Can you guess my all time favorite Hollywood action movie?

Iron_Leopard

Let's see who will be the first to get it.

You can ask a couple of questions and I'll only give a yes or no answer. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Weekend at Bernie's 2?

No lol.

21 minutes ago, starschwar said:

Is it part of a series?

Yes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omni Dragon said:

First Blood (1982), or another one of the Rambo movies...

First Blood? No.

Another one of the Rambo series? Yes. Well damn this was over quickly. Damnit lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

First Blood? No.

Another one of the Rambo series? Yes. Well damn this was over quickly. Damnit lol.

I remembered your post from the 'What big film franchises have you not seen?' thread (https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/topic/26822-what-big-film-franchises-have-you-not-seen/?do=findComment&comment=334860&_rid=5639) where you put:

But everyone who said they haven't seen any Rambo movie is CANCELED. Best action franchise ever. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Omni Dragon said:

I remembered your post from the 'What big film franchises have you not seen?' thread (https://www.36styles.com/kungfufandom/topic/26822-what-big-film-franchises-have-you-not-seen/?do=findComment&comment=334860&_rid=5639) where you put:

Aww damn. You did some research. That's cheating lol.

But Rambo III is my favorite action movie ever. I know most people don't like it but it's so epic it just does it for me.

• Like 1

Nicely done.  I was going to narrow it down with "was the star in any of the Expendables movies" and so on. 

Interesting choice.  It's a movie that's awkward in historical hindsight, but that exact same issue doesn't stop a lot of James Bond fans from loving The Living Daylights.  I think Part 2 is a better action movie - probably the iconic interpretation of the character - while the original First Blood is the best all around film in the series.  But III has, if nothing else, one of the definitive Rambo moments.   Offered 'fair treatment' for surrendering - he cocks his AK and proclaims, "**** 'em!"   And some solid helicopter-related stuff, too.  That battle in the caves.  It's solid.

The fourth movie isn't as memorable.  It had a bit more dramatic meat to it than 2 and 3, but isn't a film that has a lot of staying power in my brain.  The turret sequence is ridiculous, but entertaining.  I do fault it for being partially responsible for a lot of bad sequel titling over the last 10+ years.  Just "Rambo"?  Not a remake or reboot, just part 4, yet they call it just "Rambo". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, starschwar said:

Nicely done.  I was going to narrow it down with "was the star in any of the Expendables movies" and so on. 

Interesting choice.  It's a movie that's awkward in historical hindsight, but that exact same issue doesn't stop a lot of James Bond fans from loving The Living Daylights.  I think Part 2 is a better action movie - probably the iconic interpretation of the character - while the original First Blood is the best all around film in the series.  But III has, if nothing else, one of the definitive Rambo moments.   Offered 'fair treatment' for surrendering - he cocks his AK and proclaims, "**** 'em!"   And some solid helicopter-related stuff, too.  That battle in the caves.  It's solid.

The fourth movie isn't as memorable.  It had a bit more dramatic meat to it than 2 and 3, but isn't a film that has a lot of staying power in my brain.  The turret sequence is ridiculous, but entertaining.  I do fault it for being partially responsible for a lot of bad sequel titling over the last 10+ years.  Just "Rambo"?  Not a remake or reboot, just part 4, yet they call it just "Rambo". 

I like 4 but I don't love it like most people do. With III being the most expensive movie ever made at the time you can really see it on screen. The whole movie just has this sweeping epic feel to it. The cinematography is the best I've ever seen in an action movie. Goldsmith score with added middle eastern sounds is grand. Stallone is at his peak bad assness. My favorite scene is the night assault on the Russian fortress and the following escape in the sewers. I'm actually really fascinated with this movie and its place in film history. 

I even recently uploaded the deleted scene of Rambo Forging his knife for the rescue mission but I added some unused music from the soundtrack on top of it. I really wish this scene was in the movie.

• Like 1

I had no idea about the budget milestone!  I vaguely recall reading they had to relocate filming halfway across the world at one point, which I imagine was a big part of that.  The knife forging - there's a scene in 4 that calls back to that!  That's cool.  I do have a soft spot for canonizing excised material for some reason.

I had already forgotten about Last Blood when I wrote my previous post!  A very empty experience.  For such a short one, the first two thirds dragged on so very long.  Watching Rambo investigating things the audience had previously been shown - frustrating. The action finale at the end was decent, though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, starschwar said:

I had no idea about the budget milestone!  I vaguely recall reading they had to relocate filming halfway across the world at one point, which I imagine was a big part of that.  The knife forging - there's a scene in 4 that calls back to that!  That's cool.  I do have a soft spot for canonizing excised material for some reason.

I had already forgotten about Last Blood when I wrote my previous post!  A very empty experience.  For such a short one, the first two thirds dragged on so very long.  Watching Rambo investigating things the audience had previously been shown - frustrating. The action finale at the end was decent, though.

Yeah they had problems filming in Isreal and moved production to Arizona I believe it was. I too forget about Last Blood. To me it's one of the most unnecessary sequels ever. Gunniss had Rambo III as the most expensive movie ever made and also the most violent movie ever made. Can't remember the number but they had an actual count of the total acts of violence in the film. Did you know theres also an alternate scene where Rambo actually decides to stay and he rides off with the Mujahideen? This movie is already notorious. Can you imagine if they went with this ending? People would be saying Rambo helped train the Taliban and helped plan 9/11.

• Like 1