POLL - Best Fight - THE NIGHT COMES FOR US (2018)

DrNgor

What is the Best Fight?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best Fight of THE NIGHT COMES FOR US (2018)?

• The Meat Locker Fight
    • Joe Taslim fights goons at the old hideout
    • Julie Estelle vs. Lesbian Assassins
    • Joe Taslim vs. Iko Uwais

And the results for Tiger Cage 2 are:

1. Donnie Yen vs. Michael Woods - 45.45%
2. Donnie Yen vs. John Salvitti - 36.36%
3. David Wu vs. Robin Shou - 18.18%

• Like 1

J.J. Hayden

One of my fav old school's, not watched in years though. All the fights are great but my vote goes to Leung Kar-yan vs Chang Yi, or should that be Leung Kar-yan vs Yuen Biao, or Yuen Biao vs Yuen Biao, lol.

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Kar Yan vs Wilson Tong for me.

How did none of Sammo's fights make the poll? I mean, come on! Butt-naked Sammo in the bathhouse brawl? Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

I love Leung Kar Yan going up against the goons. I think it's one of he best straight beatdowns in kung fu cinema history. However, Beardy going up up against Wilson Tong is a top ten fight scenes for me. The fight with Chang Yi is good but it doesn't have the same amount of character as the Wilson Tong fight. The leg work in that one is reason enough to love it.

Wilson Tong/Beardy gets my vote.

• Like 2

RebelIntruder

Beardy vs Chang Yi.

Not that it wasn't a good fight, but the Beardy vs Tong fight felt thrown in without good reason plot wise.  He shows up near the end of the movie then gets jobbed out as a stepping stone to the final fight.   The kill shot is great though.

• Like 2

The Wilson Tong one for me,I thought it was a great scene.But there are quite a few great fight scenes in this.It’s just a pity Tong doesn’t get introduced earlier in the movie to show off his skills before the Beardy throw down

• Like 2

RebelIntruder
10 hours ago, sym8 said:

The Wilson Tong one for me,I thought it was a great scene.But there are quite a few great fight scenes in this.It’s just a pity Tong doesn’t get introduced earlier in the movie to show off his skills before the Beardy throw down

Proper way to do it, IMO, was for Tong to show up before the trap when the father dies and not after.  Have him fight Sammo and Beardy as a prelude to the final act.

• Like 3

Cognoscente

It's a tough call but I chose the Tong one because there is something weirdly timely about how a red artefact on the print moves in the same direction as his left foot at the end of his introductory movements. It literally sets the tone for a sweeping encounter.

He should have been pushed as a star during his heyday.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 2

Omni Dragon

@DrNgor

Just to clarify, the 'Leung Kar-Yan vs. Chang Yi's goons' is the 2nd fight against the 'goons'? The one where they use axes and it's set in the daytime?

vlcsnap-2022-05-19-20h22m39s063.png.105ec7305efd3adc65d1f847b19f8dae.png

Rather than the 1st one, set at nighttime, and the 'goons' use poles and swords?

vlcsnap-2022-05-19-20h19m16s003.png.ff56a46597b00c6beefaa294d6da4d27.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Omni Dragon said:

ust to clarify, the 'Leung Kar-Yan vs. Chang Yi's goons' is the 2nd fight against the 'goons'? The one where they use axes and it's set in the daytime?

Indeed. It would be the second one.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

I think I might actually prefer the 1st one. I guess I'll vote for 'Leung Kar-Yan vs. Chang Yi' then.

• Like 1

KenHashibe
On 5/19/2022 at 1:43 PM, Omni Dragon said:

@DrNgor

Just to clarify, the 'Leung Kar-Yan vs. Chang Yi's goons' is the 2nd fight against the 'goons'? The one where they use axes and it's set in the daytime?

vlcsnap-2022-05-19-20h22m39s063.png.105ec7305efd3adc65d1f847b19f8dae.png

Rather than the 1st one, set at nighttime, and the 'goons' use poles and swords?

vlcsnap-2022-05-19-20h19m16s003.png.ff56a46597b00c6beefaa294d6da4d27.png

I voted for the "goons" fight assuming it was the first one. That's my bad, since @DrNgor did post that all three fights were in the end fight clip.

Anyway, my favorite of the three would have to be the Wilson Tong section.

• Like 2

And the results for The Victim are:

1. Leung Kar-Yan vs. Chang Yi - 53.33%
2. Leung Kar-Yan vs. Wilson Tong - 40%
3. Leung Kar-Yan vs. Chang Yi's goons - 6.67%

• Like 1

This week: Drunken Master 2 (1994).

Jackie Chan vs. Lau Kar-Leung

Teahouse fight

Climax

• Like 1

J.J. Hayden

Easy one for me, but also a bit unfair as the "climax" vid has several fights, lol. But even if I just go by the JC vs Ken Lo section it a decisive victory. I'm a sucker for great displays of leg techniques and Ken is one of, if not the top kicker based in HK and this is probably his finest moment. Although there is a bit of wirework, which I don't feel they needed, it's an excellent display by both fighters. The other options are good but I think they pale in comparison.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

While I'm glad we got to see a fight between Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest legends in the form of 'Jackie Chan vs. Lau Kar-Leung'.

I just couldn't vote for anything other than 'The climax at the foundry'. Dare I say, I'll be very surprised if that doesn't get the most votes...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

Easy one for me, but also a bit unfair as the "climax" vid has several fights, lol. But even if I just go by the JC vs Ken Lo section it a decisive victory.

Yeah, I thought about that. You can break it up into 2 - 3 individual fights: Jackie Chan vs. Vincent Tuctan; Jackie Chan vs. Ken Low's men; and Jackie Chan vs. Ken Low and Ho Sung-Pak. And that first one is short enough you could join it with the second one. In this case, since nobody asked me to separate the end fights in the other thread, I just went with it.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

An easy one for me, also. I think the teahouse fight is actually the weakest of the entire film and wish another fight were included instead. The "purse snatching" fight is closer to being my favorite than the teahouse fight.

I, of course, voted for the finale. But the sequence between Jackie and Pops that's under the train is one I'm very, VERY fond of. The finale is just too good. Too many highlights, too many components, too much classic choreography. There's a reason it's considered possibly the greatest fight sequence of all time.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The "purse snatching" fight is closer to being my favorite than the teahouse fight.

I knew a kid who liked the purse snatching fight more than the finale.

8 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

I think the teahouse fight is actually the weakest of the entire film and wish another fight were included instead.

Interesting. I think a lot of people like it on the basis of scale, the sort of 1-vs-100 fight that Hollywood could never pull off.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, DrNgor said:

I knew a kid who liked the purse snatching fight more than the finale.

I was that kid at one point.

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

Voted for the finale. Honestly, I'm not as big a fan of DM 2 as most people. The stunt work is stellar, but the wire-enhanced choreography takes me out of the action.

• Like 2

Omni Dragon

This poll for Drunken Master II, is looking like it might go the way of the Police Story Part II poll, with one option getting 100% of the votes.

• Like 1