Hong Kong Gunplay Films

Guest C4

Hi there everyone.

I was just wondering if you could reccomend some good Hong kong gunplay films. Ive been into them for a while now and have got all the bigger titles like the John Woo and Tsui Haark films, and was hoping you could help me dig a little deeper into this category of film.

Cheers.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest goliamoto

Some gunplay titles that occur to me now:

Full Contact, Full Alert, Gunmen, Organized Crime and Triad Bureau, Fatal Vacation, A day without policemen, City Warriors,The Dragon Family, Taxi Hunter, The Mission, The Big Heat, Fury.

Guest Dragon Le

_Possible Spoilers_____

____

______

Rich and Famous and Tragic Hero are 2 early gunplay flicks that are sometimes overlooked. They make a great companion piece to Woo's A Better Tomorrow movies in true HK style.

Woo does a mansion - Tragic Hero throws in a mansion 'and' a swimming pool

Woo uses Grenades? - Tragic Hero uses 'rocket propelled' grenades....

Woo kills a brother (Leslie Cheung RIP) - Tragic Hero takes out an orphanage...

Obvious cash-in aside, the 2 movies are a great homage, and far closer to the essence of hong kong gunplay movies that were circulating around the time.

:)

Guest Markgway

I believe that MIA's UK DVD of TRAGIC HERO is a royal POS.

I imagine that Mei Ah's is much better... but interlaced.

Any confirms?

One Armed Boxer

On another note, I see a couple of posters on here mentioned 'City Warriors' as a recommendation....anyone have any more specific opinions on this one? I've contemplated picking it up a few times.

A few other little gems worth a mention:

To be number one, City war, The last blood (shamelessly marketed as hard boiled 2 in the UK), cheap killers, killers romance (really low budget but strong hearted), pom pom and hot hot, (Crap title,good action) curry and pepper and days of being dumb (these 2 gun-play comadies have the same director and themes, i would say DOBD is better than the more popular C&P though), fulltime killer is good and seems to pay homage to Woo style gun-play. Any other modern Johnny To thriller is good, but for gun action Exiled stands out.

Been at least 5 years since I bought any of these movies I mentioned so not sure about their dvd or vcd availability. Checkout yesasia.com or dddhouse. maybe amazon or ebay if you feel lucky.

Moose, I think you'll find a lot of the early posts allowed for guests. Some became members when you had to become a member to post and others never came back, in a posting capacity anyway.

Archived