Don't Look Up (2021) Netflix - Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence

laagi

This is getting a limited theatrical release before hitting Netflix December 24th. Had the pleasure to catch this on the big screen.

I can see that this will definitely not be for everyone! Also you'll see a lot of painful similarities with what we're currently experiencing. This at least in my opinion will also ultimately decide whether you can enjoy it for a socio-political satire or you're just gonna hate it and mark it off as another leftist hollywood elite propaganda.

I for once enjoye it very much for the most part. Haven't seen such a good satire in quite some time. Which takes swings and hits at pretty much everything that dictate our daily lives. Much of it which we gladly and freely do to ourselves. Ignorance is bliss! And I feel as guilty as anyone.

It's also very interesting how the movie was cut together. Don't wanna give too  much away but you'll know when you see it. Adding is one hell of a supporting cast including Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, Timothée Chalamet, Ariana Grande, Ron Perlman, Maryl Streep and more.

One thing though, while I did enjoy the movie it does have its lengths. Which many times I find a problem in new releases nowadays. I just don't get why movies need to be 120+ minutes like all the time.

Besides, seeing an A-list cast of actors as well as one of the biggest popstars of today mocking the very industry that feeds them does feel rather akward at times. Or you may call it self aware or having a sense of humour? I don't know. The more I think about it I'm not so sure I can take it too serious... Then again it's satire so who am I to judge.

As if that wouldn't be enough this movie got a R rating of all things. Now don't get your hopes up it's not because of some bloody action... Oh no! Violence any schmuck can enjoy but god beware for some full frontal nudity that's where we have to draw the line. This alone makes it a satire in itself. I'll gladly recommend this movie. Laughing at ones own life choices rarely feels this good.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

This was a movie that really scared me for the future of cinema, to have such a huge like Leonardo Dicaprio, Jonah Hill, and major popstar Ariana Grande, rapper Kid Cudi, etc. 

Was relived to hear it was still in theaters, although only limitedly, after a friend of a friend that mentioned they saw it on the bigscreen, after we saw Black Licorice.

Still not much interest in seeing it personally, not yet at least. In the beginning of winter like this Id rather finally get around to catching Renevant or something.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

This was my second worst movie of 2021 after Venom 2. It's obnoxious, low on laughs and an absolute slog to get through. It's ironically saying "Rich people? Am I right!?" while the cast and director are all multi-millionaires. The whole thing feels obnoxious.
There is an incredibly well done scene at the end of the film (I won't spoil it) and I can't help but feel that I wanted the entire movie to be more like that. Alas, we're left with something overblown, patronizing and lazy.

• Like 3