Theories about Chin Ping leaving Shaw Brothers?

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

Chin Ping is my favorite Shaw Brothers actress. I have loved every single movie she's been in. I know she wasn't one of the biggest actresses at Shaws but she was still popular enough to keep getting starring roles in Martial Arts films. I've known that she left the company around 70 or 71 when she was really still in her prime but never thought much about it until today when I received my issue of Hong Kong Movie News Magazine from Auguest of 69.

There was a four page story about her and the two new Wuxia movies she was filming. One was "The Black Enforcer" which later deleted her scenes and had to be reshot. And then another one with Lo Lieh that I can't even identify. Can someone tell me what this movie is from the pictures below? Did this film maybe get cancelled altogether cause she left the studio?

I read on HKMDB that she left the studio "abruptly". Now I know a lot of actresses during this time period would quit their careers early to focus on family life but Chin Ping was in the middle of shooting two big movies so why the sudden retirement? Of course in the post Weinstein era my mind started to wonder to something bad happening to her from a co star or Director or someone big at the studio. We all know this kind of stuff happened all the time back then and all the way up until now. It also said she stayed out of the public eye ever since. It's also possible nothing bad happened and she just got burnt out on the fast paced never ending schedule that Shaws ran at the time.

I just wanted to know if anybody here knows some stuff about her that might lead to a clue on why she left suddenly. Also those images from Black Enforcer makes me wish so bad that she was in the final product. 

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Cognoscente

She wanted to get married.

The below is from this link: https://www.taiwan-panorama.com/Articles/Details?Guid=9f3bb6f1-aa16-4bb9-b928-1d7b6672390c

On July 15, 1969, Qin Ping suddenly disappeared in Hong Kong without telling anyone. At that time, she was filming Twelve Gold Medallions, and there were two more movies waiting for her. Shaw was quite anxious, and finally found out that she had flown to the United States and secretly dated Shao Dong at the behest of her mother.

Shaw Brothers immediately made a decision to find new place to replace her for the unfilmed films and telegraphed Qin Ping saying that she had not fulfilled the contract, and she would fully responsible for all the losses of 12GM in the future. Later she replied to Shaw Brothers saying that she would return, and asked the company for forgiveness. She returned to HK to make up for 12GM.

Soon after the drama was finished, she announced her retirement from the film industry and went to the US to get married. Unexpectedly, she suddenly returned to HK from the US to settle down and entered the insurance industry to work and learn to live independently.

• Like 5

Iron_Leopard
2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

She wanted to get married.

The below is from this link: https://www.taiwan-panorama.com/Articles/Details?Guid=9f3bb6f1-aa16-4bb9-b928-1d7b6672390c

On July 15, 1969, Qin Ping suddenly disappeared in Hong Kong without telling anyone. At that time, she was filming Twelve Gold Medallions, and there were two more movies waiting for her. Shaw was quite anxious, and finally found out that she had flown to the United States and secretly dated Shao Dong at the behest of her mother.

Shaw Brothers immediately made a decision to find new place to replace her for the unfilmed films and telegraphed Qin Ping saying that she had not fulfilled the contract, and she would fully responsible for all the losses of 12GM in the future. Later she replied to Shaw Brothers saying that she would return, and asked the company for forgiveness. She returned to HK to make up for 12GM.

Soon after the drama was finished, she announced her retirement from the film industry and went to the US to get married. Unexpectedly, she suddenly returned to HK from the US to settle down and entered the insurance industry to work and learn to live independently.

Thank you for that link! This is exactly what I wanted to learn. I assumed the worst and thankfully that wasn't the case. But man I wished she at least finished those two movies. Do you know what the one with Lo Lieh is?

• Like 3

Cognoscente

The Golden Lion. This starred Chao Hsiung and was directed by Ho Meng-Hua. Li Ching is wearing the same coat that Chin Ping did in those bottom photos.

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
On 3/18/2022 at 8:40 PM, Cognoscente said:

The Golden Lion. This starred Chao Hsiung and was directed by Ho Meng-Hua. Li Ching is wearing the same coat that Chin Ping did in those bottom photos.

I just got a new issue of Southern Screen today and it had this picture in it. So Li Ching replaced her in The Golden Lion and Wang Ping replaced her in The Black Enforcer. I want to see both of these movies so bad now.

IMG_0543.JPG

• Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

Never understood why it says in the original trailer for Twelve Gold Medallions that it's her "farewell film" when Price of Love came out later that year.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

Maybe TGM was the last one produced? Or they convinced her to do one more movie?

Claimed the same for Price of Love...

PriceofLovepage.thumb.png.83aa953e5b8a944cc2d32c4e41330100.png

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard
3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Claimed the same for Price of Love...

PriceofLovepage.thumb.png.83aa953e5b8a944cc2d32c4e41330100.png

I can't believe that's my boy from Twin Dragons lol.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 minute ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I can't believe that's my boy from Twin Dragons lol.

Yeah, Teddy Robin's been in the game for a long time.

• Like 3