The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

Yihetuan
14 minutes ago, Knetan said:

Elsewhere I've hinted at that we've been working with a new label (for us), and have done two commentaries so far. That label is Vinegar Syndrome. That's as much as I can say but I have no insight into what upcoming announcement will contain. They usually drop announcements and discs are ready to be shipped shortly thereafter, right?

You know Pearl Lee over at Kani has close ties to VS & she did help translate Angel Terminators 2

Screenshot_20240730-122215.png

• Like 1

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

You know Pearl Lee over at Kani has close ties to VS & she did help translate Angel Terminators 2

Mad mad 83 as  Shaws' never released in any other format than the ZiiEagle, that is great news! This is a very funny movie, I enjoyed it a lot!

Yihetuan
18 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Mad mad 83 as  Shaws' never released in any other format than the ZiiEagle, that is great news! This is a very funny movie, I enjoyed it a lot!

Somehow I knew you would pick up on that. :evilgrin

• Haha 1

bickle14
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I've seen some interesting guesses but Angel Terminators/Angel Terminators II seems like a really good one. A double-feature, English language debut (with Spectrum releasing them with no English). That's dead on.

Would love these... I don't think it has the star power though.

What else has been rumored? I've seen Lee Rock 1 & 2 mentioned.

Edited by bickle14

Yihetuan
On 7/30/2024 at 12:00 PM, Yihetuan said:

I'm also hoping for another one as the Celestial IVL DVD has the usual framecuts & also is censored compared to the Mei Ah LD.

ha! I was right as that one guy had the clues all along with the original Cantonese titles.

Details

Subscribers: This is NOT included in your Subscription. If you'd like to purchase it, you will need to login to view your special 50% off SRP pricing.

LOVE ON DELIVERY is part of our Vinegar Syndrome Archive collection, celebrating forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick & mortar video stores, with locations in Bridgeport, CT; Aurora, CO and Toronto, ON!

Unique to this line, each hand numbered limited edition release will come fitted in a specially designed, bottom loading VHS inspired slipcase, while also including a double-sided poster.

These releases will ONLY be available on our website and at participating indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. This slipcase edition (designed by Adam Juresko) is strictly limited to 4,000 units and may (but probably not) be followed by a standard edition in the future.

---

Ho Kam Ngan, a lowly food delivery boy, falls madly in love with a beautiful woman named Lily. The only problem is, a brutish Judo instructor named Black Bear (who also has eyes for Lily) embarrasses Ngan in front of her by making him look like a coward. Vowing to win over Lily's affection, Ngan begins learning martial arts from a supposed kung-fu master who is secretly just scamming Ngan out of his money. To make matters worse, Lily's old boyfriend returns and challenges Ngan to a martial arts tournament to prove who is the better man. Believing he is actually learning real kung-fu, Ngan accepts the fight and now must defend his honor to prove he is worthy of Lily's love.

Starring beloved Hong Kong comedy actor Stephen Chow (Kung-Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer) and directed by frequent collaborator Lik-Chi Lee, LOVE ON DELIVERY is an over-the-top martial arts comedy that pays tribute to the classic underdog story. Offering up off-the-wall fight scenes and numerous pop culture references, LOVE ON DELIVERY is an excellent example of the future talent we would see in Chow's later films. Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present this zany fisticuffs Hong Kong comedy on Blu-ray for the first time in the U.S., scanned in 2K and newly restored from the original camera negative.

directed by: Lik-Chi Lee
starring: Stephen Chow, Christy Chung, Man-Tat Ng, Joe Cheng
1994 / 100 min / 1.85:1 / Cantonese Mono

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Commentary track with martial arts film historian Frank Djeng & film producer F.J. DeSanto
  • "A Day on the Gold Coast with Lik-Chi Lee" (20 min) - a new interview with director Lik-Chi Lee
  • "Hong Kong's Greatest Comedian" (20 min) - a video essay by film historian and author Grady Hendrix
  • "The Collaborations of Stephen Chow & Lik-Chi Lee" (15 min) - a video essay by author & podcaster Mike White
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • Newly translated English subtitles

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 09-02-49 Love on Delivery.png

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Yihetuan

Details

Subscribers: This is NOT included in your Subscription. If you'd like to purchase it, you will need to login to view your special 50% off SRP pricing.

MY FATHER IS A HERO is part of our Vinegar Syndrome Archive collection, celebrating forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick & mortar video stores, with locations in Bridgeport, CT; Aurora, CO and Toronto, ON!

Unique to this line, each hand numbered limited edition release will come fitted in a specially designed, bottom loading VHS inspired slipcase, while also including a double-sided poster.

These releases will ONLY be available on our website and at participating indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. This slipcase edition (designed by Poochamin) is strictly limited to 4,000 units and may (but probably not) be followed by a standard edition in the future.

---

Gong Wei is an undercover cop living in mainland China. He is so deep undercover that his own wife and son don't even know he's a cop. After a mid-level gangster nicknamed Blackie is arrested, Wei is ordered by his superiors to help Blackie escape back to Hong Kong in an attempt to gain his trust and infiltrate his gang. When an arms deal goes wrong, Wei attracts the attention of a female Hong Kong detective named Anne Fong who begins investigating him. Things become more complicated for Wei when his own son soon ends up in danger and Wei has no choice but to team up with Anne in order to save his son and stop the gangsters from pulling off a deadly heist.  

Released in America under the alternate title The Enforcer, MY FATHER IS A HERO teams up international martial arts superstar Jet Li (Once Upon a Time in China, Lethal Weapon 4) with renowned action director Corey Yuen (Righting Wrongs, The Transporter). Showcasing the lightning fast fight scenes and gravity-defying stunt work that Jet Li has become known for, MY FATHER IS A HERO also has an emotional storyline thanks in part to the performances by Anita Mui (Rumble in the Bronx) and child actor Tse Miu (Ip Man: The Awakening), who also has some impressive fight scenes of his own. Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present this thrill-a-minute martial arts actioner on Blu-ray for the first time in America, newly restored from a studio-supplied 4K master, and featuring an insane fight where Jet Li's character uses his own son as a human weapon!

directed by: Corey Yuen
starring: Jet Li, Anita Mui, Tse Miu, Rongguang Yu, Collin Chou, Ken Lo
1995 / 104 min / 1.85:1 / Cantonese & English 2.0 Stereo

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly restored by VS from a studio-supplied 4K master
  • Presented in its original Cantonese 2.0 stereo soundtrack along with the 'classic' English dub soundtrack
  • Commentary track with martial arts film historian Frank Djeng
  • "Interview with Wong Jing" (3 min) - a brand new interview with producer Wong Jing
  • "Crowd Pleaser" (18 min) - an archival interview with producer Wong Jing
  • "Like Father, Like Son" (16 min) - an archival interview with actor Tse Miu
  • "Born to be Bad" (20 min) - an archival interview with actor Ken Lo
  • Deleted scene
  • Image Gallery
  • Original Hong Kong Trailer
  • Newly translated English subtitles (English SDH for the English dub)

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 09-03-48 My Father is a Hero (aka The Enforcer).png

• Like 5

lastninja
On 7/30/2024 at 9:00 PM, Yihetuan said:

I'm also hoping for another one as the Celestial IVL DVD has the usual framecuts & also is censored compared to the Mei Ah LD.

Are the censored scenes from the IVL DVD fully restored on this new Blu-ray?

Yihetuan
2 hours ago, lastninja said:

Are the censored scenes from the IVL DVD fully restored on this new Blu-ray?

No idea? I never bought any of the newer blu ray releases of this film from Vicol/Nova Media, so don't know how those blu rays handled the 'erotic book' commentary. I only have the censored IVL dvd.

Btw, VS's partner label Film Movement is finally putting out that Lee Chang-dong boxset with Green Fish which was missing from the Umbrella release.

This special limited edition 4-disc Blu-ray set comes with a spot gloss hard slipcase + slipcover combo (designed by Adam Maida), includes a 40-page perfect bound book and is limited to 2,000 units. It is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.

Founded in 2002 as one of the first-ever subscription film services with its DVD-of-the-Month Film Club, Film Movement is now a North American distributor of award-winning independent and foreign films based in New York City. In 2015, Film Movement launched the reissue label Film Movement Classics featuring new restorations released theatrically as well as on home video, with an emphasis on films by auteur directors such as Eric Rohmer, Peter Greenaway and Takeshi Kitano.

Filmmaker, playwright and novelist Lee Chang-dong is one of South Korea’s most celebrated artists as well as one of its harshest critics. Newly restored in 4K, this collection of four of his early works reveals the poetic origins of a cinematic career that is uniquely “marked by a fascination with pain and longing” (IndieWire).

In his directorial debut, GREEN FISH (1997), Lee uses the conventions of film noir to explore the story of a young man who becomes ensnared in a dangerous love triangle with the girlfriend of his employer, a local mob boss. Opening on a shocking scene of implied suicide, Lee’s sophomore feature PEPPERMINT CANDY (1999) proceeds to move backward in time, revealing the unhappiness of its protagonist in reverse chronology. In OASIS (2002), two societal outcasts become unlikely soulmates when an irresponsible ex-con befriends a woman with severe cerebral palsy. Following a matriarch who finds her capacity as a caregiver threatened by Alzheimer’s disease, POETRY (2010) features a Cannes award-winning screenplay by Lee and an achingly vulnernable performance by legendary actress Yun Jung-hee in a role he specifically penned for her.

directed by: Lee Chang Dong
starring: Yun Junghee, Lee David, Kim Hira, Sol Kyung-gu, Moon So-ri, Han Suk-kyu, Shim Hye-jin, Moon Sung-Keun, Yu-Kyeong Cha, Song Kang-ho
1997-2010 / 514 min (combined) / 1.85:1 / Korean DTS-HD MA 2.0, 5.1

Additional info:

• Region A 4-Disc Blu-ray
  • English subtitles

OASIS

• Lee Chang Dong Intro
  • Making of
  • Cast and crew interviews
  • Oasis preview screening
  • Oasis trailer

PEPPERMINT CANDY

• Lee Chang Dong Intro
  • Making of
  • Auditions
  • Outtakes
  • Peppermint Candy trailer

POETRY

• Lee Chang Dong Intro
  • Making of
  • Actor Ahn Nae-sang Interview
  • Poetry trailer

GREEN FISH

• Lee Chang Dong Intro
  • James Marsh & Pierce Conran Commentary
  • Making of
  • Production Announcement
  • Green Fish trailer

GT6VNLhXAAAWP-f.png

GT6VPdYb0AI1HPY.jpg

• Like 5

lastninja

I'm currently torn about whether I should get this version of "My Father Is A Hero" as I generally prefer individual releases over collective editions (Eureka). What are the advantages or disadvantages of the Vinegar Syndrome release, apart from the cover being dedicated to the film itself?

Niklaus Vogel
On 7/30/2024 at 12:24 PM, Yihetuan said:

Her translation for EBOLA SYNDROME was absolutely horrible though.  She didn't get the nuances of the foul language at all.  The translation on the 88 FILMS version was much much better.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Niklaus Vogel
18 minutes ago, lastninja said:

I'm currently torn about whether I should get this version of "My Father Is A Hero" as I generally prefer individual releases over collective editions (Eureka). What are the advantages or disadvantages of the Vinegar Syndrome release, apart from the cover being dedicated to the film itself?

The advantage will surely be Frank Djeng's commentary.  I have the Eureka set and Frank only did the commentary for DR.WAI.  HITMAN and MY FATHER IS A HERO were done by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema and apart from their usual tendencies to talk over each other all the time (which I absolutely cannot stand), their consistent urge to try to be funny by cracking jokes throughout the track really didn't jive well with the seriousness of the film at all. 

• Like 2

Not a case of Frank doing double duty on one film then, by recording it once for a UK label and once for a US label. That will drive customers towards this release then.

Sounds like a bit of a manic, stressful track the one you're describing. I'm an old man. I need peace, quiet, calm and measured pace. Even on my commentaries :rofl

• Like 2

Pandaman

I hope Vinegar one day is able get the rights to this rare Rothrock / Norton flick

MV5BMTFkNzA5YWEtYmQ0ZC00MDY5LWJjZjgtOWUzMjZiMDcyNTAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE2MzI5ODM@._V1_.jpg

• Like 3

Pandaman
8 hours ago, bickle14 said:

And the sequel.

Well, I'd figure they would add that too as well 🙏

• Like 1

ChillyChong
Posted (edited)

I don`t have Chinese Torture etc yet but did read in extras lot references to Naked Kiler...It does not have to mean vinegar is planning to release it. But I hope it does!

Edited by ChillyChong

Drunken Monk

This might be wishful thinking but that looks like the top of Yukari Oshima's head.

lastninja
3 hours ago, bickle14 said:

Looks like a martial arts film with this staff-like weapon.

lastninja
1 minute ago, Drunken Monk said:

This might be wishful thinking but that looks like the top of Yukari Oshima's head.

Oh yes. Maybe we get "Final Run"? :smile

Yihetuan
9 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Funny, someone else mentioned it was the top of Joey Wong's head. :laugh

Drunken Monk
9 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Funny, someone else mentioned it was the top of Joey Wong's head. :laugh

Haha! Watch us both be wrong and it's Chin Yuet-Sang's or something.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2024 at 6:03 PM, Yihetuan said:

ha! I was right as that one guy had the clues all along with the original Cantonese titles.

Details

LOVE ON DELIVERY is part of our Vinegar Syndrome Archive collection, celebrating forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick & mortar video stores, with locations in Bridgeport, CT; Aurora, CO and Toronto, ON!

These releases will ONLY be available on our website and at participating indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. This slipcase edition (designed by Adam Juresko) is strictly limited to 4,000 units and may (but probably not) be followed by a standard edition in the future.

---

Ho Kam Ngan, a lowly food delivery boy, falls madly in love with a beautiful woman named Lily. The only problem is, a brutish Judo instructor named Black Bear (who also has eyes for Lily) embarrasses Ngan in front of her by making him look like a coward. Vowing to win over Lily's affection, Ngan begins learning martial arts from a supposed kung-fu master who is secretly just scamming Ngan out of his money. To make matters worse, Lily's old boyfriend returns and challenges Ngan to a martial arts tournament to prove who is the better man. Believing he is actually learning real kung-fu, Ngan accepts the fight and now must defend his honor to prove he is worthy of Lily's love.

Starring beloved Hong Kong comedy actor Stephen Chow (Kung-Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer) and directed by frequent collaborator Lik-Chi Lee, LOVE ON DELIVERY is an over-the-top martial arts comedy that pays tribute to the classic underdog story. Offering up off-the-wall fight scenes and numerous pop culture references, LOVE ON DELIVERY is an excellent example of the future talent we would see in Chow's later films. Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present this zany fisticuffs Hong Kong comedy on Blu-ray for the first time in the U.S., scanned in 2K and newly restored from the original camera negative.

directed by: Lik-Chi Lee
starring: Stephen Chow, Christy Chung, Man-Tat Ng, Joe Cheng
1994 / 100 min / 1.85:1 / Cantonese Mono

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Commentary track with martial arts film historian Frank Djeng & film producer F.J. DeSanto
  • "A Day on the Gold Coast with Lik-Chi Lee" (20 min) - a new interview with director Lik-Chi Lee
  • "Hong Kong's Greatest Comedian" (20 min) - a video essay by film historian and author Grady Hendrix
  • "The Collaborations of Stephen Chow & Lik-Chi Lee" (15 min) - a video essay by author & podcaster Mike White
  • Newly translated English subtitles

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 09-02-49 Love on Delivery.png

I have a feeling either Eureka or 88 Films will pick this one up. But as it's one of my favorite Stephen Chow movies, I couldn't wait so I ordered it.

Yihetuan

VS releasing MIAMI CONNECTION 4K UHD limited edition slipcover variant.

Details

Note: this is a brand new limited edition variant slipcover of a 4K UHD/Blu-ray originally released in 2022. It is not included in any subscription, nor will a subscriber coupon be issued. In addition, the "slip-only" version will only be available during the Totally Rad! Labor Day Sale.

This special limited edition spot gloss slipcover (designed by Steak Mtn) is limited to 2,000 units and is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. The limited edition sideloading slipcase was limited to 10,000 units and is sold out.

Screenshot 2024-08-30 at 04-23-02 Miami Connection.png

• Like 1