The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

bickle14

I'm pretty sure Frank Djeng has indicated that 88 will be putting out the sequel. I'm not 100% sure though.

• Like 1

lastninja
Posted (edited)

In Germany there is even “Black Cat 3”. This is actually “Fox Hunter”. The picture is cropped on the german DVD.

There are quite a few films with Jade Leung that need a proper release. Together with "Fox Hunter", “Satin Steel” and “Velvet Gloves” are supposed to be really good. There are no really good releases of those movies, let alone HD.

Edited by lastninja
  • Like 1

The sequel to Black Cat is a much livelier affair. Remember to watch it in English as it was shot that way, in sync sound. 

• Like 3

bickle14
On 1/6/2024 at 3:43 PM, bickle14 said:

I'm pretty sure Frank Djeng has indicated that 88 will be putting out the sequel. I'm not 100% sure though.

He reconfirmed it:

"Ever since Vinegar Syndrome announced their Black Cat Double Feature set, I’ve been inundated with inquiries by UK fans as to whether 88 Films will release Black Cat 2.
With 88’s blessings, I can confirm that, yes, Black Cat 2 is coming this year and I will be helping out with the release. In fact, I actually gave a hint for it on my IG 2 months ago with the post below. Expect a commentary and a brand new interview with Jade…and hopefully someone else as well."
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

For those of you in the US, Vinegar Syndrome has just announced that they'll be releasing a 3-disc 4K UHD of China O'Brien. It'll be up for pre-order in March.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Only for US people?

VS ships internationally. So if you prefer this edition over the Eureka, you'll have no issues getting it dispatched to France. Of course, UHD discs are never region locked.

• Like 3

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I always order from them @ShawAngela and I'm just across the Channel.

But she doesn't have an All-Region player. That's why she asked.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

They don't mention which cut this is? Why not?

Judging by the runtime this is the same uncut theatrical version put out by Vicol. So all the KKK scenes that were cut from the DVD releases will be here intact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Judging by the runtime this is the same uncut theatrical version put out by Vicol. So all the KKK scenes that were cut from the DVD releases will be here intact.

A shame. I like that Special Edition cut too so I wish it would be included.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, ShawAngela said:

[. . .] in the Vinegar Syndrome release, there is a new interview with Cynthia Rothrock, while in the 88 release, from what I read on the back cover, there are exactly the same old interviews as in the Spectrum release.

At http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=59468 it says:

Blu-ray B France - Spectrum [2021 Release]    
Interviews (2021):
- critic Arnaud Lanuque (12:53, in French)
- actor Richard Norton (45:36, in English with French subtitles)
- actress Cynthia Rothrock (19:11, in English with French subtitles)

Blu-ray B United Kingdom - 88 Films [2023 Release]
"Fight Like a Girl" 2023 interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock (6:09)
"Fast as Lightning" 2023 interview with actor Richard Norton (18:39)

• Like 1

Yihetuan

As was expected since they did the restoration in conjunction with Pulse Video, Karate vs Mafia is up for pre-order.

Screenshot_20240301-115158.png

De Ming Li

What's the release date for A Man Called Hero and Man on the Brink? Vinegar Syndrome doesn't make their release dates clear.

Yihetuan
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

What's the release date for A Man Called Hero and Man on the Brink? Vinegar Syndrome doesn't make their release dates clear.

A Man Called Hero was released a few days ago but Man on the Brink is still 3 weeks out on the 26.

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 1

MobFu1972
5 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

Diabolikdvd.com has both available. 👍🥋🐲🙏‼️

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
On 3/1/2024 at 2:53 PM, Yihetuan said:

As was expected since they did the restoration in conjunction with Pulse Video, Karate vs Mafia is up for pre-order.

Screenshot_20240301-115158.png

I haven't heard of this one. Based on the title, description, and the name of the featurette it sounds like it might be along the lines of NEW YORK NINJA and MIAMI CONNECTION (and which is it; kung fu or karate? We must watch to find out :wink:).

FROM PARTNER LABEL PULSE VIDEO:

Karate Contra Mafia

Description: Lai Chao, a young sailor and expert in kung fu, inadvertently finds himself dragged into an international diamond smuggling scheme. With both the police and the local mafia don (along with his hooded henchmen) in hot pursuit, Lai Chao is forced to fight for his life as kung fu expert killers lurk around every corner!

Special Features and Techncial Specs:

• Featurette Nanaroscope "Kárate Contra Mafia: the Karate film that failed at everything"
  • Standing ovation for Ramón Saldías at 2016 Nanarland Night screening
  • Original trailer
  • French Karate: selection of French kung-fu film trailers scanned in 35mm
  • English & French subtitles
  • REGION-FREE
  • Like 1

bickle14

Now available: https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/china-obrien-1-2

This special limited edition 3-disc 4K UHD/Blu-ray set comes with a hard slipcase + slipcover combo (designed by Robert Sammelin), includes a 40-page perfect bound book and is limited to 8,000 units. It is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.

Additional info:

• 3-disc Set: 4K Ultra HD (UHD100) / Region A Blu-ray x2
  • 4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range
  • Newly scanned & restored in 4K from their 35mm original camera negatives
  • Brand new commentary tracks for each film by martial arts film experts Frank Djeng and John Charles
  • "Cynthia Rothrock is China O'Brien" (19 min) - a brand new interview with star Cynthia Rothrock
  • "A Worthwhile Journey: The Martial Artists of China O'Brien" (33 min) - a brand new featurette with actors Richard Norton, Keith Cooke and Chris Casamassa
  • "Melanie Good is Stripper Assassin" (11 min) - a brand new interview with actress Melanie Good
  • "Casting China" (11 min) - a brand new interview with casting director Catrine McGregor
  • "Composing China" (11 min) - a brand new featurette with composers David Wheatley and Paul Antonelli
  • "The Making of a Martial Arts Movie" (40 min) - an archival making-of documentary on CHINA O'BRIEN featuring interviews with its cast/crew and rare behind-the-scenes footage
  • Video interview with Cynthia Rothrock and Richard Norton (26 min) - courtesy of the @CynthiaRothrockChannel on YouTube
  • Video interview with Cynthia Rothrock (12 min) - courtesy of the @CynthiaRothrockChannel on YouTube
  • Trailers
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • English SDH subtitles
  • Like 2

lilmanjs

For those who waited on China O'Brian from a US label, get it pre-ordered now! Is under $50 till Monday with their flash sale.

• Like 1

Yihetuan
16 minutes ago, lilmanjs said:

For those who waited on China O'Brian from a US label, get it pre-ordered now! Is under $50 till Monday with their flash sale.

I'm on the fence on this one. It's not a movie worth it for me to double dip, so I'll have to choose wisely. I really like the fact that the VS release has Frank Djeng/John Charles commentaries for both while the 88 is only for #2. But disappointed two of the included interviews for the VS releases are 3 year old interviews with Richard Norton & herself that can be found on her YT channel. On the other hand, it would be cool to see that Melanie Good interview. She has only a brief part as the stripper assassin but I thought that was one of the more enjoyable scenes. Even with the flash sale, the Eureka is cheaper since it's no tax and free shipping. Decisions, decisions!