Out Of Control (2017) - DE/CN co-production starring T.O.P

laagi

Probably not even worth mentioning but this being T.O.P's first leading role and to be fair with a pretty decent trailer that promises some good handmade action. What happened to this movie? First shown during the Cologne Film Festival in 2017 and apparently put on a shelf eversince. It can't be that bad, right :laugh

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer

I remember seeing this trailer back in the day and thinking it didn't look bad, plus Cecilia Cheung! I have a feeling it likely got shelved after T.O.P.'s drug scandal came out during the same year while completing his military service, which led to him being given a 10 month prison sentence. Since then of course China has long since fallen out of love with K-culture, so the chances of a movie with a once-popular K-pop star who's now considered to have fallen from grace ever being released are pretty slim.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:13 AM, laagi said:

Probably not even worth mentioning but this being T.O.P's first leading role

His starring roles in 2013's 'Commitment' and 2014's 'Tazza: The Hidden Card' both predate this one.

• Like 2

@One Armed Boxer Thanks for the insight. Damn! I didn't know about that. Too bad his dad isn't Jackie Chan I guess ;)

Yes, I do remember Commitment and if memory serves right I've rather enjoyed it.

Not that I have any knowledge of the inner workings of releasing a movie. But since this was made by a German production company what's holding them back releasing it. I mean f*ck what China thinks, right? It's not like they're gonna lose even more money with or without it hitting the market.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 3

One Armed Boxer
11 hours ago, laagi said:

Not that I have any knowledge of the inner workings of releasing a movie. But since this was made by a German production company what's holding them back releasing it. I mean f*ck what China thinks, right? It's not like they're gonna lose even more money with or without it hitting the market.

True, I guess they'd have the same problem though around how to market it. This was clearly a flick aimed at the Chinese market that rode the coat tails of Big Bang's popularity at the time, similar to Lee Min-ho's appearance in 2016's shockingly bad 'Bounty Hunters'. While the trailer looked impressive, I have a feeling the final product is likely much more localized in its appeal. Still, if it became available I'd definitely check it out.

• Like 3