Fireflies in the Sun aka Sheep Without a Shepherd II (2021/CN) - Xiao Yang, Simon Yam

laagi

I was kind of looking forward to this as I've really enjoyed the first part which like its successor is a remake. However not related to one another. This time using John Q as basis, starring none other than Denzel Washington. Truth be told I never watched the original so I went into this fairly open minded.

Taking the lead once more is Xiao Yang. Which all things considered did a good job. Nothing more, nothing less. My biggest problem with the movie is that it runs from one revelation and twist to the other. And as if that wouldn't be already hard enough to follow at times, everything needs to be emphasized in the most dramatic way possible. Also with all the side stories some just end up being swept under the floor with no resolution whatsoever. It's too much to fill in a two hour movie! And one has to really question director Dai Mo why try to squeeze out so much of such a very simplistic story. I mean this could've been a more or less straightforward Thriller. But with all its constant distractions it not only lost my interest but also ended up being quite a mess. This is further underlined with an incredibly cheesy ending.

Noteworthy are also some bad casting choices. I recently said I'd love to see Arif Lee in more roles... Well sure as hell not dramatic ones! Simon Yam besides our lead does bring a certain grace to the story and muddled script as a worn out and washed up detective. He was probably the most interesting character. Overall I'm rather disappointed. Just curious if John Q is actually worth checking out!?

• Like 2