The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

21 minutes ago, Jinha said:

Seems like they have another title coming out too but have no idea what it could based on the teaser banner.  What do you all think it could be?

oct1_2023_banner2_900x.jpg?v=1695613569

Two potential HK films in one month would be welcomed 👍

4 hours ago, nahnahnah said:

VS will be releasing Magic Crystal in October:

oct1_2023_banner1_900x.jpg?v=1695613547

img-cynthia-rothrock-and-richard-norton-

I might just skip this one this time around and get the 88 Films version, is someone like Samm Deighan knowledgable and interesting to listen to?

13 minutes ago, De Ming Li said:

I might just skip this one this time around and get the 88 Films version, is someone like Samm Deighan knowledgable and interesting to listen to?

She's okay but not particularly noteworthy for her in-depth knowledge of HK cinema. She's more of an enthusiast fan but she seems to do her research and not just wing it every commentary like another audio commentator who shall go unnamed. I listen to her cult movie podcast she does with Charles Perks, Twitch of the Death Nerve every now and then when she has an interesting topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

I'll be selling my VS Burning Paradise specifically because her commentary nearly put me to sleep. Gotta see if the Eureka! version is better and if I should keep that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanPospisil said:

I'll be selling my VS Burning Paradise specifically because her commentary nearly put me to sleep. Gotta see if the Eureka! version is better and if I should keep that one.

I've already given mine away to my work colleague. I didn't get very far with her commentary. Maybe about 7 seconds before ejecting the disc.

58 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

I've already given mine away to my work colleague. I didn't get very far with her commentary. Maybe about 7 seconds before ejecting the disc.

Luckily I've never had that problem with a girl.

:P

2 hours ago, JanPospisil said:

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

You guys are harsh. Her voice is actually soothing. I listen to her commentary for the ASMR.

15 minutes ago, Yihetuan said:

You guys are harsh. Her voice is actually soothing. I listen to her commentary for the ASMR.

Soothing? You want to do scaffolding for a living and listen her commentaries after work. You'll definitely need a kip listening to her.

I'm sure her commentaries are good, but just not for me.

15 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

Is this her? If so her voice sounds fine.

It sounds very slow paced. Like a YT video that's been slowed down a tad past its original audio setting. Maybe it's her dialect/accent then.

22 minutes ago, massa_yoda said:

Dang, I was gonna make that joke. Good job, Panda.

You need to travel a bit more then. I've met some real annoying and frustrating women with annoying accents.

17 hours ago, De Ming Li said:

I've only listened to her Come Drink With Me commentary (88 Films release) and I didn't like it. That's my opinion, polite version. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Super Ninja said:

I've only listened to her Come Drink With Me commentary (88 Films release) and I didn't like it. That's my opinion, polite version. 

It wasn't my intention to be rude. I just said it without feelings and not beating around the bush about it. Can't help being blunt. I'm sure she's very knowledgeable but just not for me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

It wasn't my intention to be rude. I just said it without feelings and not beating around the bush about it. Can't help being blunt. I'm sure she's very knowledgeable but just not for me.

Knowledgeable is not the word I'd use. 

Didn't mean you were being rude bud, it's just that @Yihetuan said some of the comments were harsh so I decided I'll play nice. However, I gotta say Samm lost the lead on my least favorite commentary list thanks to the Calamity of Snakes release. 

• Like 2

Just my two cents... I think Samm Deighan is very knowledgeable on certain areas of cinema. I've heard her chat about CAT III and she has a genuine passion for it. She knows horror, too. From multiple eras. But I have found that people tend to love or hate her. I don't know if it's a voice or style thing.
Personally, I listen to her Twitch of the Death Nerve podcast and find her super interesting and engaging, if a little monotone. But I can see how she's not people's cup of tea. I've yet to check out one of her commentaries though. I keep meaning to listen to her Erotic Ghost Story or The Chinese Boxer  commentary. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super Ninja said:

Didn't mean you were being rude bud, it's just that @Yihetuan said some of the comments were harsh so I decided I'll play nice. However, I gotta say Samm lost the lead on my least favorite commentary list thanks to the Calamity of Snakes release. 

nah, I was being sarcastic. You can be as rude as you want. I don't tone police anyone as I'm not a mod here. But I will say I'd rather listen to her than that one guy who constantly talks over his partner, talks about crap not related to anything to do with the film, blows his horn every chance he gets and name drops for no apparent reason than to humble brag. Other than that guy's commentary is okay.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Yes, shame about Calamity of Snakes.

• Like 1

Chemical Lemon

An Eternal Combat and Ghost Nursing arrived yesterday. Put Ghost Nursing in and was shocked how good the picture quality was. I’m still not sure if I’ve seen this one and so far it seems like a more pedestrian take on Seeding of a Ghost (which is not a bad thing). Surprised with how many decent sized stars were in this one. Also didn’t realize it was directed by Wilson Tong. If it turns out I haven’t seen it I’m not sure how this never ended up on my radar.

This is definitely my favorite VS release this year and probably ranks pretty high overall. I really hope they continue to lean into the smaller HK titles that are less likely to get released. Although these days smaller and obscure HK releases seem to have a ton of new labels scooping them up. 

IMG_9009.jpeg

• Like 8

VSA-039_case_front_pre_2646x.jpg?v=16960

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Presented in its original Cantonese language soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles, along with a English language dub track
  • Brand new and exclusive commentary track with film historians Frank Djeng and Ric Meyers
  • “Just Don’t Kill Me” - a brand new interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock
  • “Bin-Bin on Magic Crystal” - a brand new interview with actor Wen “Bin Bin” Chao-Yu
  • 16-page booklet with an essay by Erica Schultz
  • Original trailer
  • Double-sided poster
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • Newly translated English subtitles

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nahnahnah said:

VSA-039_case_front_pre_2646x.jpg?v=16960

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 2K from its 35mm original camera negative
  • Presented in its original Cantonese language soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles, along with a English language dub track
  • Brand new and exclusive commentary track with film historians Frank Djeng and Ric Meyers
  • “Just Don’t Kill Me” - a brand new interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock
  • “Bin-Bin on Magic Crystal” - a brand new interview with actor Wen “Bin Bin” Chao-Yu
  • 16-page booklet with an essay by Erica Schultz
  • Original trailer
  • Double-sided poster
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • Newly translated English subtitles

How is VS able to get this as well as 88 UK? I thought only one licence per company until it runs out.

5 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

How is VS able to get this as well as 88 UK? I thought only one licence per company until it runs out.

Regional rights.

• Like 1