Handrolled Cigarette (2021) - HK / Gordon Lam

laagi

Receiving a lot of praise and nominated for 8 Golden Horse Awards. Including Best Action choreography. I also like the gritty look of the trailer. Something to look forward to.

• Like 4

Gordon Lam kept himself busy in 2021. While delivering one of the best movies of 2021 with Limbo here we see him in a more low key crime drama.

I had this on my watch list eversince I watched the trailer. I love these Neo Noir inspirede HK flicks.

And while this is far from a masterpiece and certainly not in the same league as Limbo it still delivers a nice little HK crime drama. This is largely due to our two protagonists Gordon Lam as Kwan Chu and in his first ever big screen appearance  (if I'm not mistaken) Bipin Karma as Mani. Especially the latter is very likeable and for a first-time he does a damn good job!

It's also interesting how many social issues the movie attempts to tackle. Probably one too many at times. Not that it's necessarily bad but it never scratches beneath the surface. 

Also if you're looking for action you'll have to wait right up to the very end. It's also interesting how it was shot. While steady a lot of it seems chaotic, hence more realistic. It's more like watching a bunch of guys hanging on for dear life. Almost like watching a dog fight in all it's chaos. Which at first put me off and later actually made me appreciate it.

Overall I'd give this a recommendation. Just because I wished we'd see more movies like this (not gonna happen anytime soon) out of Hong Kong. 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
On 11/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, laagi said:

Overall I'd give this a recommendation. Just because I wished we'd see more movies like this (now gonna happen anytime soon) out of Hong Kong. 

Agreed, and I think I actually liked this one more than you did! I gave it the full review treatment over at COF (and for anyone who's yet to check it out, it's now available on Netflix) - 

https://cityonfire.com/hand-rolled-cigarette-2021-review/

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

One Armed Boxer
18 minutes ago, laagi said:

The HK DVD as well as Blu-Ray is already out. So that's the best bet for anyone who wants to watch the movie.

The dangers of typing on a smartphone rather than a keyboard - autocorrect changed ‘now’ to ‘not’! Have amended my original post, but ‘Hand Rolled Cigarette’ is definitely AVAILABLE on Netflix!

• Like 2

The beginning was slow but once the story moved on and focused on the Indian (or Pakistani?) actors, I interested me alot. Loved the outcome of it all afterward: Gordon Lam's chemistry with the actor who plays Mani -- in one of those awkward but yet fascinating and appealing "hate-appreciate" relations in movies , and a bunch of angry triad members on manhunting, with a satisfying climax of brutal violence and intense acting.

The most remarkable thing is that this is a pure Hong Kong production, something of a rarity these days. The movie looks and feels authentic, just like Hong Kong movies used to be in the 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s. You can also tell by the low-budget-ry vibe through its' economical and meticulous direction and handling of everything: Editing, music, cinematography/lensing, locations. There's nothing artificial or overdone in the shots, it's rich with details and meaningful content. That's how it should be done! Going back to the roots. 👏👏👏

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1