Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In (formerly known as Kowloon Walled City) (2024)

Drunken Monk

One Armed Boxer
3 hours ago, JJBINKS said:

Bruce Lee would turn in his grave.

For a second there I thought we were getting a long awaited sequel to ‘Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave’! :tongueout

• Haha 1

americanpzycho
6 hours ago, laagi said:

There's an ongoing debate whether or not they've been correctly translated. In terms of capturing the 1980's HK vibe or whatever you wanna call it. I watched a 4k Rip with said subs and they seemed perfectly fine to me. 

Also I'm not sure but I think the HK Blu Ray is missing english subs for the opening/end credits if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone else can confirm. Which has some basic information about HK at the time and the Walled City. 

No subs were missing on my copy of the HK blu-ray. The opening and end credits had the English translations.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

On 8/21/2024 at 10:35 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

For a second there I thought we were getting a long awaited sequel to ‘Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave’! :tongueout

Bruce prob reviewed this mcvie with his words  in Enter the Dragon.'You have offended  my family & you have offended the Shaolin temple''.

They go to o.t.t.It shouldn't' even  b called a martial arts film as there r non in it.It's a fantasy film.

I want a sequel to 'Bruce Lee fights back from the grave'.Where he bursts out of his  coffin 2 beat up the punks who made this movie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJBINKS said:

Bruce prob reviewed this mcvie with his words  in Enter the Dragon.'You have offended  my family & you have offended the Shaolin temple''.

They go to o.t.t.It shouldn't' even  b called a martial arts film as there r non in it.It's a fantasy film.

I want a sequel to 'Bruce Lee fights back from the grave'.Where he bursts out of his  coffin 2 beat up the punks who made this movie.

jesus GIF

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, laagi said:

jesus GIF

I think ur comment is exactly what Bruce would say if he saw it .I feel like all the good comments r just because it's an hong kong movie.Bruce would smash the bluray of this film with his 1 inch punch.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JJBINKS said:

I feel like all the good comments r just because it's an hong kong movie

Unless you've watched it yourself I don't really think you're in any position to judge the opinion of others. Hong Kong or not I think most of us just enjoyed it and hence consider it a good movie! 

• Like 2

PandaPawPaw
14 hours ago, laagi said:

Unless you've watched it yourself I don't really think you're in any position to judge the opinion of others. Hong Kong or not I think most of us just enjoyed it and hence consider it a good movie! 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952sztfmnsusbc8kvqffh

and I'll tell you it once I've seen it. :P

• Haha 1

Drunken Monk
On 8/25/2024 at 6:55 AM, JJBINKS said:

It's very much a martial arts film. Saying otherwise is just daft. Also, you putting words in Bruce Lee's mouth is becoming a bit cringeworthy. The man's dead. We don't know how he'd feel in 2024, had he lived. He could've loved Twilight of the Warriors. Shit, maybe he would have been given Sammo's role. Who knows? Point is, none of us do.

What you're doing is taking your opinion and putting it in Bruce Lee's mouth. If you don't like the film - despite not seeing it yet - then that's fine. A little silly, but fine. If that's the way you work, that's the way you work. But you shouldn't spend time trying to haunt a thread celebrating an excellent film with Bruce Lee's fake ghost. It's odd. Perhaps find your way to the Bruce Lee section of the boards and post your love of the man over there.

• Like 2
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/26/2024 at 1:06 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952sztfmnsusbc8kvqffh

and I'll tell you it once I've seen it. :P

U will b only hurting urself..Best bits r usually in trailer.Unless a guy backflips catches a cirgarette in his left  hand ,  catches a bullet in his right hand , breaks a sword with his teeth  & dances on ceiling all at same time  i'd get my money back & hand in my king of  kungfu badge.

Edited by JJBINKS

PandaPawPaw
12 minutes ago, JJBINKS said:

U will b only hurting urself..Best bits r usually in trailer.Unless a guy backflips catches a cirgarette in his left  hand ,  catches a bullet in his right hand , breaks a sword with his teeth  & dances on ceiling all at same time  i'd get my money back & hand in my king of  kungfu badge.

No way am I handing in my Kungfu badge! It took me years to get it!

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

It goes nicely with my other badges.............

il_fullxfull.3254701272_lg53.jpg

I enjoyed the start of the film then it went downhill for me, glad I saw it, but was hoping for better. I think mainly the wire work and like someone else said camera work just made it not as enjoyable for me. There were some good in there, just not enough. Just my opinion. I was patiently waiting for this too, oh well. Next

On 8/21/2024 at 8:07 PM, JJBINKS said:

looks like lots of wirework.

The movie is based on a popular manhua (Chinese comic book) set in 1980s Kowloon Walled City. Wirework is essential for a comic book adaptation like this.

• Like 1

Not that I wanna keep this discussion going any longer as we all have different preferences when it comes to how action is shot. Which is totally fine by me to be clear!

BUT, I don't get the general hate for the wire-work in this movie? Yes I'm honestly not a fan of it myself like AT ALL. However here it never really bothered me.

If anything I'm more surprised that nobody was bothered by King's (Philip Ng) "superpower" which I found utterly off-putting. Circling back to my opening statement that might just be me again.

Edited by laagi
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2024 at 1:36 AM, DiP said:

The movie is based on a popular manhua (Chinese comic book) set in 1980s Kowloon Walled City. Wirework is essential for a comic book adaptation like this.

5 minutes ago, laagi said:

Not that I wanna keep this discussion going any longer as we all have different preferences when it comes to how action is shot. Which is totally fine by me to be clear!

BUT, I don't get the general hate for the wire-work in this movie? Yes I'm honestly not a fan of it myself like AT ALL. However here it never really bothered me.

If anything I'm more surprised that nobody was bothered by King's (Philip Ng) "superpower" which I found utterly off-putting. Circling back to my opening statement that might just be me again.

I think @DiP makes a salient point here. The film is based off a comic & Soi Cheang followed it pretty closely. Judging by the comments I think some folks here were not privy to that fact it went in with expectations of something else completely different.

• Like 2

Also let's not forget that "flying" has always been part of chinese folklore. Especially when it comes to individuals with exceptional martial arts skills. Probably nowhere more evident than in the entire Wuxia genre.