Your top 3 old school villains

Yu Tien Lung

If you're like me, the villain will make or break a film. If the bad guy doesn't seem viable as serious threat to your well being of have the ability to stomp your head into the ground, I'll lose interest very quickly. I've never even been able to sit thru the "Gangs of New York" because 90lb Daniel Day Lewis always looked like someone I could snap like a twig, or the Big Boss from the Big Boss, had no muscles and seemed like he might have had COPD from them cigs when Bruce was whooping that azz.

So instead of all the do-gooder hero nice guys, let's give those dastardly demons some love, without them nobody would be out for REVENGE.

3- LO LIEH - Although he was first introduced to the USA as a good guy in the first chop sockey to make a splash here in THE FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH (that's right before Bruce), but as the evil white haired priest he is immortal, impervious to anyone's best groin kick. Just think how you'd feel after kicking someone in the crotch and he smiles, laughs, then proceeds to dislocate every bone in your body.

2- BOLO YEUNG - ...... Because he's Bolo!! Not just cause he snaps the spines of guards who fail their duties, or that he spanked around JCVD for most of Bloodsport, but he's someone you can tell right away that movie or not, he'd squash you like a bug.

1- WONG FEI-LUNG - Not only does this guy have the longest resume of villain roles, playing evil warlords or Japanese invaders, but his role as the Okinawan Karate cat from the One Armed Boxer is legendary. The look, the fangs, his Karate deadliness, the fact he can't even get along with the other villains, and yanking off Jimmy's arm with one swipe.

The highest level of baddassery.

Edited by Yu Tien Lung
correction
  • Like 4

TibetanWhiteCrane

I thought you meant specific villain characters, not actors. But yeah, Hwang Jang Lee, Ku Feng, Wang Lung Wei, Lee Hoi San, Fung Hak On, Wilson Tong, Chang Yi are up there.

• Like 6

TibetanWhiteCrane
3 hours ago, Yu Tien Lung said:

1- WONG FEI-LUNG

I get that you mean Lung Fei here, though never seen that variation on his name.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I get that you mean Lung Fei here, though never seen that variation on his name.

Yea that's how it is on Wiki, and he's Fei Lung on IMDB, maybe a couple other versions. I guess it comes with the territory of being in over 150 films, most poorly translated to english.

... and your list is pretty good, forgot about Lee Hoi San, he might beat out Lo Lieh's white haired demon with iron nuts.  Fung Hak On had a huge bad guy resume too, he played some roles where he was the underling villain that got his butt whooped early on in the film and had to go running to the boss.

• Like 4

Chu Liu Hsiang

In no specific order...

Lo Lieh, his evil characters have a scary psycho touch. I much prefer to see him in his early heroic roles. 

Ku Feng, I love to despise him 

Fung Hak On, for some unspeakably hateful roles 

Hwang Jang Lee,  Wang Lung Wei, their evil characters seem to be so content and happy being evil

Beardy, perfect henchman.  Of course he often proved he can play lead characters,  too

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
Just realized I listed 6 instead of 3 :)
  • Like 9

* Wang Lung Wei

* Fung Hak On

* Tien Feng

There are a few more that can possibly interchange between the above three for me.

• Like 4

On 12/16/2021 at 9:07 AM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

In no specific order...

Lo Lieh, his evil characters have a scary psycho touch. I much prefer to see him in his early heroic roles. 

Ku Feng, I love to despise him 

Fung Hak On, for some unspeakably hateful roles 

Hwang Jang Lee,  Wang Lung Wei, their evil characters seem to be so content and happy being evil

Beardy, perfect henchman.  Of course he often proved he can play lead characters,  too

My list to a T

• Like 3

It's hard to pick only three, this genre thrived on villains and there were plenty of good ones. First off we have the all around solid Hwang Jang Lee of course, who had seemed to have a real good time channeling evil in his performances. Many notable performances. Then Wang Lung Wei comes to mind, always laid back and cool surrounded with the atmosphere of a mastermind mafia boss. Lo Lieh of course... But then I somehow also would love to feature Kam Kong, his performances in MotFG and Iron Monkey is so menacing!

• Like 3

I could be at this all night but 3 that instantly come to mind are:

Ghostface killer from mystery of chess boxing

Fung hak on in warriors 2

Master of the flying guillotine

• Like 5

Wang Lung Wei(always thought he was a great villain and worthy adversary)

Fung Hak On(Always seemed moody and had that evil look,even when he was playing a good guy)

Hwang Jang Lee(his look his insistence  on ruling the martial world in a hell of a lot of films and of course his vicious kicks)

Edited by sym8
  • Like 5

Yeah, put me down for:

Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee - Even movies where he only gets a single fight scene will usually give him top billing on the VHS or DVD cover. 

Wang Lung-Wei - Yeah, a great martial artist and villain, too.

Chen Sing - With the muscular physique, brutal tiger claw and sleazy mustache, he's one of the great villains of Kung Fu cinema.

• Like 5

J.J. Hayden
On 1/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, De Ming Li said:

Anyone think Martin Chui is a cool villain?

I was thinking that there weren't enough Koreans in here, lol. Choe Min-gyu (Martin Chui) and Hwang Jeong-lee are pretty good and obviously Kwan Yeong-moon and Casanova Wang Ho are obvious mentions.

But I want to put some who don't get as much love, though they certainly deserve it, there boot-work is hard to match, if you don't know them check them out:

1) Kim Yeong-il (Eagle Han Ying)

2) Kwon Seong-yeong

3) Choe Jeong-il

Cheers

• Like 2