Chan wants to work with Jaa

Guest Liu chung liang

Guest Liu chung liang

on a Thai TV show www.tony-jaa.org/download/tonyjaa_news0906.wmv

The hosts talked about the US release of "The Protector" and how well the movie is doing on the US Box Office. They also said that Jaa is now very popular among fans in the US. They said as well that Tony is now in the process of directing Ong-Bak 2 and that he has been contacted recently by Jackie Chan who would like to work together with him.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you speak Thai? Cause I couldn't understand a f'n word those 4 lovely ladies where saying.

As far as Chan...blah blah blah, I just read how he's joining Li in wanting to get into other acting roles then action/ma parts, and I have a feeling Jaa would be tied down into some contract with Pinkaew or Rittikrai that will keep him from making movies outside the Thai film industry for a while. But I'd love to see him do some colabrations with HK, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Guest Riceboy2000

Its doing well now? I was reading on another site about how poor the protector was doing... At least the weekend opening it came in 4th place. The bad part being that the movie which came in 1st received the lowest weekened box office opening since 3 years.

It's doing well for per screen average, not to mention it will be the most successful Thai movie in the US thus far, which won't be saying much, but it's a start.

Guest The Running Man
The hosts talked about the US release of "The Protector" and how well the movie is doing on the US Box Office.

:lol

Yeah....it's "doing". And that's about it.

Guest teako170

Numbers for the film are slipping, unfortunately. Its US domestic opening weekend numbers were $5,034,180 - 1,541 theaters - $3,266 average.

Now, that average isn't bad at all. To give you an idea, the top 3 films of this past weekend were: #1 Gridiron Gang ($4,280 avg.), #2 The Black Dahlia ($4,654 avg.) and #3 Everyone's Hero ($2,123 avg.).

The overall numbers though have dropped from week 1 to week 2 by 51.1%. Total domestic sales are slightly over $9M for 10 days.

Its not going to be a major box office victory for Jaa (or the genre) but, like Tosh mentioned, its a start and hopefully better things down the road will come from it.

Guest limubai2000

It was not heavily promoted and this month is notoriously not good for films... re - dumping ground for films. So it's no surprise to me that it is not doing as well as we'd like. Fearless will not do to well I fear.

Considering the lack of real promotion, meaning theatrical trailers on TV and other action films it is doing good. I'd be curious to see what the DVD does though as word of mouth will help it I'm sure.

Weinsteins will wait for a sure fire hit before they dump real money on promotion and obviously they haven't had confidence in a few properties that could have done very well like, Shaolin Soccer, Ong Bak, Hero and SPL --- IF they were properly marketed an released. I think Shaolin Soccer had the best potential for doing really well across the board, that film has mass market appeal, all they really had to do was slap an english dub on it, promote it as a action/comedy and release it wide on about 1500+ screens. It probably could have cracked the 50 million mark, I doubt it could have made the "holy grail 100 million" but who knows maybe it could have.

They still are looking for their CTHD which they might end up making since they bought the rights; though they will be court over that soon against Sony/Columbia/Tristar.

I though Hero did good at the domestic box office? Didn't it make it over the 100 million mark? Harv really did drop the ball with Shaolin Soccer, It cleaned house in Asia and Europe, I thought had he marketed it to the Hispanic people, who are big soccer fans, that movie would have done well here.

Guest The Running Man
Weinsteins will wait for a sure fire hit before they dump real money on promotion and obviously they haven't had confidence in a few properties that could have done very well like, Shaolin Soccer, Ong Bak, Hero and SPL

Ol' Harvey didn't have Ong Bak. And Hero was their only real hit. Hero did really well even though the movie was delayed and still heavily altered. The movie was number 1 at the box office for two straight weeks in a row. I don't think any foreign film has ever done that.

Guest teako170
Didn't it make it over the 100 million mark?
Worldwide, it pulled in $177M but only $53M here in the US. That put it at #3 for Jet's best in the US. LH4 pulled in $130M and Romeo (ugh!) pulled in about $56M.

Guest Dion Brother

Is THE PROTECTOR subtitled? Because that WILL hurt it with its main target audience, the R-rated action crowd. Also, these films only do really good if they have a gimmick that expands their appeal outside of the action fans. And THE PROTECTOR has nothing but great fight scenes on its side. It'll do better on dvd.

Guest jirpy100

I think Protector will continue to make at most US$ 15 mil at the Box Office. That's very good, all things considered. How much do you think they paid for it? They paid $ 20 mil for Hero, which was to be the next CTHD for them, and making over $53 mil was excellent for a foreign film, so they definitely got their money's worth!

They probably paid between $5 - $10 mil for Protector. You cannot expect a subtitled action film to do well. And all the European autuers of past would give anything if their films made even a 10th of the Protector's take.

I think Fearless will make between $20 - $30 million at the box office, since it will draw a broader audience. Jet Li has a lot of action fans, and the ones who enjoyed Shaolin Soccor and Ong Bak will not mind sitting through a subtitled film. Plus, a few art-film fans will watch it expecting another Hero.

Guest The Running Man
They probably paid between $5 - $10 mil for Protector. You cannot expect a subtitled action film to do well.

Truth is, Harvey only put it in over 1,000 screens. So he basically set himself up for such box office. For all accounts I have heard, most of the screenings for the movie, on it's opening weekend, have been quite packed.

That's pretty much the way he has been releasing all Asian action films theatrically and they end up doing the same kind of business.

Archived