Real (2017)

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

Probably the single most divisive Korean movie of the 2010's, I recently got around to watching 'Real', a starring vehicle for Kim Soo-hyun which sees him playing a gangster attempting to kill off the gonzo journalist that makes up part of his split personality. Yes, it's as crazy as it sounds. I gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

https://cityonfire.com/real-2017-review/

MV5BZjkxMTNhOGUtMzFkOC00MDY5LWJkMjItYmNmNWJhNzVjYjRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY5MTUyNjU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.d06de9eff49bb2a35c603c711806c2c8.jpg

• Like 4

Iron_Leopard

I've been meaning to see this since it was released mostly because I am a kpop fan and f(x) is my favorite group so I've known about this movie because of Sulli. 

I actually am "watching" a dvd of this on ebay right now. I may go ahead and pull the trigger and purchase it after reading your review.

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
4 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I actually am "watching" a dvd of this on ebay right now. I may go ahead and pull the trigger and purchase it after reading your review.

Do it! :tongueout If you're not fussed on having the original Korean DVD, both the Hong Kong DVD and Blu-ray release of it are still readily available.

• Like 3

I'm pretty confused after watching this! However I do not remotely share the supposed flak the movie got.

Is it a bit of a mess? Hell yeah. I mean the story if you wanna call it that feels more like a psychedelic trip. They probably took all the liberty they could when it comes to the sheer artistic vision of the movie. Which I'd argue is the strongest factor of the movie.

Also kudos to Kim Soo-Hyun for going the extra mile in his performance. He sure feels like channeling his inner "joker" at times. As mentioned by @One Armed Boxer in his review (something I wasn't aware of) is the untimely passing of K-Pop star Sulli. It makes her performance all the more haunting.

At times Real feels more like an experimental movie with no narrative or motive whatsoever. However it delivers some truly stunning images and some rather unique action sequences. I mean the ending is pure Matrix madness... in a good sense.

I think if you go into this with a fairly open mind it gives you the best chance to enjoy it! Also try to avoid all the negative press as much as possible.

Last but not least I was rather disturbed after visiting Sulli's Instagram profile. Some of the comments on her last posts... I mean WTF!? Truly disgusting and just confirming that the internet is one giant cesspool.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 4

Iron_Leopard
57 minutes ago, laagi said:

I'm pretty confused after watching this! However I do not remotely share the supposed flak the movie got.

Is it a bit of a mess? Hell yeah. I mean the story if you wanna call it that feels more like a psychedelic trip. They probably took all the liberty they could when it comes to the sheer artistic vision of the movie. Which I'd argue is the strongest factor of the movie.

Also kudos to Kim Soo-Hyun for going the extra mile in his performance. He sure feels like channeling his inner "joker" at times. As mentioned by @One Armed Boxer in his review (something I wasn't aware of) is the untimely passing of K-Pop star Sulli. It makes her performance all the more haunting at times.

At times Real feels more like an experimental movie with no narrative or motive whatsoever. However it delivers some truly stunning images and some rather unique action sequences. I mean the ending is pure Matrix madness... in a good sense.

I think if you go into this with a fairly open mind it gives you the best chance to enjoy it! Also try to avoid all the negative press as much as possible.

Last but not least I was rather disturbed after visiting Sulli's Instagram profile. Some of the comments on her last posts... I mean WTF!? Truly disgusting and just confirming that the internet is one giant cesspool.

I've been a huge fan of Sulli kpop group f(x) for years and she got treated horribly for being outspoken on many issues in Korea which is what caused a lot of her unwarranted backlash. 

• Like 3