The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

9GWJDJ7_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Additional info:

3-disc Region Free Set: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray x2

4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range

Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative

Presented in both its English language UNDEFEATABLE version and its wildly different BLOODY MARY KILLER version in both Cantonese and Mandarin with newly translated English subtitles

Brand new commentary track with actress Cynthia Rothrock (UNDEFEATABLE)

Brand new commentary track with filmmaker & film historian Brandon Bentley (BLOODY MARY KILLER)

"Godfrey Ho Discusses Undefeatable" (15 min) - a brand new interview with producer / director Godfrey Ho

"It’s a Cartoon with People" (18 min) - a brand new interview with cinematographer Phil Cook

"Street Fighter" (12 min) - a brand new interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock

"They Call Him Stingray" (25 min) - a brand new interview with actor Don Niam

"A Mind for Action" (16 min) - a brand new interview with actress / assistant director Donna Jason

"Cynthia Rothrock: A Legendary Life" (14 min) - a video essay by film historians Samm Deighan & Charles Perks

"Undefeatable vs. Bloody Mary Killer” (8 min) - a video essay comparing the two versions by filmmaker Chris O’Neill

Original trailers for both UNDEFEATABLE and BLOODY MARY KILLER

12-page booklet with an essay by writer and film historian Danielle Burgos

Reversible sleeve artwork

English SDH subtitles

• Like 5

ShawAngela
1 hour ago, nahnahnah said:

9GWJDJ7_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Additional info:

3-disc Region Free Set: 4K Ultra HD / Blu-ray x2

4K UHD presented in High-Dynamic-Range

Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm original camera negative

Presented in both its English language UNDEFEATABLE version and its wildly different BLOODY MARY KILLER version in both Cantonese and Mandarin with newly translated English subtitles

Brand new commentary track with actress Cynthia Rothrock (UNDEFEATABLE)

Brand new commentary track with filmmaker & film historian Brandon Bentley (BLOODY MARY KILLER)

"Godfrey Ho Discusses Undefeatable" (15 min) - a brand new interview with producer / director Godfrey Ho

"It’s a Cartoon with People" (18 min) - a brand new interview with cinematographer Phil Cook

"Street Fighter" (12 min) - a brand new interview with actress Cynthia Rothrock

"They Call Him Stingray" (25 min) - a brand new interview with actor Don Niam

"A Mind for Action" (16 min) - a brand new interview with actress / assistant director Donna Jason

"Cynthia Rothrock: A Legendary Life" (14 min) - a video essay by film historians Samm Deighan & Charles Perks

"Undefeatable vs. Bloody Mary Killer” (8 min) - a video essay comparing the two versions by filmmaker Chris O’Neill

Original trailers for both UNDEFEATABLE and BLOODY MARY KILLER

12-page booklet with an essay by writer and film historian Danielle Burgos

Reversible sleeve artwork

English SDH subtitles

Is it the same movie as Eureka Blonde Fury ?

legendarycurry
19 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Is it the same movie as Eureka Blonde Fury ?

it is not. This is a Godrey Ho production from 1993.

• Like 3

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/ninja-in-the-claws-of-the-cia

NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE CIA is part of our Vinegar Syndrome Archive collection, celebrating forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick & mortar video stores, with locations in Bridgeport, CT; Aurora, CO and soon to come Toronto, ON!

Unique to this line, each hand numbered limited edition release will come fitted in a specially designed, bottom loading VHS inspired slipcase, while also including a double-sided poster.

These releases will ONLY be available on our website and at participating indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. This slipcase edition (designed by Robert Sammelin) is strictly limited to 5,000 units and may (but probably not) be followed by a standard edition in the future.

---

John Liu is a world renowned martial arts expert who is recruited by the C.I.A. after his twin brother James Liu is injured. John's mission is to turn a ragtag bunch of soldiers into fierce fighters by teaching them the ways of martial arts. Unhappy by John's presence, a rogue military officer uses an emotionally unstable soldier named Wong to challenge John's physical abilities (as well as a sexy female soldier to challenge his mental focus!). Unbeknownst to John, the C.I.A. is conducting secret experiments on the soldiers by using hypnosis as a form of mind control. With the help of a data analyst named Caroline, John soon uncovers the truth behind the secret experiments, and together he and his new love interest flee with classified documents. Now on the run, John and Caroline are hunted throughout the world as danger lurks around every corner and no one can be trusted. Their only hope to survive is for John to use his martial arts skills as well as his cunning in order to stay one step ahead of their dangerous pursuers.

Written, directed, and starring martial artist John Liu (New York Ninja, Secret Rivals) in one of his many vanity projects, NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE C.I.A. (aka MADE IN CHINA) is a truly mind bending experience that defies logic as well as categorization. Shot primarily in Spain, NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE C.I.A. is an unusual martial arts film, not only due to its outrageous plot, but due to the fact that it feels more like a Eurocentric cult film thanks in part to its many filming locations as well as numerous international genre actors. Featuring "The Human Tornado" himself, Ho Wang (Warriors Two), as well as Mirta Miller (Santo vs. Doctor Death), Roger Paschy (Dragon Blood), Chrisitan Anders (Roots of Evil), Raquel Evans (Emmanuelle y Carol), and Spanish character actor Victor Israel (Horror Express). Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present this one of a kind martial arts film for the first time on Blu ray, newly restored from original film elements, and featuring additional scenes only present in the Spanish release, including an extended version of the now infamous training sequence where John Liu has to fight while trying to avoid being seduced!

directed by: John Liu
starring: John Liu, Mirta Miller, Ho Wang, Roger Paschy, Christian Anders, Raquel Evans, Victor Israel
1981 / 88 min / 1.85:1 / English Mono with Spanish language inserts

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Newly scanned & restored in 4K from its 35mm internegative
  • Brand new commentary track with film historian Chris Poggiali
  • Introduction by filmmaker Kurtis Spieler (re-director of New York Ninja)
  • "The Wonder of Vanity Action Films" (11 min) - a video essay by Justin Decloux
  • Original trailer
  • Promotional still gallery
  • Alternate ‘Made in China’ title card
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • English SDH subtitles

Screenshot_2023-05-26 Justin Decloux on Twitter.png

Screenshot_2023-05-26 ninjaintheclawsoftheciaboxfront_2048x jpg (WEBP Image, 2048 × 2048 pixels) - Scaled (33%).jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-26 ninjaintheclawsoftheciaslipback_2160x jpg (WEBP Image, 2048 × 2048 pixels) - Scaled (33%).jpg

Edited by Yihetuan
  • Like 4

Jizzmaster Jerry

Ha.  I love Undefeatable as much as the next dumbass, but I think that just the movie is good enough for this one.  It really doesn’t need a special edition.  And 4K?  Wtf?  Why?   Maybe 10 people will buy this.  But last I checked Hen’s Tooth DVD goes for  40 or 50.  I don’t think they made many copies.  I wonder why.  But I wish I had this special edition.  I just won’t pay for it.  Gotta pay the rent one of these months because the Covid excuse isn’t working anymore.   I’d watch all those special features.   25 minute interview with Stingray.  That’s gotta be a contender for special feature of the year.  

Edited by Jizzmaster Jerry

Drunken Monk

John Liu is a world renowned martial arts expert who is recruited by the C.I.A. after his twin brother James Liu is injured. John's mission is to turn a ragtag bunch of soldiers into fierce fighters by teaching them the ways of martial arts. Unhappy by John's presence, a rogue military officer uses an emotionally unstable soldier named Wong to challenge John's physical abilities (as well as a sexy female soldier to challenge his mental focus!). Unbeknownst to John, the C.I.A. is conducting secret experiments on the soldiers by using hypnosis as a form of mind control. With the help of a data analyst named Caroline, John soon uncovers the truth behind the secret experiments, and together he and his new love interest flee with classified documents. Now on the run, John and Caroline are hunted throughout the world as danger lurks around every corner and no one can be trusted. Their only hope to survive is for John to use his martial arts skills as well as his cunning in order to stay one step ahead of their dangerous pursuers.

Written, directed, and starring martial artist John Liu (New York Ninja, Secret Rivals) in one of his many vanity projects, NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE C.I.A. (aka MADE IN CHINA) is a truly mind bending experience that defies logic as well as categorization. Shot primarily in Spain, NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE C.I.A. is an unusual martial arts film, not only due to its outrageous plot, but due to the fact that it feels more like a Eurocentric cult film thanks in part to its many filming locations as well as numerous international genre actors. Featuring "The Human Tornado" himself, Ho Wang (Warriors Two), as well as Mirta Miller (Santo vs. Doctor Death), Roger Paschy (Dragon Blood), Chrisitan Anders (Roots of Evil), Raquel Evans (Emmanuelle y Carol), and Spanish character actor Victor Israel (Horror Express). Vinegar Syndrome Archive is proud to present this one of a kind martial arts film for the first time on Blu ray, newly restored from original film elements, and featuring additional scenes only present in the Spanish release, including an extended version of the now infamous training sequence where John Liu has to fight while trying to avoid being seduced!

starring: John Liu, Mirta Miller, Ho Wang, Roger Paschy, Christian Anders, Raquel Evans, Victor Israel

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • "The Wonder of Vanity Action Films" (11 min) - a video essay by Justin Decloux
  • Original trailer
  • English SDH subtitles

IMG_1155.webp

• Like 4

ShawAngela
Just now, Drunken Monk said:

infamous training sequence where John Liu has to fight while trying to avoid being seduced!

So, it looks that it's the same sequence as in Zen Kwun Do in Paris ! When I watched this movie, I wondered if John Liu wasn't a hidden sex addict, since there are so many sex scenes in it and a non sensical plot (at least for me) !

• Like 2

That cover looks like it's been taken from a shot of Don Wong Tao and not John Liu. Anyway,this movie is pretty bad, i've started to come to my senses a bit and i'm going to refrain from picking this up,nor Undefeatable.

• Like 2

Super Ninja
7 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collections/frontpage/products/ninja-in-the-claws-of-the-cia

NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE CIA is part of our Vinegar Syndrome Archive collection, celebrating forgotten cinematic oddities from the video store era. This collection was inspired by our own brick & mortar video stores, with locations in Bridgeport, CT; Aurora, CO and soon to come Toronto, ON!

Unique to this line, each hand numbered limited edition release will come fitted in a specially designed, bottom loading VHS inspired slipcase, while also including a double-sided poster.

These releases will ONLY be available on our website and at participating indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them. This slipcase edition (designed by Robert Sammelin) is strictly limited to 5,000 units and may (but probably not) be followed by a standard edition in the future.

---

Additional info:

• Region A Blu-ray
  • Original trailer
  • English SDH subtitles

Screenshot_2023-05-26 Justin Decloux on Twitter.png

Screenshot_2023-05-26 ninjaintheclawsoftheciaboxfront_2048x jpg (WEBP Image, 2048 × 2048 pixels) - Scaled (33%).jpg

Screenshot_2023-05-26 ninjaintheclawsoftheciaslipback_2160x jpg (WEBP Image, 2048 × 2048 pixels) - Scaled (33%).jpg

Nice! Gonna get that. Now if Zen Kwan Do could be next, that would be fantastic.

• Like 2

Beardys Feather
33 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

So, it looks that it's the same sequence as in Zen Kwun Do in Paris ! When I watched this movie, I wondered if John Liu wasn't a hidden sex addict, since there are so many sex scenes in it and a non sensical plot (at least for me) !

He was found guilty of sexual abuse of minors in Spain...So not so hidden here. Makes these 'vanity project' films seem pretty grim. Not sure why they're being dug out to be honest. :puke

• Like 1

americanpzycho
10 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

Ha.  I love Undefeatable as much as the next dumbass, but I think that just the movie is good enough for this one.  It really doesn’t need a special edition.  And 4K?  Wtf?  Why?   Maybe 10 people will buy this.  But last I checked Hen’s Tooth DVD goes for  40 or 50.  I don’t think they made many copies.  I wonder why.  But I wish I had this special edition.  I just won’t pay for it.  Gotta pay the rent one of these months because the Covid excuse isn’t working anymore.   I’d watch all those special features.   25 minute interview with Stingray.  That’s gotta be a contender for special feature of the year.  

So far they have sold around 4400 copies. I think that is wild but I still bought one:BL-Exclamation:

6 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I don't know if he was a sex addict or not but I think the prurient scenes in his films was just part of his vanity project and to get more eyes on his movies. Exploitative stuff especially of a sexual nature always sells in genre film and he wasn't making a standard conventional kung fu or martial arts movie anyway.

dionbrother
4 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

I don't know if he was a sex addict or not but I think the prurient scenes in his films was just part of his vanity project and to get more eyes on his movies. Exploitative stuff especially of a sexual nature always sells in genre film and he wasn't making a standard conventional kung fu or martial arts movie anyway.

T&A was a big part of the genre around that time, particularly in films meant for the export markets like Liu's.

The movie sucks but I enjoy the action and idiocy.  Picking up my copy at The Archive in Aurora this weekend!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dionbrother said:

T&A was a big part of the genre around that time, particularly in films meant for the export markets like Liu's.

The movie sucks but I enjoy the action and idiocy.  Picking up my copy at The Archive in Aurora this weekend!

Same here. It's a shit movie but I'm buying for the time warp of cheesiness and the novelty. Chris Poggiali is a fun listen too. Another bonus is J. DeCloux's video essay. I always enjoyed the video essays he did for Gold Ninja, so I'm expecting more of the same here.

• Like 3

Jizzmaster Jerry
7 hours ago, americanpzycho said:

So far they have sold around 4400 copies. I think that is wild but I still bought one:BL-Exclamation:

That is awesome.  Good to know.  Maybe it still has some YouTube popularity and people are interested in it.  The final fight was posted and it blew up for awhile.  This was over a decade ago.  And it’s why I bought the movie.  

• Like 2

dionbrother
19 hours ago, Jizzmaster Jerry said:

That is awesome.  Good to know.  Maybe it still has some YouTube popularity and people are interested in it.  The final fight was posted and it blew up for awhile.  This was over a decade ago.  And it’s why I bought the movie.  

Rothrock has a following that goes beyond the typical Hong Kong flick and it's international.  The sales do not surprise me.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dionbrother said:

Rothrock has a following that goes beyond the typical Hong Kong flick and it's international.  The sales do not surprise me.

I think a big reason is that she appeals to martial artists, which is a great move. She's great on screen

• Like 2

sifu iron perm

What happened to the Ninja in the Claws of the CIA order?

It doesnt appear on the VS page and ive placed an order..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sifu iron perm said:

What happened to the Ninja in the Claws of the CIA order?

It doesnt appear on the VS page and ive placed an order..

They closed the main store until the end of the month and reserved this month for Partner labels only. I'm still waiting for my stuff to be shipped so it might take a while (only because when they announced this flick, it was during their big Halfway to Black Friday Sale). 

• Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
Just now, Ah_Tao said:

They closed the main store until the end of the month and reserved this month for Partner labels only. I'm still waiting for my stuff to be shipped so it might take a while (only because when they announced this flick, it was during their big Halfway to Black Friday Sale). 

Thank you Ah_Tao!

I was thinking how VS are always on point with prompt delivery times and info updates.

• Like 1

Just now, sifu iron perm said:

Thank you Ah_Tao!

I was thinking how VS are always on point with prompt delivery times and info updates.

You're welcome! Yeah it's a bit strange but it's something they been doing these days. I think (take my word with a grain of salt on this one) that they also do the same thing after Black Friday in November.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Summer Subscriber week is live now.

No martial arts film included this time. Too bad, I was so looking forward to it.

:sad

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lastninja said:

Summer Subscriber week is live now.

No martial arts film included this time. Too bad, I was so looking forward to it.

:sad

Me too, that Shaolin VS WuTong tease is hard not to get excited about...

• Like 1

ChillyChong

Pretty dull (imo) vinegar schedule for rest of the year. Going to get Delirium eventually(when there is something else to buy too) and probably HK horror, that is maybe all for this year unless something interesting in 2 Black Friday titles. While money not exactly trouble I think it`s not bad some company does not release much interesting for a while. There is no shortage in buyings near future (BL box, Angel Enforcers, Cheetah on fire, Double Impact, She shoots straight, postman fights back...) and can fill some gaps missed earlier this+last year too.

• Like 1