Battle of the Giants - Lee Tso Nam VS Joseph Kuo

Django

Battle of the Giants - Lee Tso Nam VS Joseph Kuo  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the number one?

• Lee Tso Nam
    • Joseph Kuo

Who do you consider to be the godfather of independent kung fu films out of these two? Take everything into consideration - Fights, choreography, directing skills, actors etc. I think it's fair to say that it is s close call and comes down to personal preference but I find this poll to be interesting still. Both directors had their own crew and made consistently good stuff through the hey day of the genre. 

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

Even though my number one favorite kung fu indie is Seven Grandmasters and I love quite a few of Kuo's films, I gotta give it to Lee Tso Nam. I find the majority of his films more interesting and unique than Kuo's. But it's very close... almost neck to neck.

• Like 6

Yes it really is. I think Lee Tso Nam had slightly better actors and maybe better looking films, visually. I agree about 7 Grandmasters, it's his Magnum opus. Maybe slightly better than Lee Tso Nam's masterpiece The Hot, The Cool and the Vicious...

But if I had to chose between Shaolin vs Lama and Mystery of Chessboxing, it would definitely be Shaolin vs Lama... And then Eagles Claw or Fatal Needles against Born Invincible or 18 Bronzemen... Tough call!

• Like 5

TibetanWhiteCrane

If we're ONLY talking the action, I might give the edge to Kuo. Well, not him personally, but the action directors he employed, primarily Chan Siu Pang, The Yuens, Max Lee and a few others up against Nam's usual guys like Tommy Lee, Blacky Ko and Peng Kang. But again, it's a real close race.

Overall I think I'm just more entertained by Nam's films when all components are counted.

• Like 6