The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

Yihetuan
On 6/2/2024 at 12:56 AM, De Ming Li said:

Slipcover for Beijing Watermelon also sold out

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 18-47-52 Home _ X.png

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)

Appears Hero Shed No Tears is coming to FM+ streaming site but apparently the same scan as the 88 release. If this does get released on blu ray again, it'll just be a fancy slipcover design.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 19-04-09 Home _ X.png

Edited by Yihetuan

Knetan

Subconciously I might be aping someone else's quote.

Stewart's quote about HARD BOILED however was: "It's like if Die Hard f*cked Backdraft."

• Haha 1

Yihetuan
39 minutes ago, Knetan said:

Subconciously I might be aping someone else's quote.

Stewart's quote about HARD BOILED however was: "It's like if Die Hard f*cked Backdraft."

Close enuff :tongueout

lilmanjs

Watching China O'Brien from the set and wondering how the encodes on the Eureka set compare. This is hitting 90mbps and higher on video most of the time. I think they did right by deciding to make it 1 disc for each movie in both formats.

Katakuri

Can’t wait for Corpse Mania in October. I wonder if 88/Eureka are planning their own release for the UK?

nahnahnah

Kani next release will be Patrick Tam's My Heart Is That Eternal Rose.

• Like 2

Chu Liu Hsiang
22 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

ooh I love this movie, looking forward to replace MeiAh DVD

• Like 2

lastninja
On 7/24/2024 at 5:40 PM, nahnahnah said:

Where did you get this info? Couldn't find it on Vinegar Syndrome nor on Kani's own website.

nahnahnah
1 hour ago, lastninja said:

Where did you get this info? Couldn't find it on Vinegar Syndrome nor on Kani's own website.

It was whispered to my ears from the angels.....

Just joking, it was posted on Kani's Instagram page

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lastninja
16 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

It was whispered to my ears from the angels.....

Just joking, it was posted on Kani's Instagram page

But on Insta it only says that the release will be via the Criterion Channel, as far as I can see. Is there always a release on Blu-ray afterwards?

Posted (edited)

As for Criterion Channel films getting disc releases automatically: No. Films often have a limited licence for streaming or a long licence, but for streaming only. Remember seeing Hanzo The Razor on the channel and was hoping a trilogy box set would come out on Criterion but no.

Edited by Knetan
  • Like 1

nahnahnah
1 hour ago, lastninja said:

But on Insta it only says that the release will be via the Criterion Channel, as far as I can see. Is there always a release on Blu-ray afterwards?

you have to go to their latest post where they are showing the spines of their upcoming 4 releases

• Like 2

lilmanjs
16 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

you have to go to their latest post where they are showing the spines of their upcoming 4 releases

Ohh, very exciting that they show a portion of the spine for that with a portion of the title in it's iconic yellow font, yet don't show the titles for the rest. I will gladly buy this on blu ray whenever they officially announce it for pre-order.

ChillyChong

It is good movie with not that much action but story is strong and if region free will get Kani disc. Was surprised to find out it is actually Anita Mui in nightclub scene singing, thought it was Joey Wong who also had (short) career in music industry.

nahnahnah
On 7/27/2024 at 4:27 AM, Knetan said:

As for Criterion Channel films getting disc releases automatically: No. Films often have a limited licence for streaming or a long licence, but for streaming only. Remember seeing Hanzo The Razor on the channel and was hoping a trilogy box set would come out on Criterion but no.

Hanzo isn't a good example since it opens with the Criterion and Janus logos, with signify that they have the theatrical and home video rights as well. However, they have a massive backlog of titles to release to update, so it's very easy for something like the Hanzo trilogy to fall to the side.

• Like 2

bickle14
Posted (edited)

They originally hinted at "sleazy Hong Kong Cat 3 film" for August but maybe that was changed to last month's release and this is something else.

Edited by bickle14

Yihetuan
5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Any guesses?

IMG_8454.jpeg

They highlight "English friendly debuts" so perhaps something that Spectrum has already released from their catalog.

• Like 1

Yihetuan

Rumors heating up now. I'll be really pleased if one of the titles announced is the one getting all the speculation at the moment.

Drunken Monk
19 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

Rumors heating up now. I'll be really pleased if one of the titles announced is the one getting all the speculation at the moment.

I've seen some interesting guesses but Angel Terminators/Angel Terminators II seems like a really good one. A double-feature, English language debut (with Spectrum releasing them with no English). That's dead on.

• Like 2

Yihetuan

I'm also hoping for another one as the Celestial IVL DVD has the usual framecuts & also is censored compared to the Mei Ah LD.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Elsewhere I've hinted at that we've been working with a new label (for us), and have done two commentaries so far. That label is Vinegar Syndrome. That's as much as I can say but I have no insight into what upcoming announcement will contain. They usually drop announcements and discs are ready to be shipped shortly thereafter, right?

• Like 2