Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In (formerly known as Kowloon Walled City) (2024)

Drunken Monk

8 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

6cf38434cecf81c69b0c0e9e21f89a36.gif

I really can't wait to watch this! First time in while a HK movie has appealed to me (outside of To's work).

angry eric cartman GIF by South Park

• Haha 1

Yihetuan
2 hours ago, Karlos said:

HMV have the BD up for £17.99 with a release date of 7th October 👍

Well Go already announced the 4K UHD + blu ray to be released Nov 19.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

This is now playing locally and I'd love to see it, but sadly there's just too much going on right now. I hope a lot of other people take advantage of the opportunity to see it in the theater.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Drunken Monk
2 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

This is now playing locally and I'd love to see it, but sadly there's just too much going on right now. I hope a lot of other people take advantage of the opportunity to see it in the theater.

I feel like I'm in the same boat. It's playing locally but I just don't see myself getting to it. Of course, I'm priveleged, since I've already seen it, but I'd love to be able to see it in the theater.

• Like 1

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

My son saw it last night and had this to say:

"I ended up seeing TWILIGHT OF THE WARRIORS last night after a mystery screening. It only looks to be playing until Wednesday, and I didn't want to miss out on it. It was very cool. The story isn't anything to write home about, but the action is pretty killer aside from going a little too far into the wirework/wuxia-type stuff at times. Very entertaining overall with some great performances, which is all I really wanted/needed."

I'll pick it up when Well Go releases it on November 19.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

Thought it would've had better domestic box office numbers than this

GU8WsANXsAAKsNO.jpg

Edited by Yihetuan

Trasher66

Got the blu ray in yesterday. Looking forward to watching it since it didn’t come to a theater near me. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

OpiumKungFuCracker
On 8/12/2024 at 2:38 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Same here.

PandaPawPaw
On 8/12/2024 at 8:38 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

I'll go see it if you pay for my ticket? What? You did say to take the advantage of the opportunity..................

Worth a try. :P

I wished I saw this on the big screen but beggars can't be choosers.

Kudos to to entire crew especially the prop department. Whoever is responsible for bringing The Walled City back to live deserves all the praise!

Surprisingly I wasn't all that bothered by the Wire-Fu although they do tend to overuse it at times especially in combination with slow-mow. But again the fight choreography for the most part is top-notch.

I love how they literally use anything they could get their hands on which is basically survival by any means necessary.

The plot is pretty basic which I'm OK with, although they do give away "the twist" about 30 or so minutes into the movie. So there's basically ZERO surprises left. I even found myself thinking "c'mon it can be that obvious" but unfortunately it is.

Louis Koo again to my own surprise was probably one of my favorites. I thought his performance was really on point. So is everyone else's to be fair. Only Philip Ng's character "King" started to get on my nerves with the increasing runtime.

Speaking of which this is really one of my biggest complaints and probably to those familiar with the manga it won't come as a total surprise.

Spoiler

Why on earth did they decide to make "King" almost super-human? I found that irritating to say the least. Yes, I'm aware that some Kung Fu practitioners practice "Iron Body" BUT I mean here it's like he's wearing an invisible bulletproof vest. It's just silly!

Despite this 'Twilight of the Warriors: Walled In" is an overall excellent dare I say outstanding HK action movie. The likes we won't be seeing again any time soon. As such this comes highly recommended.

On 8/14/2024 at 7:15 PM, Yihetuan said:

Thought it would've had better domestic box office numbers than this

GU8WsANXsAAKsNO.jpg

Those numbers seem totally off to be honest...

The film achieved great financial success in Hong Kong, surpassing the record for the most-viewed local film by July 2024 with 1.59 million viewers. It also became the highest-grossing film in Hong Kong that year, earning $105 million HKD.

On 8/16/2024 at 6:35 PM, PandaPawPaw said:

I'll go see it if you pay for my ticket? What? You did say to take the advantage of the opportunity..................

Worth a try. :P

poor john travolta GIF

Yihetuan
3 hours ago, laagi said:

Those numbers seem totally off to be honest...

I meant domestic as in "our" box office -- the United States.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Karlos said:

To anyone who's seen the HK Blu-ray, what are the English subtitles like?

There's an ongoing debate whether or not they've been correctly translated. In terms of capturing the 1980's HK vibe or whatever you wanna call it. I watched a 4k Rip with said subs and they seemed perfectly fine to me. 

Also I'm not sure but I think the HK Blu Ray is missing english subs for the opening/end credits if I'm not mistaken. Maybe someone else can confirm. Which has some basic information about HK at the time and the Walled City. 

Edited by laagi
  • Like 1

looks like lots of wirework.Bruce Lee would turn in his grave.I will stick with Enter the Dragon & Enter the fat dragon.

Drunken Monk
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, JJBINKS said:

Bruce Lee would turn in his grave.

A bit dramatic, don't you think? Besides, it's a good job Bruce Lee wasn't the be all, end all of kung fu cinema.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

A bit dramatic, don't you think? Besides, it's a good job Bruce Lee wasn't the be all, end all of kung fu cinema.

It's a diff style.I suppose but  i was watching Bruce lee at golden harvest box set & bruce  on game of death wanted to show real martial arts, no tricks or gimmicks & this seems to lean more that way.

Drunken Monk
3 minutes ago, JJBINKS said:

It's a diff style.I suppose but  i was watching Bruce lee at golden harvest box set & bruce  on game of death wanted to show real martial arts, no tricks or gimmicks & this seems to lean more that way.

Yes, but Bruce Lee didn't dictate martial arts cinema. There's room for what Bruce wanted and there's room for wire-work. It doesn't need to be one or the other. I'm a huge fan of Bruce's work, but I also love this film.

I respect your opinion - oviously you wouldn't enjoy this film. But saying Bruce Lee would roll in his grave is a little excessive as it implies those that do love this stuff are somehow disrespecting Bruce's legacy/wishes.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

50 minutes ago, JJBINKS said:

looks like lots of wirework.Bruce Lee would turn in his grave.I will stick with Enter the Dragon & Enter the fat dragon.

I don't really get the Bruce Lee comparison here to be honest. Nevertheless I'm also not a fan of Wire-Fu but found myself rather enjoying this one. Might be worth a shot ;)

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, laagi said:

I don't really get the Bruce Lee comparison here to be honest. Nevertheless I'm also not a fan of Wire-Fu but found myself rather enjoying this one. Might be worth a shot ;)

I just get so disheartened when in every fight scene there's dodgy moves.In wellgousa trailer  a guy runs across 3 peoples chest.It's impossible & it wouldn't do any damage .One guy does  a slowmo back  flip & catches a  cigarette .Bruce Lee would just let the  cigarette fall to the floor.Another guy  catches & breaks a Samurai sword's blade  with his teeth, 

Bruce Lee wouldn't b able 2 stop spinning in his grave.

Edited by JJBINKS
spelling mistakes

37 minutes ago, JJBINKS said:

I just get so disheartened when in every fight scene there's dodgy moves.In wellgousa trailer  a guy runs across 3 peoples chest.It's impossible & it wouldn't do any damage .One guy does  a slowmo back  flip & catches a  cigarette .Bruce Lee would just let the  cigarette fall to the floor.Another guy  catches & breaks a Samurai sword's blade  with his teeth, 

Bruce Lee wouldn't b able 2 stop spinning in his grave.

I honestly have no problem with over-the-top MA in a movie as long as it's entertaining. Clearly from everything you stated so far THIS is definitely not for you!

I'm still not sure why exactly you'd bring up Bruce Lee in regards to this movie but I guess to each their own. Peace.

• Like 1