The Chin Ping/Yueh Hua Trilogy

Iron_Leopard

Killer Darts (1968)

Vengeance is A Golden Blade (1969)

Twelve Gold Medallions (1970)

I'm about to watch all three of these Chin Ping/Yueh Hua (my favorite duo) films today. I've seen and love the first two but the last one will be a first time viewing. 

Which is your favorite of three? I slightly prefer Killer Darts over Golden Blade.  I'm curious to see how Medallions stacks up against them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Medallions is my fave.

Nice. I'm really looking forward to watching this later. It's been my most sought after Shaws movie for a while. 

I highly doubt I'll be let down.

• Like 2

Maybe because it's one of the two Shaws I first saw on the big screen at 14, I think that 12 gold medallions is my favourite of these three, even if I love the two others.

• Like 3

Twelve Gold Medallions was amazing! Yueh Hua is the main star this time while Chin Ping is the co star. It was the other way around with the other two movies. Both are in top form. Although I got a bit tired of Chin Pings character being mad at Yueh Hua for most of the movie. I was relieved when she FINALLY got over it. What a great final Martial Arts movie for her to end her career with. I know she filmed scenes for "The Black Enforcer" in 69 that were later deleted upon its release in 72. Probably cause by then she had already left the studio.

Again I have to mention how captivating these late 60s/early 70s wuxia films are. What they lack in choreography compared to what came later they more than make up for with superior acting, cinematography, music, sets (exception of Chor Yuen) and atmosphere.

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Again I have to mention how captivating these late 60s/early 70s wuxia films are. What they lack in choreography compared to what came later they more than make up for with superior acting, cinematography, music, sets 

Yes, they have a very special feel, and almost otherworldly quality to them. Also, the sets never looked better than in that period. They either put more mony or more time... or both, into the production design back then, as opposed to the mid 70's and onwards. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Twelve Gold Medallions was amazing! Yueh Hua is the main star this time while Chin Ping is the co star. It was the other way around with the other two movies. Both are in top form. Although I got a bit tired of Chin Pings character being mad at Yueh Hua for most of the movie. I was relieved when she FINALLY got over it. What a great final Martial Arts movie for her to end her career with. I know she filmed scenes for "The Black Enforcer" in 69 that were later deleted upon its release in 72. Probably cause by then she had already left the studio.

Again I have to mention how captivating these late 60s/early 70s wuxia films are. What they lack in choreography compared to what came later they more than make up for with superior acting, cinematography, music, sets (exception of Chor Yuen) and atmosphere.

2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Yes, they have a very special feel, and almost otherworldly quality to them. Also, the sets never looked better than in that period. They either put more mony or more time... or both, into the production design back then, as opposed to the mid 70's and onwards. 

Hence my love for the wuxia movies...😀

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I've said this in another thread before but I remember the first time I watched "Have Sword Will Travel" and during the scene when David Chiang meets with Ti Lung and Li Ching and their master at their main base I was stunned at how good that place looked. It looked so cinematic and more expensive than anything I'd seen in late 70s Shaws (which is all I had seen at the time).

It's hard to describe but there was a big difference. 

• Like 4