Valley of The Double Dragon (aka Fist Fighter aka Kung Fu of Taekwondo) (1974)

kurtz

sounds right up my street,unfortunately i hate watching kung fu movies in pan & scan. ruins them for me.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
28 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

I just found this, and I wonder if it's a  bootlegg, since this guy also sells Shaws' bootleg...

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Kung-Fu-Of-Tai-Kwan-Do-DVD-oop-US-pilot-jumps-into-Japanese-escapes-w-kung/263703313554?hash=item3d65f13c92:g:xZQAAOSwW09aWCOE

I believe that's a legit release, however since it's a (I'm pretty sure) public domain title, I wouldn't expect the best quality.  But hey, we're fu fans, so I'm sure you'll be used to it!

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

My copy won't even play, LOL! That being said, I heard it was not good at all. Kim Jin Pal got a little play but when Tan Tao Liang came on to the scene he sort of unintentionally ate his lunch. I don't think Kim was all that into the movie thing anyways, more of a instructor. Remember, movies did not pay well, you might have been better off starting a chain of schools, etc. You really had to crank out the flicks to make a good living. I understand some actors bought apartment buildings, but we all know many others that died broke. May be why Angela Mao wasn't all that wistful about leaving the business.....

• Like 1

Shaolivevil
2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I just found this, and I wonder if it's a  bootlegg, since this guy also sells Shaws' bootleg...

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Kung-Fu-Of-Tai-Kwan-Do-DVD-oop-US-pilot-jumps-into-Japanese-escapes-w-kung/263703313554?hash=item3d65f13c92:g:xZQAAOSwW09aWCOE

I have that same copy of Kung Fu Of Tai Kwan Do. It's pan and scan no question. I wouldn't mind seeing this letter-boxed and restored but I doubt that will ever happen...

• Like 2

NoKUNGFUforYU

The better movie for that is either Tiger or Hong Kong Connection with Master Pal. Tiger is out there, in a horrendous deteriorated form, but it looks like a decent flick, just hard on the eyes at this point. I saw Hong Kong Connection back in the 70's in Oakland once or twice, and there is a nice Hapkido demonstration in the first 20 minutes. That is a lost flick. I subbed the German version of Godfathers of Hong Kong (with a ton of help from my friend Chen Hung Lieh on this site) and it was stolen by FLK Cinema for re sale. That's a good flick, btw, just really bleak. 

Edited by NoKUNGFUforYU
Title missing from sentence
  • Like 2

Does anyone know if there is a watchable DVD of this available anywhere? I want to see Bob Baker in this one, there's a link on cinemageddon but it's dead. thanks

• Like 2

Dragon/Soulblade had a DVD. It's fullscreen with english dub, so it might not be watchable to some. I liked it enough for what it was. It's under the title 'Kung Fu of Tai Kwan Do'.

Looks like this:

kungfuoftaikwando.jpg.34eef6f19129be780136bd9cea082758.jpg

• Like 4

If this is the same movie, I had it at one point but sold it for $5.

Kung Fu Of Tai Kwan Do

TITLE: Kung Fu of Tai Kwan Do - EPI - DVD
PRICE$5 SOLD
CONDITION: Opened but excellent quality

• Like 3

I have the vcd of it, but I'm afraid I won't be able to go to the post office to send it, since we are in lockdown...

And I don't remember if it's subbed or not, I'll have to check it.

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU
5 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I have the vcd of it, but I'm afraid I won't be able to go to the post office to send it, since we are in lockdown...

And I don't remember if it's subbed or not, I'll have to check it.

Is the VCD letter box?

• Like 1

Thanks to Bruce Lee researcher Hai Tien, for sharing this information/possible connection with fans over at the Bruce Lee Lives Forum. After Valley of The Double Dragon, director Ulysses Au-Yeung Jun, would go onto direct CFreedom Strikes A Blow a.k.a Chinese Hercules. Starring two of Bruce Lee's former friends Chan Wai-Man & Bolo Yeung.

Link- https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bruceleelivestributeforum/uh-oh-huge-ramifications-for-the-bruce-lee-estate--t4797-s890.html?sid=076902298b8e73b7f5192d17e071c7e7

I'm into film business more now including screen writing - sharping up your kicking and getting your head together, I might be able in the near future write something for you and I to do, maybe some thing small then building up*. - Bruce Lee

* I'm beginning to think that Kung Fu of Taekwondo (a.k.a. Valley of the Double Dragon) may have been a film that Bruce had planned to do with Bob Baker. It's not a total stretch since, if you remember, I once posted about there being some Chinese sites which referred to the director of the movie being one of the people who Bruce spoke to in his final week (at the Shaw studio of all places). - Hai Tien (Bruce Lee Lives Forum)

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

I thought my post would be more suited to the Bruce Lee sub-forum?. If it turns to to be a Bruce Lee project, that was later taken over by someone else?.I can see why it could be merged here too, is it not possible to have two seperate threads?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

If a distributor was smart, they'd release this on disc and tout Kim as the man who taught Hapkido to Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Angela Mao Ying vs Bruce Lee student Robert Baker.  But distributors no longer know how to sell these films to the English-speaking markets.  The pan and scan is barely watchable, but I'd give it another shot if a widescreen print shows up.  Last I looked, I think Kim was running a school in DC or Maryland.

• Like 3

Just now, dionbrother said:

If a distributor was smart, they'd release this on disc and tout Kim as the man who taught Hapkido to Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Angela Mao Ying vs Bruce Lee student Robert Baker.  But distributors no longer know how to sell these films to the English-speaking markets. 

If there was any further proof, that Bruce Lee developed the story/plot for Bob Baker. Then I'm sure it would be sold in a similar way. Bruce Lee helped to develope the When Taekwondo Strikes project, but has any official release highlighted this on the cover?. With all the Bruceploitation stuff happening in the 70's, Im surprised it wasnt mentioned on the films international theatrical posters.

• Like 2