The Silent Sea (2021) Korean, Netflix

One Armed Boxer

One Armed Boxer

I don't know how it happened, but somehow I got to this one before @laagi.:tongueout

Ok so I found 'The Silent Sea' to be really enjoyable. I went in with pretty low expectations, so either my enjoyment could be from the fact I don't really watch a lot of sci-fi, meaning if some of the ideas have already been done, I may not have realised and as a result the concepts felt pretty fresh. Or it could be the fact that I've found most Korean attempts at sci-fi to be either crap (2012's 11 AM) or completely derogatory of more original works (2021's Space Sweepers), so to see a sci-fi that maintains a Korean flavour despite its moon based location was distinctly refreshing! 

Basically the planet is running low on water, and every nation has been searching for ways to create more of it. The moon was one such option which was looked at, however the station that Korea built there was abandoned 5 years ago after an alleged radiation leak which killed everyone. When it's revealed that there's samples leftover in the station that could unlock the secret to bringing the oceans and rivers back to Earth, a crew is sent there to retrieve whatever the sample may be (the government are keeping their cards close to their chest), and bring it back for further research.

To go into any further detail would involve going into spoiler territory, but I will say is that what unfolds is a healthy mix of horror, suspense, thriller, and mystery, with the main drivers of the plot being the characters who are all well drawn out. The cast is impressive, with Gong Yoo headlining after his special appearance in 'Squid Game', and Bae Doona (the Netflix zombie series 'Kingdom', 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance') as his co-star. For fans of Korean cinema there's plenty more familiar faces in there as well.

Worthy checking out at a short and punchy 8 episodes, each one being 45 - 50 mins long.

The-Silent-Sea-poster-1.jpg.779c233b849e7ea5915e978f61ee6367.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just finished this and thought it was quite good.Maybe one or two episodes too long but worth a watch.Not spectacular and if wasn’t available to binge watch I probably wouldn’t watch it every week but if you’ve got a spare day or two(I’ve got COVID so I have)give it a go 

• Like 2