Eastern Heroes, Screen Power, Jade Screen online?

Sun Chung

I have one new edition of Eastern Heroes mag, but was wondering is there any old issue from the 80s and 90s that can be downloaded? 

Thanx.

• Like 2

CharlieParker

I scanned/uploaded most of the 90s issues years ago - I'm sure they're somewhere on the net. I could never track down the first issues (1-8, I think) which were more just photocopied sheets rather than complete zines (iirc) I think I scanned a very early article on Chow Yun Fat from issue 7 or 8 as well  - but I never had the complete issue. Does anyone here have scans of the very first issues?

What's the new issue like? I ordered the 1st reboot years ago but Rick clearly never bothered to post it (unless you think a postman who doesn't speak a work of English might have pinched it) - So I've avoided the 2nd more recent reboot. I'm curious to read it but I'm not willing to take the risk again.

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, CharlieParker said:

I scanned/uploaded most of the 90s issues years ago - I'm sure they're somewhere on the net. I could never track down the first issues (1-8, I think) which were more just photocopied sheets rather than complete zines (iirc) I think I scanned a very early article on Chow Yun Fat from issue 7 or 8 as well  - but I never had the complete issue. Does anyone here have scans of the very first issues?

What's the new issue like? I ordered the 1st reboot years ago but Rick clearly never bothered to post it (unless you think a postman who doesn't speak a work of English might have pinched it) - So I've avoided the 2nd more recent reboot. I'm curious to read it but I'm not willing to take the risk again.

I have a double of the recent Number One issue of Eastern Heroes Magazine, if you are interested.

• Like 2

CharlieParker

I appreciate the offer but every issue I have (all except the reboots and and 1-10 or thereabouts) I bought either from Forbidden Planet or the Eastern Heroes shop on Shaftesbury Avenue in London's Chinatown in person. I think I'll keep the memory that way :)

As much as I enjoyed Eastern Heroes - and it really did have its time and place - I'm far more interested in getting copies (scans) of an American zine called 'Hong Kong Film Connection' - it was released at roughly the same time (well, actually a bit later) and it was exceptionally well written. If anyone has scans then please get in contact. I have a couple of issues which I'm sure I scanned along with Eastern Heroes some years ago.

I'll try to rummage through my archives and dig out the scans of EH which I'm sure I still have here somewhere - and maybe we can complete the run of the early issues? I've asked a few times in various places over the years (including Rick directly) but it seems nobody has them anymore - or are willing to scan/share. 

Edited by CharlieParker
  • Like 2