Black Samurai

ShaOW!linDude

ShaOW!linDude

I am a huge fan of Marc Olden's books. He had interesting plots, good characters, and solid action, mostly MA based. But I never could put my hands on any of his "Black Samurai" series. And I've never seen the Jim Kelly movie version of the character. (Not really a Jim Kelly fan anyhow.)

Now it seems Netflix has acquired the rights to Olden's character, and I'm pretty stoked. They've been venturing into action films the last few years, and turned out some really good stuff. This would be an ideal vehicle for Michael Jai White, but whether he plays the role or not, I hope he's involved. It would also prove to be a great opportunity for an up and coming black MA actor, and there is loads of talent out there.

Black Samurai & Netflix

• Like 2

I hope they don’t cast Michael Jai White. For too long he’s been the go to black martial artist. He’s 54 years old for Christ’s sake. Time to let some young blood come through.

Now that Gui Dasilva got a little shine with The Paper Tigers, it would be cool to see him in more roles.

As for the black samurai thing, I’m all for it. Seems like Netflix are doubling down as they already have an animated shows about a black samurai.

• Like 2

Fan of Kelly's movie, it'll be hard to beat. 

I wouldn't mind seeing White in the role, especially if the result is in the same vein as Black Dynamite and as far away from Undercover Brother 2 as it can be.

If the books are anything like the original movie, this might turn out good, but it needs a good cast and a director who knows what he's doing. Somebody should tell Roel Reine to stay away from the project. 

• Like 3

Those rights have been volleyed around for the last 20 years.  The Olden novels are superior to the Kelly film and could inspire an interesting show or movie.  Let's wait and see.

• Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 2/22/2022 at 12:14 PM, ShaOW!linDude said:

I am a huge fan of Marc Olden's books. He had interesting plots, good characters, and solid action, mostly MA based. But I never could put my hands on any of his "Black Samurai" series. And I've never seen the Jim Kelly movie version of the character. (Not really a Jim Kelly fan anyhow.)

Now it seems Netflix has acquired the rights to Olden's character, and I'm pretty stoked. They've been venturing into action films the last few years, and turned out some really good stuff. This would be an ideal vehicle for Michael Jai White, but whether he plays the role or not, I hope he's involved. It would also prove to be a great opportunity for an up and coming black MA actor, and there is loads of talent out there.

Black Samurai & Netflix

Looks cool 👍

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude
On 2/22/2022 at 8:04 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I hope they don’t cast Michael Jai White. For too long he’s been the go to black martial artist. He’s 54 years old for Christ’s sake. Time to let some young blood come through.

Agreed. Shoot, 15 - 20 years ago this would have been ideal for him. They could probably tweak the character to reflect his age, but I'm like you, let's get some young blood in there.

• Like 4