notion. I think we should be able to separate the artist from the person (within reason) and not get too involved in their personal lives. Imagine how different classic cinema would be rn if people were arbitrarily getting cancelled left and right. 

I like ezra miller, admittedly less now that Ive heard of his weird threat/assault allegations. I do think hes an actor people do actually like as well. 

• Like 1

I dont think anyones fiening for new work from say matt damon, jesse eisenberg, jared leto or jake gyllenhaal for instance, list goes on and on. But obviously the majority does have a liking for these people deeper down and admire a piece of their filmography at one point.

I think the idea of the ‘actor’ contrary to this thread idea I had is obviously to fill them in a role that makes sense which will in turn make people like them. Goes back to the old saying of ‘people not really knowing what they want’.

At this point in time it may even be more interesting to hear what actors people actually are anticipating new work from as the trends of looking up to or following celebrities is changing.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:22 AM, Cognoscente said:

Shia LaBeouf is a good example of an overexposed actor. Like Jared Leto, he tries too hard.

Yea who actually cares about Shia as an actor outside of his antics and hijinks.

• Like 1

I mean does anyone actually care about nicholas cage enough to warrant this big nic cage parody movie theyre trying to push rn? I geuss the box office will tell. Looks awful even as someone who considers myself a fan in recent years. 

May watch it anyway since I just check out many theater showings.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

It's weird because Nicholas has gone through a similar downward spiral as Bruce Willis.

I wish that Billy Zane had more exposure than Cage. For a guy who looks like Marlon Brando and who appeared in one of the most profitable films of all time, he never really lived up to his potential in terms of both box office appeal and critical acclaim. Billy should have been in the same league as Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I like both Ezra Miller and Shia LaBeouf as actors. Both are incredibly talented and I don't feel like I'm being force fed them. I think we see a lot of them due to their troubles and it seems like that might be because of substance abuse. If they clean up their acts, I'd be happy to see them in more films. Not that I'm justifying abuse. Both have obviously assaulted women and should be judged accordingly.

I'm all for the Nicolas Cage resurgence too.

If you're even somewhat aware of the horror community on Twitter, you're probably fed up with seeing Jenna Ortega. I know I am. She was in The Babysitter: Killer Queen, ScreamStudio 666 and X. People seem a little obsessed with her at the moment. She'll also be Wednesday Addams in the new Wednesday Netflix series.
She's not a terrible actress or anything and she's certainly pleasant to look at but I see her name EVERYWHERE at the moment.

• Like 3

I get kinda tired of seeing three or four female celebrities named "Olivia" constantly on my Yahoo! front page. Moreover, I think we can all agree that Anya Taylor-Joy has great fashion sense. I don't think we need to be reminded of it every day.

• Like 2

Cognoscente

I'm tired of actors named Chris i.e. Pine, Evans, Hemsworth and Pratt.

I'm also tired of seeing Elliot Page constantly on the front page of Movie Chat, especially since it looks like he is more interested in being an activist than a working actor.

• Like 3

Judging by these responses you guys definitely catch my drift 😂, good stuff.

I also like ezra, shia and cage btw. Though havent seen many ezra or shia movies.

• Like 1

I have no general problem with any actor as a matter of fact. I'm more annoyed with lots of them just shoving their products or endorsements into our face. Not to mention their opinion about literally everything generating some kind of buzz around them.

Get off your high horses for f*ck's sake and stay in your lane. You're first and foremost entertainers so stick with it and I'm happy.

• Like 1

Seems the more modern trend leans towards people wanting to hate everything hollywood than appreciate it for its entertainment value, just look at the response to morbius for just one example. I personally think competing medias has a lot to do with that.

Did people really complain about movies before smartphones, furthermore video games? Theres just too many avenues and widespread indoctrination now for people to grow fondness for actors the way I imagine they would have in the past. 

Are actors chosen for their selling point or professional acting ability to meet roles? Think thats where the question lies, a bit of both seems like the obvious answer. But whos really left that people at large would be substantially more likely to see a movie because theyre in it?

• Like 1

I'd never heard of Julia Fox before her brief fling with Kanye West. Now she shows up on Yahoo! once a day on account of her fashion choices.

And then I read this -- https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/julia-fox-thinks-kanye-west-151000663.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall -- and I want to roll my eyes into the Northern Hemisphere. 

• Haha 1

Mike Tyson. OK so he's not a big actor but he is famous and tries to act. This bastard needs to fuck off. How he keeps getting work in movies or TV is mind boggling! He's a convicted rapist yet he's always popping up somewhere.

He's the reason I refuse to watch IP Man 3. He's such a total bellend!

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 4

shukocarl1441996347

There are no GREAT actors anymore...just pretty boy mannequins.

You used to have great actors like Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider, Richard Burton, Robert Shaw, Charles Bronson (action),

Clint Eastwood, Michael Caine etc. They all seemed like REAL tough guys unlike the prissy 'heroes' of today. The one I probably

can't stand the most is Dwayne Johnson. Rock by name and acting style.

• Like 3

When I saw those Black Adam clips/pics, it just looked like Dwayne playing dress up. He looked promising in Be Cool but he just plays the same bloody character in everything! We get it, you've got huge muscles and go roar!

Also his body is way too jacked. He looks ridiculous IMO.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 4

On 11/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, DrNgor said:

I'd never heard of Julia Fox before

She was in uncut gems got internet popularity over an interview turned meme where she pronounced the name of the movie “uncut gems” in an exaggerated valley girl accent. The power of viral memes lol

• Like 1

What about Bill Skarsgard being a big villain in John Wick 3? Thats the kind of scenario I made this thread for. I dont imagine the dude is a martial artist. I dont even dislike him, just seems silly sometimes when trendy actors are shoved in our faces. Do people actually care about this guy? Idk

• Like 2