The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

VS releasing MIAMI CONNECTION 4K UHD limited edition slipcover variant.

Details

Note: this is a brand new limited edition variant slipcover of a 4K UHD/Blu-ray originally released in 2022. It is not included in any subscription, nor will a subscriber coupon be issued. In addition, the "slip-only" version will only be available during the Totally Rad! Labor Day Sale.

This special limited edition spot gloss slipcover (designed by Steak Mtn) is limited to 2,000 units and is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. The limited edition sideloading slipcase was limited to 10,000 units and is sold out.

Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 04-23-02 Miami Connection.png

Contains one of the Best dialogue scenes ever recorded.

• Haha 2

Yihetuan
1 hour ago, sifu iron perm said:

Also soundtrack. 😆

• Haha 1

Super Ninja
6 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

VS releasing MIAMI CONNECTION 4K UHD limited edition slipcover variant.

Details

Note: this is a brand new limited edition variant slipcover of a 4K UHD/Blu-ray originally released in 2022. It is not included in any subscription, nor will a subscriber coupon be issued. In addition, the "slip-only" version will only be available during the Totally Rad! Labor Day Sale.

This special limited edition spot gloss slipcover (designed by Steak Mtn) is limited to 2,000 units and is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. The limited edition sideloading slipcase was limited to 10,000 units and is sold out.

Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 04-23-02 Miami Connection.png

Same extras? 

I missed the previous release and have been regretting ever since, I defo wanna get this.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
8 minutes ago, Super Ninja said:

Same extras? 

I missed the previous release and have been regretting ever since, I defo wanna get this.

Yes the exact same extras.

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Pandaman
5 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

The cast deserved an Oscar for such good acting .

• Haha 1

saltysam
Posted (edited)

i just watched the VS of My Father Is A Hero. I might be imagining it as i no longer have the Eureka but i thought this looked a bit of an uptick in quality, not massive but an uptick nonetheless.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, saltysam said:

i just watched the VS of My Father Is A Hero. I might be imagining it as i no longer have the Eureka but i thought this looked a bit of an uptick in quality, not massive but an uptick nonetheless.

I ordered it yesterday, along with Love on Delivery.

This edition may also feature improved subtitles over the ones of the Eureka bluray.

Kani release on sale later today...

May be an image of 3 people and text

🌹Our edition of Patrick Tam’s MY HEART IS THAT ETERNAL ROSE is finally here 🌹
The idyllic, beach-side life of a retired Triad boss, his daughter Lap (Joey Wang) and her boyfriend Rick (Kenny Bee @bggkenny), shatters when a mob favour turns into a bloody shootout. Trading her freedom for her father’s, Lap becomes mistress to Godfather Shen, while Rick goes into exile. Years later, as Shen unknowingly hires Rick as a hitman, Lap sees her chance at escape, while doe-eyed Triad gofer (Tony Leung) completes the doomed quadrangle.

Directed by the foremost stylist of the Hong Kong New Wave (and a mentor to Wong Kar-Wai), MY HEART IS THAT ETERNAL ROSE is the apotheosis of Patrick Tam’s time within the strictures of the Hong Kong mainstream. Fulfilling commercial requirements while elevating formula with a lush sense of style, the film sings with the painterly cinematography of Christopher Doyle and David Chung as Tam’s dream-like direction bridges the distance between the bullet ballets of a John Woo and the festering darkness of a David Lynch. It is the blue jewel in the crown of the Hong Kong heroic bloodshed sub-genre, shining bright to this day.
Bonus Features:
🌹2K Restoration
🌹New Cantonese Audio Restoration (2024)
🌹Mandarin Dub
🌹Interview with John Sham by Arnaud Lanuque
🌹C.I.D. Season 1, Episode 3: "Two Teddy Girls"
🌹C.I.D. Season 1, Episode 14: "Dawn Noon Dusk Night"
🌹Underdogs Episode 13: "The Story of Ah Suen"
🌹Interview with actor Simon Yam on C.I.D.
🌹Booklet with new interview with Patrick Tam
🌹New artwork by Tom Estrera III
🌹New Limited Edition Slipcover by Kong Kee 江記
🌹Optional English Subtitles
Edited by bickle14
  • Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

So the HK action film teased is EYE FOR AN EYE (so they were right about Joey Wong's head being in the teaser shot!)

Fung is the daughter of an aging Triad boss attempting to turn his criminal enterprise into a more legitimate business. After her father is arrested by her cop boyfriend, Fung is left in charge and continues her father's mission of ridding the organization of its criminal dealings. Meanwhile, some of the other members of the gang are not happy with Fung's leadership and plan a hostile takeover. Cheong, the second in command, wants to maintain the group's violent reign and sets out to strip Fung of her power by viciously assaulting and blackmailing her. Fung's boyfriend vows to take revenge on Cheong and the organization while simultaneously dealing with his jealous partner, who also has eyes for Fung. Tensions soon boil over, and violence erupts in the streets as warring factions attempt to maintain their power.

Heavily censored in Hong Kong upon its initial release, AN EYE FOR AN EYE received a Category III rating, partly thanks to its controversial portrayal of Triad traditions and graphic outbursts of violence. Newly restored from a director-approved studio-supplied master, Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present the director's cut of this gangster opus for the first time on Blu-ray, featuring all its bloodshed intact and culminating in an epic knife fight that literally leaves blood flowing in the streets.

directed by: O Sing Pui
starring: Joey Wang, John Ching, Ricky Wong Chun-Tong, Hiu-Hung Fong, Chi Shing Fung, Wilson Lam, Melvin Wong
1990 / 93 min / 1.85:1 / Cantonese Mono

Additional info:

• Region Free Blu-ray
  • Newly restored by VS from a studio-supplied master
  • Brand new commentary track with Kenneth Brorsson and Phil Gillon of the Podcast on Fire Network
  • Brand new interview with director O Sing Pui
  • Brand new interview with action director Benz Kong
  • "Hong Kong Cinema in the Late ‘80s: Between Heroic Bloodshed and CAT-III Thrillers" - a brand new video essay by film historian and author Samm Deighan
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • Newly translated English subtitles

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 09-03-13 An Eye For An Eye.png

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4

Film Movement is releasing a two set by Kinji Fukasaku titled FEROCIOUS FUKASAKU: Two Films By Kinji Fukasaku

This thrilling two-disc set features a double dose of hyperbolic heist movie mayhem directed by the great Kinji Fukasaku (Battles Without Honor and Humanity, Battle Royale), restored to HD, and, for the first time ever, available on Blu Ray in North America. 

Fukasaku's 1964 breakthrough Wolves, Pigs and Men finds three brothers pitted against each other as rivals in the Yakuza underworld. Jiro, alongside his girlfriend Mizuhara, devises a scheme to rob his younger brother Sabu's gang. However, when the eldest brother Kuroki learns of this, he seeks to conspire against them to take it all for himself in a treacherous nightmare of unbridled violence.

While lesser known, 1976’s Violent Panic: The Big Crash wreaks havoc across the streets of Japan with stylishly nihilistic aplomb. After expert bank-robber Takashi's big job is foiled, he goes on the lam. Trailed by the police, his lover, his partner-in-crime’s brother, and countless others, Takashi becomes the target of a manhunt filled with twists, double-crosses, and explosive action that gives the 70’s car chase genre a run for its money.

directed by: Kinji Fukasaku
starring:
Tsunehiko Watase, Miki Sugimoto, Yayoi Watanabe, Ken Takakura, Rentarô Mikuni, Kin'ya Kitaôji
1964, 1976 / 174 min (combined) / 2.39:1 / Japanese DTS-HD MA 5.1, 2.0

Additional info:

• Region A 2-disc Blu-ray
  • 16 page booklet with New essay by film critic Kenji Fujishima
  • Wolves, Pigs and Men:
    • Audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Jasper Sharp
    • Interview with Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
    • Interview with co-screenwriter Junya Sato
    • Interview with Producer Tatsu Yoshida
  • Violent Panic: The Big Crash:
    • Fast, Furious, Fukasaku video essay by Tokyoscope author Patrick Macias
  • English subtitles

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 09-07-40 Ferocious Fukasaku Two Films By Kinji Fukasaku.png

• Like 4

lastninja

Beautiful Cover on "An Eye For An Eye".

Wish "My Heart Is That Eternal Rose" was in a similar style. I don't like the abstract drawings at all.

55 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

So the HK action film teased is EYE FOR AN EYE (so they were right about Joey Wong's head being in the teaser shot!)

Fung is the daughter of an aging Triad boss attempting to turn his criminal enterprise into a more legitimate business. After her father is arrested by her cop boyfriend, Fung is left in charge and continues her father's mission of ridding the organization of its criminal dealings. Meanwhile, some of the other members of the gang are not happy with Fung's leadership and plan a hostile takeover. Cheong, the second in command, wants to maintain the group's violent reign and sets out to strip Fung of her power by viciously assaulting and blackmailing her. Fung's boyfriend vows to take revenge on Cheong and the organization while simultaneously dealing with his jealous partner, who also has eyes for Fung. Tensions soon boil over, and violence erupts in the streets as warring factions attempt to maintain their power.

Heavily censored in Hong Kong upon its initial release, AN EYE FOR AN EYE received a Category III rating, partly thanks to its controversial portrayal of Triad traditions and graphic outbursts of violence. Newly restored from a director-approved studio-supplied master, Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present the director's cut of this gangster opus for the first time on Blu-ray, featuring all its bloodshed intact and culminating in an epic knife fight that literally leaves blood flowing in the streets.

starring: Joey Wang, John Ching, Ricky Wong Chun-Tong, Hiu-Hung Fong, Chi Shing Fung, Wilson Lam, Melvin Wong

Additional info:

• Region Free Blu-ray
  • Brand new commentary track with Kenneth Brorsson and Phil Gillon of the Podcast on Fire Network
  • "Hong Kong Cinema in the Late ‘80s: Between Heroic Bloodshed and CAT-III Thrillers" - a brand new video essay by film historian and author Samm Deighan

Me and Phil Gillon did the audio commentary on this. Hope some of you get to hear it. We're very nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Additional info:

• Region Free Blu-ray

The story seems conventional but the heavy censorship it went through makes it intriguing. I'm getting it!

• Like 1

Chemical Lemon
4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

Film Movement is releasing a two set by Kinji Fukasaku titled FEROCIOUS FUKASAKU: Two Films By Kinji Fukasaku

This thrilling two-disc set features a double dose of hyperbolic heist movie mayhem directed by the great Kinji Fukasaku (Battles Without Honor and Humanity, Battle Royale), restored to HD, and, for the first time ever, available on Blu Ray in North America. 

Fukasaku's 1964 breakthrough Wolves, Pigs and Men finds three brothers pitted against each other as rivals in the Yakuza underworld. Jiro, alongside his girlfriend Mizuhara, devises a scheme to rob his younger brother Sabu's gang. However, when the eldest brother Kuroki learns of this, he seeks to conspire against them to take it all for himself in a treacherous nightmare of unbridled violence.

While lesser known, 1976’s Violent Panic: The Big Crash wreaks havoc across the streets of Japan with stylishly nihilistic aplomb. After expert bank-robber Takashi's big job is foiled, he goes on the lam. Trailed by the police, his lover, his partner-in-crime’s brother, and countless others, Takashi becomes the target of a manhunt filled with twists, double-crosses, and explosive action that gives the 70’s car chase genre a run for its money.

directed by: Kinji Fukasaku
starring:
Tsunehiko Watase, Miki Sugimoto, Yayoi Watanabe, Ken Takakura, Rentarô Mikuni, Kin'ya Kitaôji
1964, 1976 / 174 min (combined) / 2.39:1 / Japanese DTS-HD MA 5.1, 2.0

Additional info:

• Region A 2-disc Blu-ray
  • 16 page booklet with New essay by film critic Kenji Fujishima
  • Wolves, Pigs and Men:
    • Interview with Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
    • Interview with co-screenwriter Junya Sato
    • Interview with Producer Tatsu Yoshida
  • Violent Panic: The Big Crash:
    • Fast, Furious, Fukasaku video essay by Tokyoscope author Patrick Macias
  • English subtitles

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 09-07-40 Ferocious Fukasaku Two Films By Kinji Fukasaku.png

Ugh gotta pass on this.  Too much double dipping going on the last few years. I’ve never seen violent panic but hopefully it will get released individually in the UK or sometime in the future by film movement

• Buddha Bless You 1

venom10463

Darn it! I just picked up Wolves, Pigs, and Men from Eureka. I hope Violent Panic gets an individual release as well.

Edited by venom10463
  • Buddha Bless You 1

ChillyChong

Pity Vinegar took Joysales Legendary Collection route with plot synopsis and spoils far too much. Will get Eye for an eye and Chinese Torture then as need some case protectors too. Otherwise probably would wait for more titles to combine with 20$ international shipping fee. Shame Eternal Rose is region A but I suppose there is good chance Eureka! releases it eventually.

An eye for an eye cover is superb.

23 hours ago, DiP said:

The story seems conventional but the heavy censorship it went through makes it intriguing. I'm getting it!

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=500945

Appears it's mostly Triad ritual stuff with the occasional machete stabbing and lingering squib shots.

18 hours ago, venom10463 said:

Darn it! I just picked up Wolves, Pigs, and Men from Eureka. I hope Violent Panic gets an individual release as well.

I feel the same way about it. Also I held off from picking up VS's release of Lee Chang-dong box set because I read it had issues with Green Fish (the one film missing from the Umbrella set). They apparently used an older HD transfer and not the newest 4K restoration for the Japanese release one.

This would be awesome news if it wasn't just some administrative error but an honest mistake. Fingers crossed! :BL-Please:

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 12-36-11 Dylan Cheung (@Futurhythm) _ X.png

Edited by Yihetuan

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=500945

Appears it's mostly Triad ritual stuff with the occasional machete stabbing and lingering squib shots.

I feel the same way about it. Also I held off from picking up VS's release of Lee Chang-dong box set because I read it had issues with Green Fish (the one film missing from the Umbrella set). They apparently used an older HD transfer and not the newest 4K restoration for the Japanese release one.

Adds up to 4 minutes of uncut scenes for Eye For An Eye, and in terms of the extra violence it's really quite something. It's clear to me the censors did not like the slow motion squib shots and stabbings and how haunting some of those moments are.  God knows if they would've let the violence in its entirety alone even if the makers accepted a Joey Wong-Max Mok triad picture could go out as III.

• Like 2

Niklaus Vogel
On 9/1/2024 at 9:07 AM, Yihetuan said:

Here's the cover art for My Heart is an Eternal Rose

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 09-06-03 My Heart Is That Eternal Rose.png

No commentary for this brilliant film is a HUGE letdown.  Frank Djeng is doing one for Patrick Tam's THE SWORD on Eureka. 

• Sad 1

On 9/2/2024 at 12:37 PM, Yihetuan said:

This would be awesome news if it wasn't just some administrative error but an honest mistake. Fingers crossed! :BL-Please:

Screenshot 2024-09-02 at 12-36-11 Dylan Cheung (@Futurhythm) _ X.png

Mentioned about Nomad possibly coming to Blu ray & looks like the French label Carlotta is putting it out. Hopefully an English boutique labels is next! 🙏

Screenshot_20240906-075435.png