POLL - Best Fight - THE NIGHT COMES FOR US (2018)

DrNgor

What is the Best Fight?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best Fight of THE NIGHT COMES FOR US (2018)?

• The Meat Locker Fight
    • Joe Taslim fights goons at the old hideout
    • Julie Estelle vs. Lesbian Assassins
    • Joe Taslim vs. Iko Uwais

One Armed Boxer

Has to be the alley way fight, it's a modern classic of HK cinema, arguably one of if not the last. It may have been 'Wolf Warrior' that gave Wu Jing Mainland-superstar status, but for the rest of us it was likely this scene that really marked his arrival in terms of delivering the goods - choreography, screen presence, and context - it was all there.

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Has to be the alley way fight, it's a modern classic of HK cinema, arguably one of if not the last.

I think the Don/Collin fight in Flashpoint or perhaps the Don on 10 Karatekas fight in Ip Man can be said to be the last true CLASSIC HK FILM FIGHT. Can't really think of anything after that, deserving of that moniker.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

While the Donnie/Wu Jing fight is great, it does lack a certain something. At times it feels like a bunch of flailing limbs. The Donnie/Sammo fight is more stylized and definitely my favorite of the two.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, while Yen vs Wu Jing is a great mix up, the Sammo vs Yen is a clash of MA genre titans that didn't disappoint. To me, it's only fault is that it could've been longer.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 3:19 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I think the Don/Collin fight in Flashpoint or perhaps the Don on 10 Karatekas fight in Ip Man can be said to be the last true CLASSIC HK FILM FIGHT. Can't really think of anything after that, deserving of that moniker.

Hmm...I really like set piece in CZ12 that starts on the sofa and leads to a vintage Jackie group melee at the counterfeit art plant. Everything before that is crap (save the opening roller-body sequence), but that's a great fight.

Is True Legend a Hong Kong film? The Vincent Zhao-Andy On fight was quite awesome, as far as I was concerned.

• Like 3

Donnie Yen vs Wu Jing, without a doubt... It set a new standard in Hong Kong action choreography (and in general). The fight with Sammo was more old-fashioned HK style mixed with MMA.

• Like 2

And we finish out the week with a tie!!

1. Donnie Yen vs. Wu Jing - 50%
2. Donnie Yen vs. Sammo Hung - 50%

• Like 3

This week: The Prodigal Son (1981)

Lam Ching-Ying vs. Frankie Chan

Yuen Biao vs. Frankie Chan

• Like 2

legendarycurry

I voted for Yuen Biao VS Frankie Chan. It is my all-time favorite fight scene from my all-time favorite movie after all. Lam Ching Ying VS Frankie is a very very close second though in my list of favorite fight scenes,  I can totally understand if that one ends up winning the poll.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Frankie Chan versus Lam Ching Ying may very well be my second favourite fight scene of all time. In my opinion, it's easily the best fight scene in The Prodigal Son. I think the finale is actually quite flawed and fails to deliver the big climax the film needs.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
50 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Frankie Chan versus Lam Ching Ying may very well be my second favourite fight scene of all time. In my opinion, it's easily the best fight scene in The Prodigal Son. I think the finale is actually quite flawed and fails to deliver the big climax the film needs.

Now I'm curious which fight is your number one!

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
2 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

Now I'm curious which fight is your number one!

Lam Ching Ying versus Yuen Biao and Wai Pak versus Yuen Miu in The Magnificent Butcher. It's cheating a little because it's two fight scenes going on at the same time but I'd say Yuen Biao/Lam Ching Ying is my favourite.

• Like 3

Just now, Drunken Monk said:

Lam Ching Ying versus Yuen Biao and Wai Pak versus Yuen Miu in The Magnificent Butcher. It's cheating a little because it's two fight scenes going on at the same time but I'd say Yuen Biao/Lam Ching Ying is my favourite.

Isn't the Philip Ko/Gordon Liu pole fight in your top 5, too?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
Just now, DrNgor said:

Isn't the Philip Ko/Gordon Liu pole fight in your top 5, too?

It's up there. I do love that fight A LOT. Thinking about it, it probably is in my top five. Which is weird since I don't really like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter all that much.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
27 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Those are excellent fights!

• Like 2

legendarycurry
25 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

It's up there. I do love that fight A LOT. Thinking about it, it probably is in my top five. Which is weird since I don't really like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter all that much.

Not to get too off-topic but why don't you like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter all that much?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, legendarycurry said:

Not to get too off-topic but why don't you like Eight Diagram Pole Fighter all that much?

I’m not sure there’s a specific reason. I just don’t think it’s as good as most people do. It’s probably the single most overrated Shaw Brothers film in my opinion.

Now, I’m not saying it’s terrible. I’m just saying I don’t love it all that much. For example, the final fight does nothing for me. I’m in the minority, I know. 

• Like 4

Just now, Drunken Monk said:

For example, the final fight does nothing for me. I’m in the minority, I know. 

For speaking such a sacrilege, you must pay penance purchasing a copy of  Journey of the Doomed and watching it 10 consecutive times!

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
10 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

For speaking such a sacrilege, you must pay penance purchasing a copy of  Journey of the Doomed and watching it 10 consecutive times!

Who knows? If I don’t love Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, maybe I’ll love Journey of the Doomed.

• Like 2