Kung Fu Cult Master (1993)

Guest punt44

butcher wing

I have 2 versions, the vcr version I have shows an uncle at the beginning with the giant sword fighting, the second shows jet and his family coming to town where they meet the jinx brothers and receives the jinx palm. Both have subtitles that are hard to read because most of of it is white writing on white background. I like this movie good fighting.

sonnychibaidol

I am most interested in finding this particular Jet Li movie on DVD in its original language format with English subtitles if possible. It is to the shame of the now non-existent Hong Kong Legends DVD company, that they did not consider this movie as being an important Jet Li movie worth putting on DVD. Can anyone help me with this factor? Thank you.

ZRPXJhAw21M lol i got Kung Fu Cult Master one for £1 i wouldn't say it's " the Greatest"

Mark Pollard

Theater goers at the time of release didn't think much of KUNG FU CULT MASTER. It flopped and that's why we never got the planned sequel. But then THE BLADE didn't do well in Hong Kong either and I do consider that to be one of the best swordplay films ever made.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I wouldn't call it the greatest kung fu fil ever made by any stretch, but I like my movies set to ludicrous speed:xd:. It's been over a decade since I've last seen it, but from what I recall, it's one of the only time where the use of heavy wires and special palm blast powers have been integrated so well with actual kung fu and ground fighting. Too bad we never saw the sequel.

Even at £ 1 I wouldn't call it the 'Greatest'. Depending on the edition it's definitely a bargain for a really fun movie.

o sorry i ment i wouldn't say it "the Greatest" in fact i forgot were i put the dvd of. this is why i said "What?" thinking how is it?

Wouldn't watch it again if you paid me!

what even millions or billions?

butcher wing

best fight was jet vs. the monk using dragon claws. I have 2 copies of this film and they both have different beginnings. not one of jets best even if sammo is his uncle.

Wouldn't watch it again if you paid me!

bet you would for $100 unless you're paid ridicously high.

for a tax free £100 or even $100 I'd watch Bridget jones Diary

Guest Gaijinder

Wow, everybody thought I was serious o_o

Hey all, I'm the guy who made that vid. Looked through my insight stats on the vid and saw that I was getting a lot of hits from here....so I figured I'd chime in!

The vid in question is to promote an episode of my podcast that had Bey Logan as a guest. The Kung Fu Cult Master footage is in as during the interview, I jokingly asked how is it possible for said film to be the Greatest Martial Arts Movie of All Time. I know it's FAR from the greatest but it's such an over the top movie that I love it all the same. I'm still surprised at the response such a claim recieved!

For the response to this and other interesting questions, check out the interview for yourself. There's even a timestamp list if you want to "cut through the BS". Either way, just wanted to clear that up and invite you guys to check it out! Take care and all that stuff.

kungfusamurai

I enjoyed, and I've watched it a number of times. Greatest of all time? I'm not sure about that. It's one of the best period films of the 90s, just for its over the top action and fairly interesting story line. There isn't any slow or boring parts, that's for sure. If it was the Greatest of the 90s, I'd be willing to accept that. 80s were all about Jackie and Sammo. The 90s were all about Jet Li, so if it wasn't that film, it would have been another Jet Li flick.

KFS

I found this film highly entertaining. Bummed it didn't get a sequel. Sure this film may have been one big mess, but I'd gladly take something like this over Isaac Florentine's 'Ninja' (currently 2 threads up).

It may not be well received, but I love watching Kung Fu Cult Master. I enjoyed the story line and all the characters, and more than enough great kung fu to appease the most hard core action fan. I was sad they did not finish it, I still want to know how it ends. Jet does a super job with his character, and his formwork is outstanding as it is in any of his films. Maybe not the greatest film, but one of my favorites.

If you know the original novel in dept I think it is very entertaining. The source materiel is very rich & filled with characters so if you start out knowing who everyone are, their history, fighting style etc. it is more along the lines of the Classic Shaw novel based movies. ( Maybe with out the" classic look & quality" !). Also you only get 1/3 of the story, totally miss the end fight at Shaolin Temple where the character played by beautiful Gigi Lai ( She becomes the new Emei leader after No Mercy kills herself in shame.) should seriously kick Jet Li 's ass ! I liked the movie more than the TVB series with Tony Leung playing the same character.(Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre ) but I liked both. The TVB version is very popular with women in Asia, so maybe the story is not masculine enough for general audiences ?

Xie-Xie, Athena