Shanghai Affairs (1998)

Guest Tosh

I picked this up thinking it was Shanghai Express, but this wasn’t to bad of a movie, I usually like period pieces so I’m catching up on some of the (more)modern time movies. It started losing it towards the end, when they were trying to burn down the shack they were in, forced death scene, topped off with cheesy Canto pop and all, the end fight between Yen and Yu Rong Guang was pretty good, I think it could of lasted longer, and the Ax on a chain was kind of a waste of time as all he did was swing it around. This could of been a really good movie, I wonder if they ran out of budget?

Yu Rong Guang I think is a seriously underrated martial artist, shame he doesn’t get more roles, him and Yen really look good going at it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chen Zhen

i thought this movie was utter crap. mind u, i havent watched it in ages, but i didnt find much redeeming value in it. but i will agree about yu rong guang, that guy never gets the props he deserves. had potential, but fell short. but i really need to watch it again to be able to make a better judgement.

Well, I agree it wasn't that great of a movie, bar the exchanges between Yu Rong Guang and Yen, but I felt it was going somewhere, that's why I wonder if they ran out of budget. Not the best movie by any means, but not a complete waste af time either.

Guest theportlykicker

I've only seen the final fight, but some of it was laughably bad. From what I remember, in one shot you can actually see the leg double with a trouser leg and shoe on his arm!!:o :rollin A few shots were repeated as well.

The opening scene to this movie lead me to believe this was at least going to be better than "Ballistic Kiss". Boy was I wrong. So. freaking. boring. Yu Rong Guang is one of my favorites but even he couldn't save this movie.

The movie is ok but I love most of the fight scenes. Very different and imaginative compared to stuff made at the time. It's isn't always about the rapid exchanges of punches, kicks and blocks that was overdone by the mid 90s. It has a wide selection of everything, done in varying rhythm and techniques, and shot in awkward yet satisfying angles, even if some of the scenes doesn't always come off good as others. Classic HK-style, joint locks, weapons.

This was Yen at his experimental best when he didn't have the big budgets he has now, and when he was really hungry breaking new grounds in action choreography unlike now where he's concentrating equally as much on acting/story as he does new ideas in action.

Archived