What's missing from this 2000s list?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

This is everything ive seen from HK/China from the 2000s decade. What's some good martial  arts/action films I need to see that's missing from this list?

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Duel
Shaolin Soccer 
The Legend of Zu
Hero
So Close
Kung Fu Hustle
The White Dragon
Warriors of Heaven and Earth
House of Flying Daggers
New Police Story
SPL
Seven Swords
The Myth
Fearless
Dragon Tiger Gate
Flashpoint
Red Cliff
The Warlords
Painted Skin
Ip Man
Bodyguards and Assassins 

• Like 2

legendarycurry
5 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

This is everything ive seen from HK/China from the 2000s decade. What's some good martial  arts/action films I need to see that's missing from this list?

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Duel
Shaolin Soccer 
The Legend of Zu
Hero
So Close
Kung Fu Hustle
The White Dragon
Warriors of Heaven and Earth
House of Flying Daggers
New Police Story
SPL
Seven Swords
The Myth
Fearless
Dragon Tiger Gate
Flashpoint
Red Cliff
The Warlords
Painted Skin
Ip Man
Bodyguards and Assassins 

Reign of Assassins

SPL 2

The Grandmaster

14 Blades

Kung Fu Jungle

Special ID

These are just off the top of my head. The first Detective Dee was fun too as I recall. Also Three Kingdoms: Ressurection Of The Dragon and Naked Weapon are entertaining.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Reign of Assassins

SPL 2

The Grandmaster

14 Blades

Kung Fu Jungle

Special ID

These are just off the top of my head. The first Detective Dee was fun too as I recall. Also Three Kingdoms: Ressurection Of The Dragon and Naked Weapon are entertaining.

I was looking for 2000 to 2009 though.

• Like 3

legendarycurry
32 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I was looking for 2000 to 2009 though.

Oh sorry, then I guess only Naked Weapon and Three Kingdoms qualify. I would actually throw in Dragon Squad from 2005 too.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer

The main titles that stick out as missing from your list are the ones that featured Wu Jing post his breakout role in 'SPL' in 2005.

Fatal Contact (2006) - Definitely far from top tier (it's a Dennis Law flick after all)), but Wu Jing's immediate follow-up to 'SPL' puts his martial arts skills front and center in a way few other movies have, even if the movie itself is pretty average.

Invisible Target (2007) - Back in villain mode, this time as the head honcho rather than right hand man, he gets to battle against the trio of Nichola Tse, Shawn Yue, and Jaycee Chan in one of my favorite Benny Chan flicks.

Fatal Move (2008) (Released in the US as 'Triad Wars') - Re-teaming with Dennis Law, this was originally going to be a prequel to 'SPL', but was rejigged into its own movie.  This time he goes toe to toe with Sammo Hung. The movie itself is sub-par.

Legendary Assassin (2008) - Wu Jing steps into the directors chair along with frequent choreographer Nicky Li to direct his own starring vehicle as a morally conflicted assassin. Some decent fights, and a completely OTT 1 vs a small army finale in the rain.

Not related to Wu Jing, but anyone who hasn't seen Johnnie To's hommage to Akira Kurosawa via a judo flick starring Louis Koo and Aaron Kwok - aka 2004's 'Throw Down' - should rectify this immediately.

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Some of my faves, though some of these are not for everybody, so proceed with caution.

(Not necessarily MA but all action with physical fights and stunts)

2000 AD 

Skyline Cruisers

Tokyo Raiders

My Schoolmate the Barbarian

Moving Targets

House of Fury

Playboy Cops

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
17 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

The main titles that stick out as missing from your list are the ones that featured Wu Jing post his breakout role in 'SPL' in 2005.

Fatal Contact (2006) - Definitely far from top tier (it's a Dennis Law flick after all)), but Wu Jing's immediate follow-up to 'SPL' puts his martial arts skills front and center in a way few other movies have, even if the movie itself is pretty average.

Invisible Target (2007) - Back in villain mode, this time as the head honcho rather than right hand man, he gets to battle against the trio of Nichola Tse, Shawn Yue, and Jaycee Chan in one of my favorite Benny Chan flicks.

Fatal Move (2008) (Released in the US as 'Triad Wars') - Re-teaming with Dennis Law, this was originally going to be a prequel to 'SPL', but was rejigged into its own movie.  This time he goes toe to toe with Sammo Hung. The movie itself is sub-par.

Legendary Assassin (2008) - Wu Jing steps into the directors chair along with frequent choreographer Nicky Li to direct his own starring vehicle as a morally conflicted assassin. Some decent fights, and a completely OTT 1 vs a small army finale in the rain.

Not related to Wu Jing, but anyone who hasn't seen Johnnie To's hommage to Akira Kurosawa via a judo flick starring Louis Koo and Aaron Kwok - aka 2004's 'Throw Down' - should rectify this immediately.

I definitely need to get familiar with Wu Jing's work.

Also should I stay away from all the "Twins" films from this era?

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer
9 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Also should I stay away from all the "Twins" films from this era?

I debated mentioning 'The Twins Effect', but decided to leave it out. :tongueout It's a lightweight entry into the action genre, worth a watch to see glimpses of the MMA infused choreography style that Donnie Yen would go onto master in 'SPL' 2 years later. Avoid the sequel and 'Twins Mission' at all costs.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
15 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I debated mentioning 'The Twins Effect', but decided to leave it out. :tongueout It's a lightweight entry into the action genre, worth a watch to see glimpses of the MMA infused choreography style that Donnie Yen would go onto master in 'SPL' 2 years later. Avoid the sequel and 'Twins Mission' at all costs.

Wonder why so many big stars agreed to do these movies if they were so bad?

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Wonder why so many big stars agreed to do these movies if they were so bad?

Not really sure who you mean by big stars, there's certainly no Andy Lau's, Chow Yun Fat's, or Tong Leung Ka-Fai's in these flicks.

With that being said, the Twins were hugely popular in HK during the mid-00's (before Edison Chen's laptop came along and ruined everything), so featuring in one of their movies guaranteed exposure.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
59 minutes ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Not really sure who you mean by big stars, there's certainly no Andy Lau's, Chow Yun Fat's, or Tong Leung Ka-Fai's in these flicks.

With that being said, the Twins were hugely popular in HK during the mid-00's (before Edison Chen's laptop came along and ruined everything), so featuring in one of their movies guaranteed exposure.

I guess I keep confusing big stars with who I think is a big star as far as martial arts actors are concerned. Like Sammo Hung and Wu Jing appearing in "Twins Missions". To me those are two big names.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Actually, Tony Leung Ka-Fei was in The Twins Effect 2. He's the one who Donnie Yen makes googly eyes with after taking the love potion/mist/thingie. *shudders*

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
41 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Like Sammo Hung and Wu Jing appearing in "Twins Missions". To me those are two big names.

Yeah, from a local HK cinema perspective, despite the good will they received in 'SPL', at the time 'Twins Mission' was released neither Sammo or Wu Jing were considered a big box office draw.

34 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Actually, Tony Leung Ka-Fei was in The Twins Effect 2. He's the one who Donnie Yen makes googly eyes with after taking the love potion/mist/thingie. *shudders*

School boy error on my part, Little Tony was in my mind, but Big Tony was what I typed!

• Like 3

Super Ninja
On 3/28/2022 at 6:45 AM, One Armed Boxer said:

in one of my favorite Benny Chan flicks.

I thought you prefer City under Siege :tongueout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
14 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

I thought you prefer City under Siege :tongueout

You made me dig out my thoughts on this one from 2011....they haven't changed!

• Like 3

Super Ninja
7 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

You made me dig out my thoughts on this one from 2011....they haven't changed!

At first I thought that was hidden sarcasm, but then I realized I confused Invisible Target with your true fave, Dragon Squad.

I did enjoy City under Siege more than you did, but it's definitely far from Benny's finest.

• Like 2