The Vinegar Syndrome Blu-ray Thread

On 1/7/2023 at 2:21 PM, DiP said:

Sweet! Not among Ringo Lam's most popular movies  but in terms of sheer Lam-style grittiness, it's up there with the On Fire trilogy, Wild Search, Full Contact, and Full Alert. Maybe Eureka will release it in the near future?

This disc is an All Regions release, so I don't think so. When they put out Righting Wrongs and Iceman Cometh they were only Region A. But you never know...

• Like 1

One Armed Boxer

Good news for you guys based in the U.S., Australia's Umbrella Entertainment have teamed up with Vinegar Syndrome to become one of their partner labels. UE have been cranking out some killer limited edition releases here in Australia of titles like 'OldBoy' and 'Megaforce', not to mention the most loaded version of 'The Man from Hong Kong' out there, so great to see that this will make their titles more accessible/affordable to those of us living beyond down under shores!

https://www.facebook.com/158674078780/posts/pfbid031dmrUHhikmKGKgDtLCxJhYQmXfDkxQURV9N2igY4wECnwf233MzXmfJ5ygKBZxX6l/?mibextid=BUZLm6

• Like 8

This special limited edition spot gloss slipcover (designed by Robert Sammelin) is limited to 6,000 units and is only available on our website and at select indie retailers. Absolutely no major retailers will be stocking them.

Invincible and Bee are two wannabe gangsters who spend their days hanging around the mall selling bootleg DVDs. When they aren't committing petty crimes and trying to pick up girls, the two hoodlums run errands for their low level Triad boss. When one of these errands involves them picking up their boss's car from the mechanic, things take a turn for the two delinquents when they accidentally hit a man walking in the middle of the road. Trying to hide their crime, Invincible and Bee bring the man's body to the mall in order to figure out their next move. Little do they know that the man has been infected with an experimental bio-weapon that has turned him into a zombie. When the man's corpse doesn't stay put, it's only a matter of time before the victims start piling up and the mall soon becomes overrun by a zombie horde trapping a group of shoppers inside. Will Invincible and Bee step up to become heroes and save the day or will their slacker nature get the best of them dooming all inside?

Directed by one of Hong Kong's most prominent action directors, Wilson Yip (Ip Man, SPL: Kill Zone), BIO ZOMBIE is a neon-filled zombie comedy bursting at the guts with 90s flare. Featuring a cast of likable characters lead by Jordan Chan (Young and Dangerous) and Sam Lee (Gen-X Cops) as Invincible and Bee, as well as a strong supporting cast featuring Emotion Cheung (The Demon's Baby), Angela Tong (Honour of the Gods), and Suk-Mui Tam (Fist of Legend). Vinegar Syndrome is proud to present this gory slice of 90s nostalgia on Blu-ray for the first time, restored from studio supplied masters.

directed by: Wilson Yip
starring: Jordan Chan, Sam Lee, Emotion Cheung, Angela Tong, Suk-Mui Tam, Yiu-Cheung Lai, Tat-Wah Lok, Frankie Chan
1998 / 94 min / 1.85:1 / Cantonese 2.0 Stereo

Additional info:

• Region Free Blu-ray
  • Studio supplied master with additional restoration performed by VS
  • Presented in both it's original Cantonese language soundtrack with newly translated English subtitles and a Mandarin language dub track
  • Brand new commentary track with film historian Frank Djeng
  • "Bio Zombie" - an interview with co-writer/director Wilson Yip by Frédéric Ambroisine
  • "Video Games, Contaminated Lucozade and Human Sushi" - a video essay by film historian Chris O’Neill
  • Alternate Ending of Bio-Zombie
  • 20-page booklet with essay by author Rod Lott and film programmer / writer Ariel Esteban Cayer
  • Reversible sleeve artwork
  • Newly translated English subtitles

1CECB0C9-0928-43B4-849C-9BF289B36917.jpeg

E7C6134A-EEAB-4E61-B5BB-9E83CA3FC3D9.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice to see Djeng in a Vinegar Syndrome release finally! Bio Zombie's a lot of fun but I'm surprised this is the "Gory HK horror" they had teased for this month. I don't remember it being particularly gory.

• Like 3

Niklaus Vogel
3 hours ago, panzer said:

Nice to see Djeng in a Vinegar Syndrome release finally! Bio Zombie's a lot of fun but I'm surprised this is the "Gory HK horror" they had teased for this month. I don't remember it being particularly gory.

Frank Djeng has now done commentary for Eureka, 88 Films, Arrow, Chameleon Films, and Vinegar Syndrome. Will Shout Factory be next? I wonder if he has done commentary for their upcoming Jackie Chan Vol. 2 set?

• Like 2

here's a coupon code anyone can use during the Valentine's sale: vinegarvalentine

It takes $5 off which essentially gives you free shipping if you choose the standard media mail shipping option

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 3

ChillyChong
11 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Looks like a must for me, thanks!!

For me too. Very long time ago saw picture of SI in Ric Meyers book "martial arts movies". Girls were fighting apes and there was a note "chinese movie at most stupidest" . Will go for non-slip release , art on cardboard is far from tempting.

Edited by ChillyChong
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Chemical Lemon said:

Ah. I mentioned this on the boutique label thread. But maybe as a partner label it belongs here. AGFA releasing Shaolin Invincibles and seven to one

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/products/shaolin-invincibles-seven-to-one

Seven to one...Youhouhouhou  !!

Finally some releases of old superb movies ! I hope that they'll release Seven Spirit Pagoda too, one day !

• Like 4

This is a must have for me, too.

Hopefully there is more to come. Love those 70s martial arts movies from taiwan.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, lastninja said:

This is a must have for me, too.

Hopefully there is more to come. Love those 70s martial arts movies from taiwan.

I preordered it just a few minutes ago in order to be sure that I won't miss it !

• Like 2

Beardys Feather

Brilliant to see some proper old school films being released... I'll definitely support this! :laluot_02:

Not sure why they went for the gorilla shot over Chia Ling or Carter Wong for the cover! 

• Like 5
  • Buddha Bless You 1

Killer Meteor
5 hours ago, Beardys Feather said:

Brilliant to see some proper old school films being released... I'll definitely support this! :laluot_02:

Not sure why they went for the gorilla shot over Chia Ling or Carter Wong for the cover! 

Gorillas always sell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Beardys Feather
16 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Gorillas always sell.

It's true. I like the cover and I guess it reflects the exploitation vibe they're going for! That said, the Polly cover is much better :bs_thumbsup:

• Like 1

Super Ninja
On 3/3/2023 at 6:20 PM, ironfistedmonk said:

Yeah I pre-ordered too, my first purchase from Vinegar Syndrome, couldn't resist 

First purchase from VS for me as well, preordered last night.

Also, not a fan of that slipcase, picked the standard. 

• Like 2

Pre ordered mine before bed last night. There hasn't been a Vinegar Syndrome release I bought that I didn't enjoy. Even New York Ninja was a load of fun. I'm hella happy they're restoring releasing both western, Hong Kong, and Taiwanese flicks that no one else is touching 

• Like 5

When an evil lord schemes to learn the secrets of Shaolin kung fu and Wu Tang sword by pitting the two schools against each other, it’s up to their top two students to team up to stop him from becoming the supreme master. The film that gave the Wu-Tang Clan its name (not to mention some of its most famous samples), SHAOLIN VS. WU TANG features all the hallmarks of the best of kung fu cinema: exhilarating fights, training montages, and an elaborate, abstract title sequence that could double for a modern dance performance. Starring and directed by martial arts legend Gordon Liu and featuring action choreography by Lau Kar-leung, SHAOLIN VS. WU TANG smashes and slashes back in a new 4K preservation from the only known 35mm print in existence.

No disc announced yet, but should be through VS as AGFA is a partner label.

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 2

AlexanderFu
On 3/3/2023 at 1:20 PM, Beardys Feather said:

Looking at that cover, I'd take Chia Ling any day. :thumbsup Then again, I'd take her over almost anything. :angel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1