Angry Young Man (Hwang Jang Lee) 1983?

Majin Android

Question

Majin Android

Can anyone tell me about the production of Angry Young Man? What year was this shot? What year was it released in what countries? Please?

Both of hkcinemagic and hkmdb say it's from 1983 and I am having a hard time believing that.

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

TheKungFuRobber

HKMDB is right. Why wouldn't it be?

If it's because the production values look poor for the time, you maybe are quite young yes? That's Taiwanese cinema for you though. Up until the 1990's they were shooting films with monaural soundtracks in run down locations. Why? Because it's a poor country and most of these movies cost only a few grand at most to make.

Edited by TheKungFuRobber
  • Like 3

Majin Android
12 hours ago, TheKungFuRobber said:

HKMDB is right. Why wouldn't it be?

If it's because the production values look poor for the time, you maybe are quite young yes? That's Taiwanese cinema for you though. Up until the 1990's they were shooting films with monaural soundtracks in run down locations. Why? Because it's a poor country and most of these movies cost only a few grand at most to make.

that's a bit of speculation on your part but thanks for the non answer I guess?

Edited by Majin Android
  • Like 2

Well, the date of 1983 has been on the HKMDB ever since I reviewed the film back in 2012 for my old site.

I would say that the date is suspicious only because the non-Hwang fights have the feel of early 1970s basher movies.

@Cognoscente - Do you have any magazine info on this film?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DrNgor said:

@Cognoscente - Do you have any magazine info on this film?

I've not heard of it before but I did a Chinese Google search and learned that the movie was released in Taiwan on January 23, 1981.

https://movie.douban.com/subject/5099171/

This will give me something to work with when scouring eBay and WorthPoint for magazine shots.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor

Although HKMDB is really unreliable these days, pinning down Taiwanese release dates was always difficult, so often they were just guess work.

That said, release dates don't always reflect a film's vintage or up-to-dateness. Fearless Hyena II and Project A were released in the same year, yet seem decades apart.

• Like 4

TheKungFuRobber
On 12/1/2021 at 6:20 AM, Killer Meteor said:

Although HKMDB is really unreliable these days, pinning down Taiwanese release dates was always difficult, so often they were just guess work.

That said, release dates don't always reflect a film's vintage or up-to-dateness. Fearless Hyena II and Project A were released in the same year, yet seem decades apart.

Aye it kind of sucks sometimes. Gets the nationality of films wrong too and even directors. Example being Shaolim the Blood Mission which was a coprod that Vincent Leung Wing Chan and Kim See Hyong co directed. I've got both the Chinese version and the Korean version of it and much like Hitman in the Hand of Buddha both cuts of it are different. Chinese cut has different takes in scenes and editing of fights is a wee bit different. Not sure which version is more original that I should get translated but I have both, I think the editing of the Chinese version is a lot more polished. I responded in a shite argumentative mood so sorry about that.

• Like 3