Lau Kar-Leung & Yuen Woo-Ping rivalry?

Gaijin84

There's a question that has been bugging me for awhile and I had an opportunity to have answered but blew it. A few years ago I went to a screening at Lincoln Center in NYC for The Miracles Fighters with Yuen Woo-Ping in attendance. There was a Q&A session after his talk and, although it was not related to YWP, I did want to ask if he and LKL had a professional rivalry in the mid-to-late 70s. Their filmographies cross a lot in the 60s and early 70s, mostly with YWP having stunt roles in LKL-choreographed films. They rarely worked together once YWP started doing choreography in earnest. I guess the question is, did they develop a natural rivalry with competing styles (YWP comedy and LKL traditional shapes) and studios? Were they friendly outside of the movie industry? It seems like both were at the top of their games in the same field at the same time, but there is never talk of them acknowledging each other? 

Insight would be greatly appreciated, and I'll go to the grave kicking myself for not asking the question directly, especially when a majority of the people got the mic and begged to be in his next movie. :laluot_32:

• Like 4

If anything, I think the rivalry was a friendly one. I'm sure I remember reading or watching an interview where one was complimentary of the other. Apologies for being so vague, but it was a while ago.

You might also enjoy the photo depicted here. https://easternheroes.com/product/a-tribute-to-the-action-corographer/

I have this book, I'll have to dig it out and see if their respective interviews mention each other. Again, it's been a while since I've read it.

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 2