HK only averaging 30 movies a year since 2016??

Iron_Leopard

Iron_Leopard

I was browsing through each year of Hong Kong movies starting with 2021 and going backwards on Wikipedia and was shocked to see they only averaged 25 to 30 movies a year starting in 2016. This is me assuming that Wikipedia is listing every movie of that year which it looks like it is.

I know HK cinema is not what it use to be but these numbers surprised me. I'm now curious how many China put out a year. Or maybe I'm wrong and 30 a year is more than most other world cinemas. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

25 to 30 sounds about right, even perhaps a little high - that number may be potentially including Mainland co-productions.

China would likely be in the 100's considering the uniqueness of their web-movie market (or as they've now started calling them, straight to streaming, to make them sound a bit more respectable :tongueout).

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard
15 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

25 to 30 sounds about right, even perhaps a little high - that number may be potentially including Mainland co-productions.

China would likely be in the 100's considering the uniqueness of their web-movie market (or as they've now started calling them, straight to streaming, to make them sound a bit more respectable :tongueout).

How many do you think they were averaging per year in the 70s and 80s?

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

I'd dare venture a guess and say that the height would be late 80's and early 90's with an average of 100-150 movies a year.......... 37% of those starring Andy Lau.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Imagine being a HK film critic in the 70s and having to sit through 75 kung fu movies a month!

Stop.  You’re making me drool…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NoKUNGFUforYU

They days of them cranking out a massive amount of flicks is over. The mainland has taken over and decided to repeat the awful nationalistic type of movies that were cranked out by the US in the 1980's. Korea is where it's at for action now. Watch Vagabond on Netflix, it will blow your socks off. This article is harsh, but it's true.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/08/why-is-china-so-uncool-soft-power-beijing-censorship-generation-gap/

• Like 3