The (2024) Pro Wrestling Thread: NWA/NJPW/AEW/ROH/WWE/Impact/Indies

DragonClaws

PandaPawPaw

I love the old WCW/NJPW shows. Always fun.

The Great Muta is no doubt my favourite wrestler. So damn cool!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

I love the old WCW/NJPW shows. Always fun.

The Great Muta is no doubt my favourite wrestler. So damn cool!

I actually watched another great match between them fairly recently when I was watching some of the old WCW events. I can’t remember what else was on that card, but I remember it being good overall.

I was following the fued between Ric Flair and Terry Funk, which was pretty incredible. When the feud began, Flair and Ricky Steamboat just finished wrestling for what had to be half an hour or so, then Flair and Funk did a brawl for 10-15 minutes directly afterwards..

Seeing stuff like this makes you realize the validity in “they just don’t make ‘em like they used to.” (Across many sport/disciplines)

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 4

OpiumKungFuCracker
3 hours ago, paimeifist said:

I actually watched another great match between them fairly recently when I was watching some of the old WCW events. I can’t remember what else was on that card, but I remember it being good overall.

I was following the fued between Ric Flair and Terry Funk, which was pretty incredible. When the feud began, Flair and Ricky Steamboat just finished wrestling for what had to be half an hour or so, then Flair and Funk did a brawl for 10-15 minutes directly afterwards..

Seeing stuff like this makes you realize the validity in “they just don’t make ‘em like they used to.” (Across many sport/disciplines)

Agreed, was watching Starrcade 88 and Sting/Dusty Rhodes vs LOD was by far my MOTN, that crowd was hot! I think LOD might go down as one of the greatest tag teams of all time. 

• Like 2

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Are you talking about their feud that took place in WCW around 89/90?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

One of the oldest Pro-Wrestling promotions in the world founded in 1933.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Are you talking about their feud that took place in WCW around 89/90?.

Yup, exactly. Some good and rough matches, solid storyline, and Ric Flair being a face is interesting!

• Like 3

DragonClaws
Just now, paimeifist said:

Yup, exactly. Some good and rough matches, solid storyline, and Ric Flair being a face is interesting!

Yeah the dynamic was different, many of their matches have been rated highly by fans over the years. For fans from that era, they had waited a long time to see two big names facing off. At least thats the impression I got from reading magazines and fanzines as a teenager. If there matches were listed in bootleg tape the catalgoues I ordered. They would usually have a star rating next to them. Many of those catalogues would have some kind of rating system for the compilations or events they were selling.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 4

PandaPawPaw

Starrcade 89 was the first time I saw Muta.

Spoiler

I hated how Muta lost all his matches in that tournament.

• Like 4

PandaPawPaw

Oooooh that Forbidden Door doc looks interesting.

Started watching this weeks Dyno and all I can say is WTF was that

Spoiler

Wardlow/OC match. Really WTF was it! Awful!

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 2

-AEW had a pretty good show last Wednesday capped off with Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland winning the AEW Tag titles, I was pulling for Team Taz but I'm sure they will get them down the line.

-I didn't watch Rampage as the ROH storylines don't interest me honestly, I used to go the shows a lot back in the day when Punk, Joe and Bryan were running on top there.  

-I feel like there will be some controversial decision coming out of Summerslam as I don't see Roman beating Brock again cleanly.  Maybe Theory cashes in and somehow the belts get split up again (hopefully).

-I guess it's cool that Jeff Jarrett will be there as the special ref for the Usos/Street Profits rematch, because they're in Nashville.  I'm excited for the show as it's my first Summerslam event that I'm attending live.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

That three-way tag team match on Dynamite was bonkers. So many great moments and Keith Lee finally got to show what he’s capable of.

• Like 3

PandaPawPaw

I read today about Xpac putting frogs into Jim Cornette's jacket and bashing it against a wall which lead me to the British Bulldogs abusing their dog Matilda and giving steroids to a handicapped fan. :(

Which then lead me to the Dragon Gate scandal. (taken from wiki).

In 2009, Cima was one of many Dragon Gate wrestlers embroiled in an animal abuse scandal surrounding Cora, the pet monkey that lived in the Dragon Gate dojo. It was alleged the monkey had been choked until it passed out, burned with charcoal, thrown into a tub of boiling hot water, fed sake regularly until it would pass out, dragged around by a chain on its neck, and burned with fire crackers. Cima was reportedly the one who had brought the monkey into the dojo, but had failed to keep up with the exotic animals preservation laws, though he was not accused of any of the abuse. After the events came to light, Cima took a three-month pay cut and shaved his head to show remorse.

I also read Akira Tozawa and Shingo Takagi may have been involved.

https://serbiananimalsvoice.com/2009/07/20/japan-japanese-animal-abusing-wrestlers-about-to-start-usa-tour-abuse-primates-please-take-action/

Fucking awful!

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 2

PandaPawPaw

Dynamite good: Starks talking, Brody/Darby match.

Dynamite bad: Everything else.

That main event was awful.

Spoiler

The Lock botch and seeing the guys squeeze through the cage bars was fucking hilarious but in a bad way!  WTF!

Anna Jay turning heel who cares.

Jungle Boy is utterly boring.

Tony Khan sucks as a booker.

Edited by PandaPawPaw
  • Like 2

Smackdown last week was horrible. Liv had at least 3 blatant botches in one match - they gotta take that title away from her…. Lol.

Solid episode of RAW on Monday tho.

Carmella and Bianca had another decent match - but there was some cringe dialogue involved all around - and I just can’t stand Becky Lynch (but not in a good heel way.). She can’t pull it off, everything seems forced all the time. I like her in ring skills… but they gotta stop giving her the mic or switch the gimmick for me..

Judgement Day was super lame to me when it first started - but now it’s probably become one of the more interesting storylines out - and all the players involved are solid performers all around… Cool match with Mysterio and Priesr, would have been better if Dominik joined Judgement Day though, lol!

Theory has also had one of the better storylines, and I think he’s solid all around… they should start letting him win some matches legitimately though to keep it from getting stale… Fun match with AJ Styles, with Dolph Ziggler making another appearance.

There was other stuff too, but it mostly served as teaser/filler ahead of SummerSlam.

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
7 hours ago, paimeifist said:

Carmella and Bianca had another decent match - but there was some cringe dialogue involved all around - and I just can’t stand Becky Lynch (but not in a good heel way.). She can’t pull it off, everything seems forced all the time. I like her in ring skills… but they gotta stop giving her the mic or switch the gimmick for me..

Preach!

I liked her before she became champ for the first time then it went down hill. She's so utterly annoying and her hard nut frothing at the mouth persona is so forced. Someone needs to tell her she's not Stone Cold. Her promos suck as she just goes on and on doing stupid voice changes thinking it's funny. Ugh!

Liv being champ is ridiculous too. She doesn't look like she could whoop anyone (same as Alexa who I think is also overrated).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Preach!

I liked her before she became champ for the first time then it went down hill. She's so utterly annoying and her hard nut frothing at the mouth persona is so forced. Someone needs to tell her she's not Stone Cold. Her promos suck as she just goes on and on doing stupid voice changes thinking it's funny. Ugh!

Liv being champ is ridiculous too. She doesn't look like she could whoop anyone (same as Alexa who I think is also overrated).

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks Becky’s act is awful. What I hate most is when there’s actually a good singles match going on, and they show her talking instead of the women wrestling…. This has happened on several occasions since Mania. The fact that it’s easy to see her being top tier with a better character fit makes it more frustrating.

I think Liv is worse than Alexa Bliss, but they’re both pretty bad… small women seem to have a harder time overcoming a size advantage and making it look believable compared to men. Sasha Banks was better than them, but still had the same issue to a lesser degree for me.

Ie. I cannot envision any of them realistically challenging Bianca Belair or Rhea Ripley (hope she’s recovering okay and can’t wait to see her back)

I feel like guys like Finn Balor or Mustafa Ali manage to do a decent job in spite of being smaller - and obviously Rey Mysterio but he’s a legend.

In amazed at how many people get away with weak-sauce punches without improving, I see it more with women, but there are some top level guys with this issue too…. Seth Rollins in that in-crowd brawl with Cody was horrendous….

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 3

PandaPawPaw

:D:D

I loved the way Scott Hall and Rick Rude threw punches. They always looked like they had forced behind them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

:D:D

I loved the way Scott Hall and Rick Rude threw punches. They always looked like they had forced behind them.

My main takeaway from that video is actually not how bad Shane is - but how amazing Randy is. 😂

He waited til a decent shot came to sell - what a veteran. Looked at Shane like “come on dude….”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PandaPawPaw

At least Shane is kind of on target unlike this guy......

I still remember that and I was like WTF his he doing! I know it's not meant to be real but come on! :o:D:P

• Like 3

Today's been quite the day so far as Vince McMahon has announced his retirement from WWE.  I always thought he would keep working until he passed away but it's probably for the best with all the allegations coming out.

• Like 4