New Police Story (2004)

Guest shaolindogpaw

Guest shaolindogpaw

Just watched this movie the other day. I thought Jack did a great job in this movie. His acting was the best and the story was solid.

Question: Whats the guys name who plays his partner through the movie? And has he been an anything else? I really liked his style.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drunken Monk

• saltysam

• DragonClaws

• JackieRome

I finally gave New Police Story I go and recorded a subtitled version off TCM. I have to say Ive not seen many of Jackie Chan's post Rush Hour 3 films with the exception of The Forbidden Kingdom & Karate Kid.

My expectations for this one were very low but I have to say I did enjoy watching it. I'm not sure I would say the same thing if Id paid a lot for the film or expected another JC classic. This film is far from the standard of the first two entries in the Police Story series. But after all the guys old enough to have a bus pass so I cant be too critical.

Im pretty much out of touch with contemporary HK films. I stopped keeping up with the new releases around the time A Man Called Hero and Purple Storm came out. HK films now appear more like Hollywood productions and appear to have lost of a lot of their character & unique style. NPS falls into this category a bit but there's some some great action set pieces and Chan's clearly put his own stamp on the production. The films villain's were very over the top and annoying. This made me root for Chan's character more, but they really did appear to be trying too hard.

Not a film Id buy but one I might watch again if given the chance . Id love to love to see Chan put all his efforts into working behind the camera with some new talent. Maybe I should give Chinese Zodiac a chance next?, read some pretty negative comments/reviews about that one.

As a Chan fan, I love this film for many things, and I consider it his swan song (the story behind its making, with the return to Hong Kong after the various crap in America to make this film and return number one, always fascinates me) but the first part with his colleagues hanging, him crying 3-4 times with those exaggerated bursts of crying and the shopping cart where he puts his colleagues to take them away; it always made me laugh and I think it makes many Western viewers laugh. He was already presenting some of Jackie's idiosyncrasies that would break out in the following years: excessive melodrama, a few cables to get help (but still doing incredible things for her age), excessive heroism, the Chinese police as heroes who would defeat anyone, and siding with young stars (although many will also become good, like Daniel Wu); which will get worse in Chinese Zodiac for example, with young Chinese stars who should make Jackie laugh and imitate the things she did. It's all quite rhetorical, but it always has great cinematic moments.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

Better than I remembered. Benny Chan really knew how to many an entertaining flick. It's tonally all over the place but weirdly, that doesn't cause any problems. It balances its moroseness with its cheese really well...or least in a very inoffensive way. It pulls off being both emotional and silly and fun.
I don't love Nicholas Tse in this one as he seems to inconsequential to the story. He's just there. Jackie KILLS it though. He pulls off some of his best dramatic acting here, in my opinion.
Action-wise, it's a solid mix. The fisticuffs are great with the highlight being Jackie squaring off against Andy On (or Andy On's double) in a Lego store. There's some good gunplay and the prerequisite stunts too. All in all, it makes for a great watch. My only gripe being that it's a smidgen over-long.

• Like 2

Yeah NPS is quite decent. I owned the blu for years but had never watched it, finally gave it a go last year and was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

J.J. Hayden
3 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

The fisticuffs are great with the highlight being Jackie squaring off against Andy On (or Andy On's double) in a Lego store.

For anyone unaware, that double was Park Hyeon-jin, fantastic kicker, gymnast and gluten for punishment. :P 

• Like 1

Drunken Monk
38 minutes ago, J.J. Hayden said:

For anyone unaware, that double was Park Hyeon-jin, fantastic kicker, gymnast and gluten for punishment. :P 

Andy On is a naturally gifted on screen fighter but Park Hyeon-jin definitely adds some flare. He’s well hidden too due to the mask and shaggy hair.

• Like 1